Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freebie! (For Me, Not You) Found this Listed on Facebook Marketplace for Free. Has Strong 10hp Tec. PO Broke Speed Selector Rod Trying to Adjust it, and Gave Up. Had to Drive an Hour to get it, but after Replacing the Control Rod, and Electric Starter Bendix, it Runs Great! Taller Profile Tires Transfer Weight up Front as Well....Too Bad There's No Snow to try it on

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Freebie! (For Me, Not You) Found this Listed on Facebook Marketplace for Free. Has Strong 10hp Tec. PO Broke Speed Selector Rod Trying to Adjust it, and Gave Up. Had to Drive an Hour to get it, but after Replacing the Control Rod, and Electric Starter Bendix, it Runs Great! Taller Profile Tires Transfer Weight up Front as Well....Too Bad There's No Snow to try it on
jack , i deleted my comment. ( per your private message )

was only joking

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Somebody help me out with my thinking :

I would think that putting on taller tires would shift more of the weight to the engine, and not the bucket. My thinking is that if you carried the logic to the extreme - put on 20" tall tires, just about all of the weight would sit on the tires.On the other hand, if you put on a 3" tire, then all of the weight would go onto the tires also. Without moving the axle, I can't imagine how tire size could move with weight transfer to the bucket.

Like i said, please help/explain !

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I would think that putting on taller tires would shift more of the weight to the engine, and not the bucket. My thinking is that if you carried the logic to the extreme - put on 20" tall tires, just about all of the weight would sit on the tires.On the other hand, if you put on a 3" tire, then all of the weight would go onto the tires also. Without moving the axle, I can't imagine how tire size could move with weight transfer to the bucket.

You are Welcome to Come Here and Try this One Out, and Then Try Another One I have with Factory Tires.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You are Welcome to Come Here and Try this One Out, and Then Try Another One I have with Factory Tires.

I guess it is not important enough to me to drive 400 miles and the associated time, and expense. Guess I will have to trust you on this one. Or maybe I'll get out a couple of scales, and first mount my car tires on the snowblower, and then mount some skateboard wheels. LOL

I have noticed that most snowblower manufacturers have changed to using thinner tires, and I can see the reason for that, but I haven't measured their heights. Maybe they are taller, and this moves weight to the bucket without having to move the axle.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Place a rear wheel drive car on flat surface with the front tires pointed straight. Put a jack under the rear axle and start jacking up the rear higher like it's progressively getting bigger tires........:grin:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Place a rear wheel drive car on flat surface with the front tires pointed straight. Put a jack under the rear axle and start jacking up the rear higher like it's progressively getting bigger tires........:grin:

Thanks - and I think that what you will witness is the front tires carrying less of the vehicle's weight. (except for the little weight shift of the oil and gasoline moving more towards the front of the engine and gas tank !)

·
Registered
817 Posts
RIT333: take it to the extreme and jack the car up to near vertical, almost all the weight is on the front tires. The weight is indeed shifting to the front wheels. Or another example, when lifting a wheel barrow, it gets easier to lift the higher you go. Again, the weight is shifting to the front wheel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
. . . Taller Profile Tires Transfer Weight up Front as Well....
I was interested in a quantitative result, so I did the experiment. Machine, Toro 524 with Predator 212, 13x5.00-6 X-Trac tires inflated to 12 psi. I measured weight with a digital bathroom scale with a 1" x 1.5" stick across the top, the skid shoes rested on the stick, the stick was directly below the auger shaft and the stick was centered on the scale. I blocked the wheels up a distance equal to the height of the scale and stick. I measured the weight several times, result 35 pounds. I added an additional 1.5 inches under the wheels and measured the weight several times, result 41-42 pounds.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was interested in a quantitative result, so I did the experiment. Machine, Toro 524 with Predator 212, 13x5.00-6 X-Trac tires inflated to 12 psi. I measured weight with a digital bathroom scale with a 1" x 1.5" stick across the top, the skid shoes rested on the stick, the stick was directly below the auger shaft and the stick was centered on the scale. I blocked the wheels up a distance equal to the height of the scale and stick. I measured the weight several times, result 35 pounds. I added an additional 1.5 inches under the wheels and measured the weight several times, result 41-42 pounds.

That's Great! I was going to derive a Formula, but I couldn't Stay Awake in Physics Class....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Thanks...now I am a believer, and once again, should not have doubted Jack's empirical evidence. I had a lousy physics teacher, or I may have been sleeping next to Jack.

So Jack...How about Tom Brady ! Just a "polite" dig - myself, I am a Pats Fan also.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks...now I am a believer, and once again, should not have doubted Jack's empirical evidence. I had a lousy physics teacher, or I may have been sleeping next to Jack.

So Jack...How about Tom Brady ! Just a "polite" dig - myself, I am a Pats Fan also.

TB12 Didn't have much Help this Year. "D" was Pretty Good. Will be Interesting to See what Changes are Upcoming.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
TB12 Didn't have much Help this Year. "D" was Pretty Good. Will be Interesting to See what Changes are Upcoming.

One thing they might want to do is give Edleman some dancing lessons during the off-season so he can be a little lighter on his toes for when he is dancing on top of vehicles ! :devil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts