Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased the Compact 24 for my daughter and have found that 1st gear still seems way too fast for certain conditions.

Without having a throttle option (which I would have likely tried first) I did follow the book instructions and adjusted the speed selector arm to the closest position I could get to without going in reverse. However for the heavy snow I can see this will still be far too fast. I am looking for the creeper type gear I have on my Deluxe 28 (and may not in a position to swap machines with her).

Looking for suggestions on what other options I may have available.

Font Number Document Pattern Screenshot

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps checking the rpm would be a good idea.
Does it also reverse excessively fast?
With only 2 reverse speeds I don't have a much of an expectation for how slow it goes. The snowblower is now 4 hours away and I don't have the ability to check the RPM.. From my ear it sounds acceptable, but fully recognize that is not a scientific analysis. Let's say it was running faster than whatever is ideal, what would I then adjust?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, you could tilt the machine into the service position (drain fuel first), remove the bottom pan and try visually adusting, move the friction drive wheel as close to center on the drive plate as posible.
Checking the RPM would still be my first step, as if the engine is over reving, there could be issues.
I will have to do that this summer when I can get at it (and will be storing it). The machine is now 4 hours away from where I am. It doesn't sound like it's excessive. I did purchase it at a big box store - perhaps in retrospect I should have gone to a local specialty dealer that would have checked this all out before.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum.
There have been many posts on the forum over the years with complaints of 1st gear on some newer machines being faster than they liked, even after making adjustments as per the manual.

I too found the slowest adjustable speed to be faster than I liked on my 2018 Deluxe 28 SHO, which runs at 3600 RPM.
I wanted 1st gear to be a crawler speed like 1st gear on my 10000 series Ariens.
I experimented using a small C clamp to hold the shift lever in place to get the desire speed, then put another notch in the control panel.
Has worked great for 4 years now. I don't use that speed position that often, but it comes in handy when tackling 4 or 5' piles of compressed snow pulled from the roof or large EOD piles.

View attachment 207344
I think I have basically accomplished that by adjusting the arm/nut as much as possible without going in reverse. My daughter has a small driveway so I was not concerned about losing top end speed by doing so.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
idle adjustment on the carb is for idle not max
you need to put a tach on it most lct are set low 3400 ish
3600 is what blows snow the best
the gov spring should be in the middle hole
the outside hole gives you 180 more rpm
the inner most hole 180 less
no other adjustment
pick your poison lower rpm wont blow for chit will make machine slighty slower
if you adjusted speed selector right it is what it is
you could lose 1 reverse speed by fudging the adjutment thats it
Will check that out.. Couldn't believe how fast it moved.. After getting a first pass in deep snow I could see taking smaller swaths to not have to constantly stop and go (which is often required for that first pass regardless).
idle adjustment on the carb is for idle not max
you need to put a tach on it most lct are set low 3400 ish
3600 is what blows snow the best
the gov spring should be in the middle hole
the outside hole gives you 180 more rpm
the inner most hole 180 less
no other adjustment
pick your poison lower rpm wont blow for chit will make machine slighty slower
if you adjusted speed selector right it is what it is
you could lose 1 reverse speed by fudging the adjutment thats it
Will check that out.. Couldn't believe how fast it moved.. After getting a first pass in deep snow I could see taking smaller swaths to not have to constantly stop and go (which is often required for that first pass regardless).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts