Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Compact 24 model that will not start. All the usual suspects have been cleared. It appears I have a sheared Woodruf key and need to remove the flywheel. Any tips? I may have access to a gear puller tomorrow. It seems like one whole unit. ie one piece including the gear? The thing will not budge and fear hitting it too hard. I'm thinking the puller will grip behind the gear and I can pull it off. Wondering if this makes sense..

· Premium Member
8,206 Posts
I get mine off that are rust frozen in place with a slap-hammer puller .... that allows the shock effect ... penetrating fluid and heat sure helps as well.

If the puller holes are not there, you sometimes have to drill some holes for the puller near the center hub. Just use caution, as you can easily overpower the metal on the pulley itself, thus distorting it.

· Registered
4,772 Posts
i would recommend loosing the nut and tapping on the flywheel with a hammer before trying to hammer on the crank or trying a puller. sometimes it just takes a few good hits to pop it off. i will usually do this first before bringing out the air hammer. the air hammer pretty much always pops off the flywheel but i know many people don't have one

· Registered
4,311 Posts
Bang on tge face HARD, cut wide wooden wedges and bang in from behind then hit the face hard, puller in holes, puller from behind.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for the replies. After morning coffee I'll fire in some penetrating oil and let it sit all day. My son is at work but will be by tonight with a puller. He also owns an air hammer. He is really good at this stuff too. Fortunately, this thing is like new inside and no visible signs of rust at the shaft. Little surface rust on the wheel but that's it.
Also, it seems like I can't get a replacement key in town. No stock at the dealer. There are tons on Amazon though.

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Another approach is with a harmonic puller and an impact.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, no joy. All indications were a sheared pin. Have good spark (new plug - tested and working hanging outside engine), have gas. Timing seemed only thing left, and repair shop suggested sheared pin. We did get the flywheel off tonight using above suggestions and some penetrating oil. It went well and came off quickly. But disappointed in a way to find it was ok. Still no start, not even firing, not even once. Tomorrow will get some ether and try that in the carb; try to get some sign of life from it.
Thanks all for the suggestions for removal. A slight wedging from behind, two gentle whacks with a hammer and off it came. Now to get it started.....

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After 10-15 seconds of turning over gas starts spraying out the exhaust port. So guessed gas coming in and going out. Just no firing. Drained the carb, took it apart and bowl very clean. Got spark, timing good - I guess as flywheel key is not sheared. Same gas (from the same can) just worked in my 20+ year old crummy lawnmower stored outside all winter and starts every spring despite (mis)treated badly. Ether spray tomorrow. This blower bought new 5 years ago has never worked well and tough starting when it did decide to. Now it's not even wanting to even tease me with a single fire and give me some illusions of hope. Kind of a garage queen. Maybe if I start treating it like my lawnmower. :)

· Registered
4,772 Posts
before tearing anything else apart have you tried putting a bit of gas in the spark plug hole and getting it to fire? it is very common for people to have fuel relate issues after a machine has sat for the summer. no point pulling the valve cover if you have a carb issue.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re gas in the spark plug hole, when I changed the plug out, I used compressed air to dry out the cylinder completely. After several pulls, gas starts spraying out and drips down the exhaust port. This tells me valves, carb ok. It may still be a carb vaporization issue. Drained the carb and took it apart. Found it to be very clean inside. Definitely getting spark (tested) and after the flywheel removal/key check, the timing should be good. Try again with a dry cylinder and same result. Not one single fire. Ever. Gas works in the lawnmower but getting so desperate now I plan to get brand spanking new gas, drain the thing and try that. (I can always use the old gas in the lawnmower!). Worked on engines when I was young and had my health and never failed to get one going. This one may be my nemesis.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts