Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in the gear box and it looks to have white (dirty) lube. When I look in a user manual it said to use 5 oz. of SAE-90 Ariens gear oil. Another manual said to use Ariens premium gear lubricant MP-90.
I also read here to use the follow; Ariens Snow Blower L3 Synthetic Gear Lube 00068800.
I don't know what the gears are made of? Brass? Etc. What would you use in a Ariens 1969-70 model #10995?
Also, how would I go about removing the old lube first?
Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
It will turn white when condensation/water/moisture gets in the oil. I would just tip it on end with the fill/drain plug facing down and drain it out the fill hole, then tip it back and refill it with the SAE-90 gear oil.
The gear on the auger axle is usually brass on an older machine.
The "MP" usually stood for "Multi-Purpose" on the lubricant classification. You can use synthetic gear oil or regular mineral base oil. Synthetic is better and cost a little more, but either will work.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
SAE 30. The Gears are Hardened Steel. Don't Overthink it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am going to bet that the average user never checks the auger gear case to begin with.

As Jack mentioned, its not what you use so much, as the fact that you check and keep it properly lubed is the important thing.

After all, its not an Indy 500 race car, doing a million laps at 200 mph.

GO Pats .......

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will turn white when condensation/water/moisture gets in the oil. I would just tip it on end with the fill/drain plug facing down and drain it out the fill hole, then tip it back and refill it with the SAE-90 gear oil.
The gear on the auger axle is usually brass on an older machine.
The "MP" usually stood for "Multi-Purpose" on the lubricant classification. You can use synthetic gear oil or regular mineral base oil. Synthetic is better and cost a little more, but either will work.
Thank you

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to bet that the average user never checks the auger gear case to begin with.

As Jack mentioned, its not what you use so much, as the fact that you check and keep it properly lubed is the important thing.

After all, its not an Indy 500 race car, doing a million laps at 200 mph.

GO Pats .......
Thanks again.......Go Lions......Please

·
Registered
336 Posts
SAE 30. The Gears are Hardened Steel. Don't Overthink it.
You're not talking motor oil, right? SAE30 is only good for +40°.

If the manual calls for 90 wt gear oil, why not use the mfgrs recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
What would you use in a Ariens 1969-70 model #10995?
Also, how would I go about removing the old lube first?
Thanks
Ariens says to use "MP-90 gear lubricant" for these machines:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page11.html#question9

You might be able to use other lubes successfully..but when it comes to something like this, I would always go with what the manufacturer says, not what "the internet" says. ;) because the internet can give you a dozen different answers, many of which will be wrong.

Its an oil, not a grease, it should drain out.
I would fire up the machine, run the augers for 10 minutes or so to really churn up and warm up the oil, then turn it off, then remove the drain plug and let it drain out. I often let my oil changes sit and drain overnight, to make sure its all really out.

Scot

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You're not talking motor oil, right? SAE30 is only good for +40°.

If the manual calls for 90 wt gear oil, why not use the mfgrs recommendation?

Why Not make a Mountain out of a Molehill?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ariens says to use "MP-90 gear lubricant" for these machines:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page11.html#question9

You might be able to use other lubes successfully..but when it comes to something like this, I would always go with what the manufacturer says, not what "the internet" says. ;) because the internet can give you a dozen different answers, many of which will be wrong.

Its an oil, not a grease, it should drain out.
I would fire up the machine, run the augers for 10 minutes or so to really churn up and warm up the oil, then turn it off, then remove the drain plug and let it drain out. I often let my oil changes sit and drain overnight, to make sure its all really out.

Scot
Thanks Scott for your detailed answer. I will order Ariens Premium 00006000 gear oil MP-90. $9.95 a Quart, well worth it! I'm sure I could use all the other types of oil, but I will stick with Ariens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts