Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter never worked from day 1. I'll push the start button and it'll just spin, or once in a while it'll actually engage. I pulled it apart, and everything appears to be working, not sticking, it just wont engage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Ariens Deluxe 30, bought from Home Depot 2 years ago has never been able to start with the electric starter. It won't engage. Thankfully, it'll start right away with the pull cord, but I have really cold days and may need the electric starter to engage. I pulled it apart and the parts and spring look fine and are lubed, spins out to engage by hand, and starting it out of the snowblower, it'll pop out as if to engage, but just for a short time. Re-install it, and just spins, occasionally will engage. I even cut two of the loops of the return spring off to try and allow it to fully rotate out and engage, but nothing. Any ideas, or just bad engineering from Ariens?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sounds like the gear is not spinning out far enough. I would try to clean it, and put on some light oil.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
have you tried contacting Ariens? i think the machine should have a 3 year warranty that i would assume should cover the electric start if it is defective.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
:welcome: to SBF f16bmathis

It's not bad engineering just because the one on your snowblower isn't working. It is a little hard to understand why you haven't contacted Home Depot or Ariens about the issue since you bought it new and it is or would have been a warranty issue.
The machine is an Ariens but the engine is an LCT. Maybe LCT has a diagnostic tree to follow on their site. https://lctusa.com/

I would think by cutting the spring you might be creating an unwanted problem or amplifying the one you already have.
Have you checked to see if maybe the starter needs to be shimmed out a little from the engine block for the starter drive to engage with the flywheel. I've seen some rare cases where the teeth of the starter can't get past the flywheel to engage the flywheels teeth and it just spins against the face of the flywheel.

Have you looked through any Youtube vids on starters ? Donyboy73 has some great ones on almost anything. Starters - - > https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=donyboy73+starter

·
Registered
124 Posts
@kissafrog, your statement about shimmering the started jogged my memory of a situation I had with a 79 Malibu. Same deal, fixed it with shims. The only issue with that one was it took a few tries to find the correct amount of shim.
This was also a problem on a Detroit Diesel. So, yes, a bit unusual, but not unique.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Maybe the starter solenoid isn't working properly. Check if you can find the wiring issue on the starter. Maybe you need to rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Maybe the starter solenoid isn't working properly. Check if you can find the wiring issue on the starter. Maybe you need to rebuild it.
If it was a riding mower ok, but since he says "push the button" I'm pretty sure it's a 120 volt starter and there is no solenoid involved.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Correct. Button switches, and spiral on the shaft extends the pinion, so since it is turning, very few potential problem areas remain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts