Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Local Craigslist seller has above unit listed for $295. This will be my first snowblower and I’m not knowledgeable on repairs and such, but can learn as needed. Just worried about the motor being Tecumseh as I’ve heard parts are becoming obsolete.

it looks to be in good condition and they’re the 2nd owner and put a new carb recently.

is 5HP enough for 24” width? I saw something from total mechanic about having a 1:4 ratio at least so it won’t stall out.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
some parts have become hard to find for techs , LCT owns all the tech rights has been good at keeping important parts flowing

as to 5 hp on a 24, one learns how to use the machine by simply slowing down, taking smaller bites into the dreaded end of driveway piles

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
One issue with that model is the old tires. They offer zero traction and probably have age cracks. Rather than spending money on inner tubes and tire chains, you'd want to invest in new Carlisle X-Trac tires. Be sure to add the cost of two tires and mounting fees.
Personally, I'd keep looking for a larger machine. At least in my area, these have low resale value if you decide to upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
XTrac tires will set you back 50-80 dollars , depending where you buy them, and then you have to install them, which is a talent, even with the mini tire changer, unless you pay someone to change them at an additional cost as well. In this area, CT, you can get a good solid machine, all ready to go for 250-350 ... I just sold 4 units, 2 Ariens, a Craftsman and a Bolens, all for 250.00 each.

Going to pick up a Bolens little 521 today for 25.00 that needs some love. I had one that I sold my brother, I love those little Bolens, and I really did not want to sell it, so it is cool I came across its twin brother.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Nice machine but WAY overpriced! There's no money for repairs. $295 is a winter price and maybe a storm coming soon.

How's the belts? How's the friction disk?

I have the same machine but an ST522. I like it. For 5hp I prefer 22". For 24" or 26" I prefer 8hp.

·
Retired Moderator
9,963 Posts
Welcome to SBF Mike

I'd have to agree that the price is just too high. IMHO I'd keep looking.
What to look for:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree keep looking and try to find a model that doesn't require a CAMshaft PTO for the disk drive.....Perhaps your best bet is to save up $800 for a NEW entry level machine or an electric single stage if you are on a budget and not as mechanically inclined...that 932 is 1980's budget tech, and newer budget machines are more user friendly these days. Then again if you live in Milwaukee, you may want to start with a good used full sized machine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts