Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dad is 75 (still in as good of shape as a lot of 55 yo's). Anyways, we all know none of us get any younger. This model seems to have good reviews overall. Was wondering if this size machine will be easy enough to handle once he gets older. It's hard to find info on that online. They also have a Deluxe 24, but the weight is almost identical. Any thoughts?

Lives in middle of PA, so a mix of snow. They don't get too much snow a year, sometimes a big snow, some years hardly anything. Driveway is compacted gravel/dirt.

Needed to clear around garage turn-around etc. Farmer plows the long driveway but it's been getting a bit much to shovel everywhere they can't get. Also to clean up here and there and a small walking path to his shop.

*UPDATE- Purchased the 24 Deluxe and he's very happy with it and looking forward to using it. No one had the Platinum so that was kind of left out of the decision. I think the 24 size will actually work out better than the 28 since he'll be able to use it for more years and fit into tighter spots to save shoveling as much as possible. I imagine since the driveway is rough the 24 will catch on stones a little less and be more comfortable to use down the road too. Thanks so much for all the replies. I didn't expect to get so many. I am quarantined with covid in our household so I couldn't shop with my Dad or even be there when he got it. At least he has it before the potential snow this weekend! This made a great 75 birthday present.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
What area does your father live in, how much annual snow fall? Wet heavy snow or usually dry powder? How big is the area he will be clearing, mainly flat?

The Deluxe 24 or 28 may be adequate depending on your answers, also whether a 24 or 28" machine better suits his needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Middle of PA, so a mix of snow. They don't get too much snow a year, sometimes hardly any.

Mostly to clear around garage turn-around etc. Farmer plows the long driveway but it's been getting a bit much to shovel everywhere they can't get.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I think the Deluxe machines will be more than up to the task.

I would go with the 24" machine, less weight and better for tight spaces. Although the Auto Turn really makes these machines easy to operate.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think the Deluxe machines will be more than up to the task.

I would go with the 24" machine, less weight and better for tight spaces. Although the Auto Turn really makes these machines easy to operate.
24 deluxe has auto turn

·
Registered
91 Posts
24 deluxe has auto turn
I’d go with the 24”. There just easier to maneuver, and control. Is he tall enough to reach over the dash and turn the chute crank. I have a buddy that bought one and hated it because he’s short, and it was tough for him to change the chute direction. He sold it and bought a platinum and he loves it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's maybe 5' 7".

Not sure if the platinum's are available anywhere now or not. The one deluxe 28 I found was the only one they had. They did have 5 Deluxe 24's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
An Ariens Compact 24 may be a good option. It also has auto turn (feature that sold me) and is about 40 to 50 lbs lighter than a 24" Deluxe. I'm 72 and found this to be a good compromise between the basic Classic models and the heavier Deluxe models. They had all three at my local Lowes so I got to do a little side by side comparison. I suggest you do the same with your father if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
24 deluxe has auto turn
Yes I know, I was pointing out that the Auto Turn made it very easy to operate whether they choose the 24 or 28" machine. I guess my wording was not clear.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yes I know, I was pointing out that the Auto Turn made it very easy to operate whether they choose the 24 or 28" machine. I guess my wording was not clear.
sorry i had to look myself
id never spend hard earned dollars for 12 lb feet motor
bigger engine always better helps resale

·
Registered
17 Posts
My mom is 74. Last year she got a Deluxe 24. My parents always got 24s because the space between the house and side garage is close together so getting from driveway to rear patio has to fit in that small space with a tight corner.

My mom loves the snowblower. Very easy for her to use. Her two favorite features are it's easy to turn and she had the dealer install handwarmer grips (they are optional on the Deluxe 24 but the dealer didn't have a Deluxe 24 in stock with handwarmers, so they installed some). My mom's biggest complaint is that she says the gas tank is fairly high and lifting a gas can that high is more difficult than the old snowblower the Ariens replaced.

Reactions: dagjohnsen56

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. Perhaps I am better off going with a 24. Tough decision! Someone suggested the classic line. Are all Ariens as good quality wise beteeen platinum, deluxe, classic etc? My dad takes really good care of everything and he never pushes his mower etc hard. Still, are the cheaper lines like classic not going to last? I would like to buy from a dealer as well so everything is set up correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far. Perhaps I am better off going with a 24. Tough decision! Someone suggested the classic line. Are all Ariens as good quality wise beteeen platinum, deluxe, classic etc? My dad takes really good care of everything and he never pushes his mower etc hard. Still, are the cheaper lines like classic not going to last? I would like to buy from a dealer as well so everything is set up correct.
I have not used a Classic series machine but just looked at the specs on the Ariens website (used the compare feature for the Deluxe 24, Classic 24, and Classic 24+). I see no reason the Classic line wouldn't last the same as the Deluxe series but personally I'd go with the Deluxe line for the features. While the housing height is 1" higher on the Deluxe (21" vs. 20", which is worse for people like my mom but only 1" difference) the impeller diameter is 14" vs. 12" and the auger diameter is 14" vs. 11". But the biggest feature difference for me is the Auto-Turn of the Deluxe vs. the Pin-Lock of the Classic. Again, I haven't used the Classic series but after using my mom's Deluxe 24 I was shocked how easy it is to maneuver around...easy to turn the machine and navigate it with one hand if I wanted. It also blew snow very well.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
The Classic is the entry level machine, smallest engine and no auto turn, I would probably not consider it in your situation.

I would go with the Deluxe 24 or Compact 24. The Deluxe has a bigger engine and is more heavy duty than the Compact. Both have Auto Turn, which is something very beneficial for your father because it makes the machines very easy to operate. My preference would be the Deluxe, as more power is always better IMHO.

If budget is not an issue, the Platinum 24 SHO is one of the most powerful 24" machines on the market, great machine.

The Deluxe and even the Compact will handle the snow conditions in your area.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
My mom's biggest complaint is that she says the gas tank is fairly high and lifting a gas can that high is more difficult than the old snowblower the Ariens replaced.
Get your Mom one of these battery powered transfer pumps, many to choose from.
I bought one last year and they work great, wish I would have bought one years ago.

Automotive lighting Bag Bicycle part Luggage and bags Tool

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 20 of 37 Posts