Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not near the manual at this time. I need to do the first 5 hour oil change. What oil should I use, and are there any filters I should replace?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
after the 5 hour break in period you can use synthetic oil in it. I myself run 10w30 oil. the brand name is of your choosing.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi,

I'm not near the manual at this time. I need to do the first 5 hour oil change. What oil should I use, and are there any filters I should replace?
I would put synthetic 5w-30 as it protects your engine better with temperature extremes.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
To make life a little easier on you, assuming your drain plug is above the right tire like mine is, you should pop off that tire. Easy to do, just take off the spring clip deal on the axle. Once you block up that side. I block mine so it leans to that side. Kinda a 3 legged stool if you will

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
To make life a little easier on you, assuming your drain plug is above the right tire like mine is, you should pop off that tire. Easy to do, just take off the spring clip deal on the axle. Once you block up that side. I block mine so it leans to that side. Kinda a 3 legged stool if you will
didn't you get that DRAIN ZIT thing I told you about?????????

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mobil-1 5W30 Full Synthetic. Next question for the group... is there any type of lube for the augers up front? if so what to use?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mobil-1 5W30 Full Synthetic. Next question for the group... is there any type of lube for the augers up front? if so what to use?
You must mean for the gear case and some units take 80w-90 and some take 0 grease. Better check your manual for the proper one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think B&S recommends synthetic 5W-30 for most of their engines ... especially snowblower engines that may have to be started in frigid temps.

I use Yeti Blood. It took me 10 years to find it. But I found it ... and that's what counts: ;)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Oil Analysis/Chevron_Delo_0W-30_large.jpg

If the unit is stored in heated space, any XW-30 oil will work ... 0W-30, 5W-30 10W-30 or even straight 30 (although I am not a fan of straight weights).

I would NOT go 5 hours before the first change. Look what my factory oil after just 1.5 hours of run time (B&S 250cc OHV)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/BrorJace/Oil Analysis/Snowblower_OilSample_zps40854167.jpg

I would recommend changing it at the 2 hour mark, again at the 5 hour mark then a 3rd time at the 10-12 hour mark. Then do it once per season or about every 40-50 hours if you are using it a lot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The gear case or front differential on an Ariens requires the Ariens brand gear lube. Anything else would void the warranty (Grrr.)

http://mowerpartsgroup.com/img/Ariens%20L3%20Lube.jpg

This stuff should be available anywhere Ariens machines and parts are sold.

I really hate OEM lubricants. They are usually mediocre performers at an astronomical price. If I were to take a chance and go aftermarket, it would be something like Schaeffer Oil, Amsoil Severe Gear or (better yet) Red Line Oil Shockproof gear oils.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My manual says to change the engine oil after the first month. The dealer mechanic also said to change the oil after the first month. I have had my machine running for well over 5 hours and the oil is clear and just like new. Where does the 5 hour change come from?

After the first month oil change the recommendation is to change the engine oil every 40 hours of operation or once per year whichever comes first.

The oil recommendation is automotive detergent oil 5W-30. I am going to use Mobil 1 0W-30 (purchased already) which is rated as a 5W-30 replacement. I use Mobil 1 0W-20 in my car since it is rated as a 5W-20 replacement. The advantage of synthetic oil for me is that it will flow more quickly to all engine lubricated parts much quicker than conventional oil will.

Regarding the gearcase lubricant, Ariens changed to a synthetic lubricant and warn against substitution. The lubricant is Ariens L3 synthetic severe duty gear lube (part # 00068800). I don't know when this spec was introduced so you should check your owner manual; your warranty may be voided with the wrong spec lubricant.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The gear case or front differential on an Ariens requires the Ariens brand hear lube. Anything else would void the warranty (Grrr.)

I fail to see for the warranty period that your gear case oil level would lower to the point of needing to add any unless you have a gasket leaking.
The oil Ariens submit to use is of very good quality and for saying otherwise you would need lab results of both lube companies to compare.

Where does the 5 hour change come from?

The oil recommendation is automotive detergent oil 5W-30. I am going to use Mobil 1 0W-30 (purchased already) which is rated as a 5W-30 replacement. The advantage of synthetic oil for me is that it will flow more quickly to all engine lubricated parts much quicker than conventional oil will.
I have an email from a LCT engine tech that mentions the 5 hr change for all LCT new engine break in. Town when you will remove your break in oil you will see it will be far from clean as it will contain many specks of metal.
I agree fully with you changing to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have an email from a LCT engine tech that mentions the 5 hr change for all LCT new engine break in. Town when you will remove your break in oil you will see it will be far from clean as it will contain many specks of metal.
Point taken, I was referring to the colour as an indication of excess fuel getting into the oil. But the production of metal particles will not stop after 5 hours, or even slow down that much, it is a lifelong reality. I think the Ariens and LCT official guide of changing the oil after a month of use is a better compromise to eliminate the highest rate of contaminant production. Just an opinion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do Ariens get special "break in" oil or is it just 5w30 put in at the dealer?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Normex, you are probably right about the oil level in the front diff/gearbox. It should not require added oil for years. My comment about OEM lubes was not to disparage Ariens L3 lube, it was OEM lubes in general. I'm sure L3 is at least decent, if not really good. But an 8oz bottle costs $15 (on Amazon). That's $60 per quart! I'd rather spend $15-20+ on a quart of specialty aftermarket oil I know is a winner (names I mentioned above). Shockproof in particular has loads of suspended molybdenum and could probably protect well enough to be considered a lifetime fill.

Town, engines shed a TON of metal when they are new and still breaking in. That's what my picture above proves. You'll see the amount of visible mental decreases as the machine becomes fully broken in.

Also, the metal quickly sinks to the bottom of the sump so you are not likely to see it on the dipstick. When you drain your oil (while it's hot!), have a lead light or flashlight handy so you can take a good look at the endless sparklies in the pan. You'll be dazzled. :)

I also use a top-oil such as Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO), Lucas UCL or TCW3 2-stroke when the engine is fresh to help the rings break-in gradually. This approach seems to produce a very tight engine that gives max compression and low oil consumption.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eddie1976: "Do Ariens get special 'break-in' oil or is it just 5w30 put in at the dealer?"

Special break-in oils used by manufacturers (or dealers) are very rare. Even doing a UOA won't prove anything as you won't be able to look at the additives and tell what was in the oil versus what was in the assembly lube used when the engine was put together.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments everyone - I confirmed with Ariens - it was 5W-30. I was surprised how grey the oil was after the 5 hours.

To answer some questions above - the 5 hours came from the manual...5 hours...a month's use - probably about the same thing.

As for lube - if you mean gearcase oil, I'm not sure - if you are referring to lube for the grease zerks on the augurs, I was told (and did), use marine grease. Seems to work fine.

I was lucky - my Ariens has two drain plugs, one above the wheel, one at the 'front' of the engine (back of the snowblower). I used the one at the back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts