Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens Path Pro LCT208 idle issue

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Patrick0525 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a used unit and I need help on this one. Poor weak low rpm idle with a smoky exhaust. Add a little choke no smoke and strong idle.

The spark plug is shiny black on the electrode and not grey. Their is zero no oily residue at the muffler exhaust tip which is dry with black carbon.

Valves have been adjusted intake/exhaust .004/.005 Engine starts on 1st pull.

Oil changed.

There was debris in the fuel tank and in the process of installing a B&S shorty 75micron inline filter. Not much room on the LCT. Used an oil extractor to remove fuel and debris. Wiped out with a paper towel.

I drained the carb and have not yet removed the carb’s bowl. Will do after installing the inline filter. I really don’t want to remove the fuel tank or rebuild the carb.
Will do Seafoam and 5 minutes idles for the next week.

What is the cause of the low idle and need for choke? Any suggestions moving forward?

See less See more
#4 ·
You can try Seafoam running it for 5 minutes everyday for 2-3 weeks, if that fails then carb cleaning.

#6 ·
Well there's certainly no harm in trying the Seafoam, maybe you'll get lucky.

I have that same engine on my chipper. It runs great, did develop a cracked gas tank mount but I called and they sent a brand-new tank from the States free of charge ($100+ just for shipping). Made some slight modifications so it couldn't happen again.

I have taken good care of it, but I think the overall quality is quite good.

#7 ·
Nice, I also like to add that when I turn off the fuel shut off valve low idle still exists but when the engine approaches shutting off the engine speeds up and sound really good.

I just saw a YouTube video and they demonstrated the same issue on a Honda engine. He did an onboard main jet/emulsion tube and float needle seat cleaning with carb spray and compressed air. He said it was running too rich and it solved his problem.

#8 ·
Update: what a dumb a$$ mistake on my part.
I did adjust the valve backlash.
Surgically inserted a shorty 75 micron fuel filter between the fuel shut off valve and ignition switch.
Changed the oil to 10W-30 Shell T5 oil (will Change to 5W-30 in Dec)
Seafoam the ethanol free stabilized gas
Cleaned up the carb removed the emulsion/main jet, fuel needle valve, carb sprayed pilot jet and carb bowl.

Still it was running rough and smoky.
Then I realized what I thought was run was actually start(choke on). This could explain the plume of smoke and lack of power. My bad.

Well at least the valves are adjusted and the carb bowl is cleaned. Didn’t do spark plug since I don’t have 13/16” spark plug wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.