Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Just survived the "Snowzilla" in the DC region.

Last year (2014), I bought an Ariens Compact 24" 2-stage snowblower w/ Ariens AX engine. I used it to clear ~ 20" off of my driveway on Saturday morning. Then on Saturday evening, I went out to do my 2nd round of clearing snow and the Ariens shut off during my 1st pass.

It wouldn't start with the electric start and it wouldn't start with the pull cord. I've replaced the spark plug and it still won't start. I drained the carb by unscrewing the drain plug underneath. And then tried starting again but it still won't start.

Any ideas? I don't have any carb cleaner and probably won't until more of the snow melts and I can get to my local OPE dealer.

Thanks!

Joo

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Is it getting spark? I'm wondering if maybe the ignition/key/emergency shut off wire is crossed or worked it's way loose or something.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had considered maybe the ignition coil but I suppose the ignition/key/emergency shut off wire might be an easier explanation.

I don't think its getting a spark. The way I tested was to pull the spark plug, plug it into the spark plug wire, and then try to start the snowblower with the electric start. When I did this, I did not observe any sparks from the spark plug.

Is there a different way to test the spark plug? Any other way I should confirm the spark plug is getting electricity if my method was wrong?

Thanks!

Joo

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh. I also wanted to mention that the gas I'm putting in is ~ 1 week old. I got it when I filled up our cars earlier in the week. I immediately put 2.5oz of sta-bil in the gas can after I got home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lets start with something that will cost you nothing but time. My deluxe 30 did this to me last year and one of the wires where the key goes in had popped off. I found it completely by accident. This year again with the no spark, I check the wires and the female spade connector had broken off. I spliced in a new one and it runs fine again.
When I no longer need the blower in the spring I will be putting better spade connectors on mine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I had considered maybe the ignition coil but I suppose the ignition/key/emergency shut off wire might be an easier explanation.

I don't think its getting a spark. The way I tested was to pull the spark plug, plug it into the spark plug wire, and then try to start the snowblower with the electric start. When I did this, I did not observe any sparks from the spark plug.

Is there a different way to test the spark plug? Any other way I should confirm the spark plug is getting electricity if my method was wrong?

Thanks!

Joo
Did you have the threads on the plug grounded on the engine head? They need to be grounded and the tip NOT grounded to see any spark. That machine should be under warranty in case the coil is bad and its not something simple like a grounded piece of wire on the kill switch, or the on/off toggle switch

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lets start with something that will cost you nothing but time. My deluxe 30 did this to me last year and one of the wires where the key goes in had popped off. I found it completely by accident. This year again with the no spark, I check the wires and the female spade connector had broken off. I spliced in a new one and it runs fine again.
When I no longer need the blower in the spring I will be putting better spade connectors on mine.
Thanks Devans! I'll check this in the morning.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have the threads on the plug grounded on the engine head? They need to be grounded and the tip NOT grounded to see any spark. That machine should be under warranty in case the coil is bad and its not something simple like a grounded piece of wire on the kill switch, or the on/off toggle switch
Ack! Thanks for pointing this out. I did NOT ground the threads to the engine head. I will see if I can do that in the morning.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Yea, I think someone last year had a faulty on/off switch on a brand new machine.

Also helps to check for spark in the dark. If you can close the garage door and turn the lights off it will be easier to see.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I think someone last year had a faulty on/off switch on a brand new machine.

Also helps to check for spark in the dark. If you can close the garage door and turn the lights off it will be easier to see.
Thanks! I'll try it with the lights off and door closed.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. I looked at a couple things:

1) I turned off the lights in the garage and tried to start it. I think the garage probably wasn't dark enough to see the spark still. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to harbor freight or an auto parts store later this week to get an inline spark plug tester.

2) I looked at the cables for the key and the run switch. The looked fine. I've attached photos. The first one is a photo of the cable going to the run switch. The second one is a photo of the key slot at the bottom. The cables looked ok and they looked fairly secure.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I am guessing you aren't getting spark. You don't need to be completely dark. Usually you just need to cast a shadow over the plug.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
frozen gas line????

1 - 20 of 28 Posts