Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.. I've got a 8yo 921030 Dlx 28 that goes through two friction disks a season. the machine needs simple cable adjustments after install of a new disk, but all usual stuff....then good as new until next time.
I get about 400" of snow so the machine is used often. admittedly, I am not easy on my equipment, but I take care of it well... has anyone out there had a problem like this?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome to the Snowblower Forum!
Here's a salient thread I found by putting in your numbers and 'friction disk'
You could also search 'slips' and 'sluggish'. There's decades of knowledge in these pages!

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF
torn up friction wheels at 2 a season, are you powershifting the speeds? that will tear them up fast .
let off the drive lever let it stop change speeds

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
As above, just repeating, don't shift gears while moving, release the lever, stop, shift in to the new gear, then engage and move.

Clean the friction drive plate with alcohol, sand to remove rubber, check adjustments.

Is the friction disk wearing evenly?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you are shifting correctly (with drive handle disengaged) I'd want to check the friction wheel hex shaft bearings in each end of the tractor housing. Also are you regularly greasing the pinion gear set? There is a grease zerk on the right outside of the tractor housing by the tire. If you haven't, the gear set may be turning the entire pinion shaft and causing excess drive friction and wear. The pinion shaft is just a locator for the gear set to spin ON not WITH.
You can try taking the drive belt loose from the drive swing plate pulley and try spinning the pulley by hand. It should freewheel pretty easy. Outside chance the bearing went bad in the hub, but I would expect you to see frequent drive belt wear also, not just friction rubber.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I get about 400" of snow so the machine is used often
400" of snow is amazing amount. Make sure everything associated with that assembly is "like new" or else you are going to go through pleanty.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
We lived in a 300" plus area for years full time, and I only recall one or two disk replacements in 3 blowers in 58 years . . . Snowfall isn't killing disks . . . it's either a defect somewhere tearing them up or misuse . . .

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
That’s a lot of disks. Have you check that the cable for the traction system is adjusted properly. If the plate isn’t holding tight against the disk it will wear it prematurely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't think I am shifting incorrectly... I spoke to a guy that does small engine repair and he's saying the same things you guys are. I am abut to tear into it using the threads Rooskie sent, so I will keep you posted.
I do have a question regarding misuse: does pushing or pulling the machine, while the cable is disengaged, hurt the drive components?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really don't think I am shifting incorrectly... I spoke to a guy that does small engine repair and he's saying the same things you guys are. I am abut to tear into it using the threads Rooskie sent, so I will keep you posted.
I do have a question regarding misuse: does pushing or pulling the machine, while the cable is disengaged, hurt the drive components?
Pushing the machine around with the drive disengaged won't cause any issues.

I have a question for you, since I'm currently dealing with a premature friction disk failure on my Ariens also: Is your disk coming apart in chunks, and if so do those chunks stink like gasoline?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts