Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First time Ariens owner. Just did a post season maintenance interval on an Ariens Platinum SHO 24. I had a lot of difficulty reinstalling the bottom cover. Specifically, the 4 hex bolts that screw into the side clamp nuts were a bear to get in. Is there some simple trick I am missing?

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Of all the snowblower I've owned (15-20) I have not had a problem with the bottom cover or the bolts. Should just drop into place and install bolts. Maybe youtube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, perhaps they were stripped on installation. Next year I might pick up a new set of bolts and retainer nuts and see how that goes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm with you George. I don't own one that new but have worked on enough to say the side bolts are a pure PIA.
Sad design that makes no sense, they could easily run them in the bottom. The clips they use for threads suck.
Honestly the newer version Ariens have problems with engineering regarding thread quality and the direction of bolt attachment. For a fix, I have replaced the clips with automotive body ones, but had to switch the bolts. Removing tires makes it easier, but that can be a new project as I don't think Ariens put grease on anything since 2010.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, my axle shafts were completely dry when I removed the tires. Thanks for the tip on the auto body nuts, will look into them!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey all,

First time Ariens owner. Just did a post season maintenance interval on an Ariens Platinum SHO 24. I had a lot of difficulty reinstalling the bottom cover. Specifically, the 4 hex bolts that screw into the side clamp nuts were a bear to get in. Is there some simple trick I am missing?
I discovered this as well, and I am a 1st time Ariens owner as well. Mechanically inclined, I could not believe the trouble I was having putting on the bottom cover. What I did was removed the clips the bolt thread into, put them on an anvil, and gently pounded them flat. Once I did this, the bolts threaded in so much easier..not perfect, but it took me minutes instead of ages, and with much less "expressive language".

·
Registered
457 Posts
Same here on my Compact 24....PITA, aligning bolts to thread clips....WTF,, I also gently tap retainer on vise....Greased and oil service complete.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes indeed, they are a PIA!! The threads don't lie perpendicular to the path of the bolt. I thought I was going crazy. Took them all off, pushed in a nail as a fulcrum, and pinched them with pliers until the threads were better aligned.
I like the idea of replacing them with an automotive speed nut.
You are absolutely correct in your observations. My unit was new last fall, so maybe it's a more current issue. The wheel axels were also dry and rusting. Needed a wire brush and some marine grease.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wrote up this problem over a year ago here when I got my new Pro32. The solution is indeed to correct the clipnuts they use. Would that they had used pemnuts but they are more expensive (good parts cost money). So just commit to the need to rework this particular part of an Ariens machine and re-design it to what Ariens should have done in the first place. Once you get the clipnuts to sit properly on the metal, the panel will go on much more smoothly.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hey all,

I had one RapidTrak last year were I had a really hard time getting the side nuts to accept the bolts. I ended up "forcing" them in with an impact wrench.
It appeared they were tightened too much when the unit was assembled.
I then ordered a new set so the next time I remove the bottom plate I can replace them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,

If your remove the tires watch that you don’t lose that little “square key” on the axle. I had and didn’t know it and wondered why it didn’t track correctly.
Had to order a new one from “Repair Plus”

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you remove the tires to service the bottom cover watch that you don’t lose that tiny “square key” that fits in the axle groove. I had and didn’t know it and wondered why the Platinum 24 didn’t track correctly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have no problem with the screws and retaining nuts on my machine. The panel comes off and goes on precisely. The screws enter the first part of nuts for alignment and then just thread right in. Ariens may have changed the part after my machine was built at the end of 2014.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That would be the way to do it. What they call a "dog point" screw (common in the automotive industry) going into a clip-nut with no threading for 1/8 of an inch. OR.... PEM nuts like someone else already said. Extra labor costs on PEM nut installation keeps it from happening.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey all,

curious, what is the bottom cover pulled for? what maintenance task? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You pull the bottom cover to oil the chain and grease the gears and transverse rod for the drive mechanism. It is listed as an annual task in the maintenance interval chart.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got a 24 Platinum. Routinely take the service plate off and have no problems during reinstallation.

What I do is to thread the bolts on finger tight, then back them out slightly, and finally finger tight again. (Make certain the bolts are not cross threaded). After this I'll drive them home with a Dewalt Impact driver.

Sounds like you stripped the nuts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts