Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping that someone here can help. We have an Ariens 926500 that we had given to us. It ran fine for a couple years and then it would only run in the 2 highest gears, we didn't get much snow that year so it wasn't a huge deal to run it like that and then it wouldn't go into gear at all. We took a look at it and discovered that the arm that holds the gear shifter in place was loose, the part that holds the friction wheels in place was completely out of it's place. I managed to get that back in and pinned. I discovered that the 3 washers that belong on that part were missing. I replaced those. It ran ok a couple of times and then wouldn't move forward. We took it back apart and replaced the friction wheel. Put it back together. Now the wheels won't grab and move the machine. Up in the air they will spin if the handle is engaged but on the ground they don't propel the machine. I CAN turn the wheels with the handle engaged and I'm not sure that is supposed to happen? We were careful to make sure that the wheel keys were replaced when taking the wheels off and putting back on. Everything is cleaned and re greased correctly. The belts seem fine as well as the cables although the differential? Cable does seem a little slack. Springs and clamps and pins all seem to be where they need to go. What else am I missing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you check the friction disc? It can get loose over time due to some manufacturers not putting locktite on that bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check the friction disc? It can get loose over time due to some manufacturers not putting locktite on that bolt.
Yeah, the friction disc is brand new, just installed and tightened as much as we could get it without over tightening. I'll double check that they're still tight, we did run it after we replaced it and everything seems tight but maybe running it loosened things a bit.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
68 Posts
Yeah, the friction disc is brand new, just installed and tightened as much as we could get it without over tightening. I'll double check that they're still tight, we did run it after we replaced it and everything seems tight but maybe running it loosened things a bit.
I know our older models have adjustment instructions. Not sure if your model does, but sounds like it’s out of adjustment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If the plate/disc is coming up and touching the friction wheel when you engage handle watch the pinion shaft (smooth with double gear on rt side) for movement up and down. If it is ovaled out of the frame side it will disengage contact with the friction hex shaft gear sometimes and other times engage like you mention when the friction rubber wheel is placed at the far edge of the platter (higher gears). It will also engage with wheels off ground, but fail when weight is put on. The pinion shaft itself should not rotate with the gear, it's design is to provide a location for the gear to rotate on. The 926 series has a lot of after thought kits from Ariens to fix poor design issues, one being the anti-rotation frame kit for the pinion system
Ariens 52603500 .
I can't figure out how to link the service bulletin, but if you google the Ariens kit part number and
and instructions, the bulletin will come up in the search.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts