Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings I'm a new member from Norway馃槉

I resentley bought my first snowblower. My budget wasn't the biggest but since i heard good things about Ariens, i ended up with a brand new Classic ST24E. I love the look and feel of it and it really feels like a piece of quality. Can't wait til the snow is coming to try it.

But there is something that's bugs my mind. Afterward I realised this blower has the aluminium gearbox and not the cast Iron gearbox. So, have i bought my self some piece of garbage or will it do the job for me in the years coming?

Registered
It depends on how much snow you plan to move. How much snow do you get, and how big is your driveway.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
My driveway is 50ft long and 15ft wide. Total amount of snow uses to be around 3,3ft, but of course it vary how much it comes at once.

Registered
Don't worry about the gearbox until (if) you have problems with it.

Registered
Are the gears inside hardened steels? If they are, then there is nothing to worry about. The aluminum housing on my snowblower is thick. I haven't heard any problem with those gear boxes, yet. Aluminum is lighter, dissipate heat faster and doesn't rust. People like change (it helps them sell more), but that doesn't mean they are better, or huge improvement. Just look at the auto-turn feature for example. It is convenient, but hard to keep it straight in certain conditions, doesn't matter how you adjust it. I prefer remote trigger steering over it, or just solid axle.

Registered
I've seen aluminum gear housings on blowers in 42"-48" range on garden/ lawn tractor mounted units. Seems a very large majority of all blowers have them without issues. Read the owners manual, buy a bottle of the correct lubricant, check/service it every preseason and clear your yard of obstructions. No need to worry about it.

Reactions: paulm12

Registered
At one point they switched back to all cast iron(for full sized) when they introduced the top loader, but I think that was because they just found a novel less expensive way to make them. You may have a compact frame unit, what is the model number? Anyways the aluminum top loaders are fine, they won't break before your shear pins. Only problems I had with the ALU clamshell ones was on a 926 series, It leaked but the guy was using it commercially to clear the gated community sidewalks. Iron is a bit overkill on a compact, but there were a few models that had them so if anyone breaks the ALU it's less than $200 for the compact iron gearbox kit and your old rakes will work.

Registered
Aluminum is the most common. There are aluminium gear boxes on snow blowers for 40+ years without a problem, cast iron is nice but not necessary.

Registered
My driveway is 50ft long and 15ft wide. Total amount of snow uses to be around 3,3ft, but of course it vary how much it comes at once.
Another thing you'll learn is that it's not the total amount of snowfall that matters , but rather it's the total amount over say a 12 hour period combined with the frequency it happens. Like say the amount it snows from when you eat supper until you can get to it the next morning. If it accumulates let's say more than 25CM overnight at a frequency of dozens of times per season. Then you're probably going to want to clear just before you go to bed if you know there is more on the way. Where I live this only happens less than half a dozen times per year plus I have a full size so I never have to worry. I just find out what came down and then clear it at my convienience. If this only happens infrequently where you live then you'll never have to over work either because your machine can handle more (but it gets old if you let it pile too high too frequently). You'll see from experience that you'll also want it to accumulate to say to at least 10cm because 2 stage likes to be loaded up a bit (even though it will still handle less)

Registered
Greetings I'm a new member from Norway馃槉

I resentley bought my first snowblower. My budget wasn't the biggest but since i heard good things about Ariens, i ended up with a brand new Classic ST24E. I love the look and feel of it and it really feels like a piece of quality. Can't wait til the snow is coming to try it.

But there is something that's bugs my mind. Afterward I realised this blower has the aluminium gearbox and not the cast Iron gearbox. So, have i bought my self some piece of garbage or will it do the job for me in the years coming?
hello in Norway ariens does make great equipment have a 30 year old blower putting back together model 924030

Registered
Jeg har en Ariens ST824 fra tidlig 80-tallet. Kj酶pte den lett brukt av en kar p氓 jobben. Min innkj酶rsel var ogs氓 omlag 15 meter den gangen, men etter at jeg ble pensjonist, ryddet jeg ofte innkj酶rselen til fire, fem naboer ogs氓, slik at de skulle slippe 氓 m氓tte m氓ke for 氓 komme seg av veien n氓r de kom hjem fra jobben. Jeg var ogs氓 litt skuffet da jeg opdaget at girkassa var aluminium, men den holdt i mange 氓r. For et par 氓r siden gikk den istykker, men det var drevet inni som var utslitt, og det hadde vel egentlig ikke noe 氓 gj酶re med det faktum at kassa var aluminium. Litt sjokkert da jeg fant ut at Ariens ikke kunne skaffe delen som trengtes, men jeg fant kinesisk kopi p氓 internett, og det har fungert fint siden. Da f氓r jeg bemerke at n氓 bruker jeg den bare til sm氓rydding nermest huset, da vi har nesten 300 meter innkj酶rsel, s氓 jeg kj酶pte en 30 hester diesel traktor med 63 tommer bred frontmontert sn酶freser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts