Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought new the Deluxe 24 in 2018,, Haven't used it too many times..Noticed in say 8" or higher wet or dry snow, it wants to climb and the engine starts to bog down a bit..Everything is set up correctly and lubed..Starts right up and runs smooth , set at highest speed , choke off..Now I read somewhere that if you use middle grade or high test gas it might run stronger, any truth to that ?, and that these engines take quite a long time to fully break in for full power.....Also, I'm going to add a 10lb flat bar in the front to help with the climbing...My old Mtd with a 8 HP Tecumseh engine never bogged down even in 20" dry snow..Also noticed that under the stats for all the Ariens engines the max speed is 3800 + or - 50 rpms,,,but the 254cc engine on the Deluxe 24 is at 3600 + or - 50rpms..Why it that, or is that a mistake??..My tach reads it at 3600 when fully warm..Should it run at 3800 rpms?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ariens adjusted the position of the wheel drive axle forward on your model, so it matches the Pro models, and intended to improve the AutoTurn performance. However, the re-positioning takes weight off the bucket/skid shoes. Some people have complained the lighter bucket increases the tendency for skid shoes to ride up on snow. Adding more weight to the bucket may help to resolve this and it is a popular practice.

The presence of ethanol in the fuel has less energy than the gasoline it replaces, so using fuel with no ethanol will improve performance a little but it is not a noticeable improvement. I use 91 Octane ethanol free gas since it does not need stabilizers and can last from season to season and still burn in my engine.

The Ariens AX engines are manufactured by LCT but Ariens spec the AX engines at 3,600 +/- 100 rpm max. LCT spec their engines at 3,850 +/- 50 rpm. The way the governor is set up with a fixed end attached to engine cooling cover and other end at the governor arm (4 holes on mine) does allow for a variation in max governed rpm. My engine when new ran at 3,450 rpm (laser tach verified) that did not perform well. I increased spring tension (moved spring to outer hole) to increase rpm to 3,700 rpm (laser tach) and the engine ran well. Now it is at 3,900 rpm (laser tach) and 3,880 to 3,920 rpm with my newly installed tach/hour meter gauge. So at less than a 10% rpm increase I think my engine will be OK.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The impeller on the Ariens scoop up a lot of snow and throw it far. Therefore, it needs more power. That 8hp Tecumseh did not bog down on your MTD, but will bog down on your Ariens.

I have a deluxe 24 with that 8hp Tecumseh engine. My impeller rpm is faster than your impeller rpm. It would bog down all the time as well.

It is not the end of the world. You just have to go slower, or take less bite. If you are not happy with it, then upgrade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ariens adjusted the position of the wheel drive axle forward on your model, so it matches the Pro models, and intended to improve the AutoTurn performance. However, the re-positioning takes weight off the bucket/skid shoes. Some people have complained the lighter bucket increases the tendency for skid shoes to ride up on snow. Adding more weight to the bucket may help to resolve this and it is a popular practice.

The presence of ethanol in the fuel has less energy than the gasoline it replaces, so using fuel with no ethanol will improve performance a little but it is not a noticeable improvement. I use 91 Octane ethanol free gas since it does not need stabilizers and can last from season to season and still burn in my engine.

The Ariens AX engines are manufactured by LCT but Ariens spec the AX engines at 3,600 +/- 100 rpm max. LCT spec their engines at 3,850 +/- 50 rpm. The way the governor is set up with a fixed end attached to engine cooling cover and other end at the governor arm (4 holes on mine) does allow for a variation in max governed rpm. My engine when new ran at 3,450 rpm (laser tach verified) that did not perform well. I increased spring tension (moved spring to outer hole) to increase rpm to 3,700 rpm (laser tach) and the engine ran well. Now it is at 3,900 rpm (laser tach) and 3,880 to 3,920 rpm with my newly installed tach/hour meter gauge. So at less than a 10% rpm increase I think my engine will be OK.
Thanks...Is there any site or pictorial I could view to see my model engine on those spring settings..??...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The impeller on the Ariens scoop up a lot of snow and throw it far. Therefore, it needs more power. That 8hp Tecumseh did not bog down on your MTD, but will bog down on your Ariens.

I have a deluxe 24 with that 8hp Tecumseh engine. My impeller rpm is faster than your impeller rpm. It would bog down all the time as well.

It is not the end of the world. You just have to go slower, or take less bite. If you are not happy with it, then upgrade.
So you put that Tecumseh 8 hp engine on you Deluxe 24 Ariens??...Any problems doing it??

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks...Is there any site or pictorial I could view to see my model engine on those spring settings..??...
My 414 cc engine has a governor assembly that allows some changes to the governed engine speed. The attached pic shows the governor arm (with the fuel tank removed) near the engine pulleys with a strong spring mounted in the second from outermost hole and the other end fixed to the engine cooling cover. This is stock form and should give 3,600 rpm, but mine was lower by 150 rpm.

Governor main spring in stock position.jpg

Moving the spring to the outermost hole increases the governed engine speed, and in my case to 3,700 rpm. Removal of the engine side covers would give access to the spring to relocate if the 254 cc engine uses the same governor access. To increase governed engine speed further the fixed end of spring needs to be moved farther from the governor arm to make the spring stronger. Move it just a little at a time to get to your desired rpm.

LCT has a brochure showing the engine dimensions which may show the governor. I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just bought my Deluxe 24 in December 2017, this last snowfall a few days ago was the first "worthy" snowfall we've had since (and that just barely) because it was very wet and heavy, the "heart attack" stuff. This year I'm doing an experiment and running Trufuel in it because alcohol-free gasoline is simply not available anywhere reasonably close. Even the high octane stuff has alcohol in it - I checked with a tester. So Trufuel it is for now since we don't get snowbombed like say, Buffalo. At most I'll use two gallons of it, more likely less than a gallon.

I'm very happy with the Deluxe 24. Yes it did tend to want to climb at the EOD, but so has every other snowblower I've ever used. It showed no signs of bogging down. The limiting factor was how fast I could go, otherwise the bucket was pushing snow, an indication that I was trying to go too fast with it. Slowing down one notch fixed that. But the engine never bogged down, just kept chugging along.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 414 cc engine has a governor assembly that allows some changes to the governed engine speed. The attached pic shows the governor arm (with the fuel tank removed) near the engine pulleys with a strong spring mounted in the second from outermost hole and the other end fixed to the engine cooling cover. This is stock form and should give 3,600 rpm, but mine was lower by 150 rpm.

View attachment 172004

Moving the spring to the outermost hole increases the governed engine speed, and in my case to 3,700 rpm. Removal of the engine side covers would give access to the spring to relocate if the 254 cc engine uses the same governor access. To increase governed engine speed further the fixed end of spring needs to be moved farther from the governor arm to make the spring stronger. Move it just a little at a time to get to your desired rpm.

LCT has a brochure showing the engine dimensions which may show the governor. I will see if I can find it.
Many thanks,,I will be trying this soon,, will let you know what happens..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bought my Deluxe 24 in December 2017, this last snowfall a few days ago was the first "worthy" snowfall we've had since (and that just barely) because it was very wet and heavy, the "heart attack" stuff. This year I'm doing an experiment and running Trufuel in it because alcohol-free gasoline is simply not available anywhere reasonably close. Even the high octane stuff has alcohol in it - I checked with a tester. So Trufuel it is for now since we don't get snowbombed like say, Buffalo. At most I'll use two gallons of it, more likely less than a gallon.

I'm very happy with the Deluxe 24. Yes it did tend to want to climb at the EOD, but so has every other snowblower I've ever used. It showed no signs of bogging down. The limiting factor was how fast I could go, otherwise the bucket was pushing snow, an indication that I was trying to go too fast with it. Slowing down one notch fixed that. But the engine never bogged down, just kept chugging along.
Mine will want to bogg down in 1st speed and not pushing it at all..in anything over 8 in..and I back off...Has the true fuel made a difference or not, or you haven't got to try it yet?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Here is the 254 cc LCT engine schematics: https://lctusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/254cc-LCT-Winter-Schematic.pdf but I cannot see any indication of the governor mechanism.

The 254cc AX engine seems to have been around for a long time and the governor mechanism appears consistent through the different models to the current 921045. It is not the same as my 414 engine. Here is a link to the parts on the 921045 that is the current version: PartsTree - Home of OEM Parts for Outdoor Power Equipment the governor parts are shown at the top of the diagram as part # 26. I have not found any info on how to adjust that governor linkage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Has the true fuel made a difference or not, or you haven't got to try it yet?
I have not noticed that the Trufuel made any difference over regular gasoline in performance, but I didn't really expect it to. The main reason I'm using that is because snow here is very irregular, we may go the rest of the winter and not see any snow at all. Or we may be up to our butts in it next week. One never knows....

The Trufuel is mostly just so it won't be sitting a long time with that stupid Congress/EPA-mandated alcohol contaminated crap in it eating away at the seals and stuff. And secondarily, I was curious to see if it would make any difference in the way it ran or started. The answer to that question is "no".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the 254 cc LCT engine schematics: https://lctusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/254cc-LCT-Winter-Schematic.pdf but I cannot see any indication of the governor mechanism.

The 254cc AX engine seems to have been around for a long time and the governor mechanism appears consistent through the different models to the current 921045. It is not the same as my 414 engine. Here is a link to the parts on the 921045 that is the current version: PartsTree - Home of OEM Parts for Outdoor Power Equipment the governor parts are shown at the top of the diagram as part # 26. I have not found any info on how to adjust that governor linkage.
Terrific,, Thanks for the links..they will help a lot when I'm in there looking..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Since your engine is running at 3,600 rpm shown on your tach the governor seems to be set correctly. When I used a neighbors Husqvarna with that engine it had lots of power. Do you usually drain the carb and gas tank at the end of season since old gas could partially block the jets in your carb. A partial blockage may allow a no load speed of 3,600 rpm but once under load the engine may bog quickly. Have you tried a slower gear to slow the snow intake and help avoid bogging?

If you can see your tach while blowing the snow, does the engine speed drop quickly or over a longer time?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Since your engine is running at 3,600 rpm shown on your tach the governor seems to be set correctly. When I used a neighbors Husqvarna with that engine it had lots of power. Do you usually drain the carb and gas tank at the end of season since old gas could partially block the jets in your carb. A partial blockage may allow a no load speed of 3,600 rpm but once under load the engine may bog quickly. Have you tried a slower gear to slow the snow intake and help avoid bogging?

If you can see your tach while blowing the snow, does the engine speed drop quickly or over a longer time?
Yes I always drain the gas out on everything snow throwers, lawn mowers, generators, the engine was brand new right out of the box.. Next time I will put the tachometer on while in use and check the reading ... I never push the snow thrower, it's always in the first gear speed when bogging down..I've been doing this for 35 years, never force my throwers...What I do notice the difference between the Tecumseh engine and the LCT,, the Tecumseh when entering deep or wet snow, the engine would actually pick up speed automatically...the governor would throw it into a higher speed, or maintained the correct speed, this one doesn't, just slows or boggs down..Maybe the governor isn't set correct like you said..

·
Registered
403 Posts
You got a good one...
Well, it is only 8hp like your. It was one of the most commonly used engines on snow blowers, so there is nothing special about it. Some people think Tecumseh engines are crappy engines.

I increased its engine rpm from 3500 to 3670. It ran fine in the summer, but now surging at 3670 rpm. The carb that I got might have not delivered enough fuel at high rpm. I just enlarged the main jet last night and about to go out and test it. My next fix would be buying a new adjustable carburetor for it.
After that, I might have more power and less bogging down.

A bigger engine someday I guess. I'm not ready it yet, as I don't want to pay for new belts and all of that craps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it is only 8hp like your. It was one of the most commonly used engines on snow blowers, so there is nothing special about it. Some people think Tecumseh engines are crappy engines.

I increased its engine rpm from 3500 to 3670. It ran fine in the summer, but now surging at 3670 rpm. The carb that I got might have not delivered enough fuel at high rpm. I just enlarged the main jet last night and about to go out and test it. My next fix would be buying a new adjustable carburetor for it.
After that, I might have more power and less bogging down.

A bigger engine someday I guess. I'm not ready it yet, as I don't want to pay for new belts and all of that craps.

I think its a terrific engine, never used a drop of oil in 20 years, on syn. of course from day one..Had plenty of power and torque..Started on one pull....The only thing I didn't care for were the fumes, the muffler was in a bad place.. would blow back into my face most of the time....added an extended plate over the top and sides to help send the fumes further outward..

·
Registered
403 Posts
So, the aftermarket carburetor that I was using fixed my previous carburetor problem, but it was slightly rich at rpm above 3500. After I enlarged its main jet last night, it ran even richer and fouled the spark plug.

I just put in the OEM original main jet, and it is running smooth as silk now (it sounds right and runs smooth at all RPM ranges). Nothing can beat the OEM carb, even though people said that they were set lean from the factory.

I can't wait for the next snow to see the improvement.

As for your engine bogging down, I don't know what to say. The deluxe models scoop up a lot of snow, so it requires more power. I guess using poly skid shoes, waxing the impeller housing and chute all help. Maybe, do the impeller mod to further improve it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, the aftermarket carburetor that I was using fixed my previous carburetor problem, but it was slightly rich at rpm above 3500. After I enlarged its main jet last night, it ran even richer and fouled the spark plug.

I just put in the OEM original main jet, and it is running smooth as silk now (it sounds right and runs smooth at all RPM ranges). Nothing can beat the OEM carb, even though people said that they were set lean from the factory.

I can't wait for the next snow to see the improvement.

As for your engine bogging down, I don't know what to say. The deluxe models scoop up a lot of snow, so it requires more power. I guess using poly skid shoes, waxing the impeller housing and chute all help. Maybe, do the impeller mod to further improve it.
Nice job on your carb....As for the tricks, I do the waxing , always had poly shoes , even on my old Mtd...Will try the middle grade gas, install the tach while running in snow..If that don't improve it,, will look into the governor setting..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts