Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Auger Belt makes a Squeaking Sound when it is engaged. It is quiet

after that. It's a new belt. Is the idler too tight ?

Ariens 9 hp - 924 I Believe.

Thanks for Help !!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Have you tried spinning the idler just to see if maybe the bearing is the noise ??

If it's the belt might be that it's too new and the face of it needs to get roughed up a bit. What belt did you put on there (Ariens OEM, Gates, ... ??

·
Registered
755 Posts
Have you tried spinning the idler just to see if maybe the bearing is the noise ??

If it's the belt might be that it's too new and the face of it needs to get roughed up a bit. What belt did you put on there (Ariens OEM, Gates, ... ??

its not unusual for there to be some belt noise when you first engage it. Remember the engine is turning and everything is standing still. You will get some belt slippage, but this is normal.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
its not unusual for there to be some belt noise when you first engage it. Remember the engine is turning and everything is standing still. You will get some belt slippage, but this is normal.
Yea normal. The engine is turning at 3600 rpm and the impeller at 0 rpm. There is a lot of weight to get moving as well. The belt will slip some. That is why most people never disengage the auger once they start. If your engine has an adjustable throttle you can try throttling down to engage it and then bringing it back up to speed slowly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belt type

I think it is a Stein Belt. Not OEM. I thought there may be too much

tension on belt. With machine off, there is some slack.

I could not tighten the old belt, but somehow it worked last winter.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts