Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Hydro Pro 32 track 12v model (926517) for 4 years now, love it, maintain it meticulously and a couple days ago the sprocket gear that is driven by a chain from the hydrostatic transmission simply shattered.

I was getting into deep snow where the tracks stopped propelling the unit as usually happens. I let off the clutch, increased the speed on the hydrostatic transmission a bit, re-engaged the clutch and saw the unit torque the tracks to move forward and heard a “cluck” noise and there was no longer any “drive”.

I open the unit up thinking the belt that drives the hydro tranny broke, but to my surprise this gear had shattered in 4 pieces.

It is part #4 on this list: Ariens 926514 (000101 - ) Hydro Pro 32 Track 12V Reduction Drive Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

Is this to be expected? Is the way I operate it to blame or was there likely a defect in the casting of the gear? Either way it’s not under warranty and is costing me 130$.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
welcome to the forum !! ...and where are the pics of this carnage !?

·
Registered
939 Posts

I was getting into deep snow where the tracks stopped propelling the unit as usually happens. I let off the clutch, increased the speed on the hydrostatic transmission a bit

Operator error

Should have reduced speed in deep snow

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's certainly not operator error - the unit should be designed so that the drivetrain can take all the power the motor can put out, so no matter what you'll either spin the tracks or stall the motor. Chances are you had a gear that was flawed in some way.

·
Registered
180 Posts
First thing I would do is look for loose/missing bolts, anything that is worn or missing. Make sure the anti-rotation tab #27 is still there with the pins to hold the shaft #29 and 31. Have you been greasing the fitting on the shaft? Check axle bearings for wear. Really look good for anything that may cause binding. 4 years isn't that long but if you run them hard its not uncommon to bust them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts