Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

As I look everything in my Platinum 30 SHO before snow is coming, I looked inside the transmission to lubricate the chain and saw they use a clutch disk made with plastic. Even the sliding part center of the clutch which slides on the shaft is made of plastic. Do all these clutch parts will survive many years to come ? I should have looked if old 926 parts could be used in these new models. Thanks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I like Plastic a Lot. Just Not on My Snowblower.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Yea I was disappointed when I seen it too but we will see how it lasts, Not my only blower so won’t be stuck if it fails

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yea I was disappointed when I seen it too but we will see how it lasts, Not my only blower so won’t be stuck if it fails
It is my only blower but I do have a spare disk. And belts. And spark plug. And maybe some other thingamajigs, I'd have to go look.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The wheel drive friction disc from Ariens is all steel except for the rubber tire. The assembly is all metal. I don't know what the material is that rides on the hex shaft.

The steel friction discs last me 2 years, installed the 3rd one in the spring for this coming season. I don't wait for them to wear out and do extra damage in the middle of winter.

Here is a pic of my friction disc assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your's is the old model made with metal like the one I had on my modified 926LE sold two days ago. Now this is made with plastic even the sliding part on the shaft is made with plastic. (picts to come tomorrow) There's a 2013 28 PRO for sale here. it looks new. For fun, I will perhaps go to see it tomorrow. If it had repositioned wheel shaft like my Platinum 30, I would perhaps change mine.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Realistically, the rubber disc probably wears out before the choice of carrier material would really matter. I'd expect they could build a perfectly adequate part out of either plastic or metal considering the lifespan and conditions it needs to work in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the pro models still have the old like metal parts instead of plastic. For me, this means something.
I'm still amazed to see peoples changing disk so often. My old 926LE 2006 had the same disk when I sold it last week and it was good for a lot of time. It was shiny all around it with just a little bump line in the center.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Yup . . .we have had Ariens blowers since about 1973, and between 1973 and 2018, only two of them, shared with a neighbor. In those 45 years, changed *one* disc (and tthe second machine is running fine . . . the neighbor kept it and moved to a different place, which is why I bought my Plat 24 this past winter . . . )

So, I am very confused as to how folks could wear out a disc that fast as well . . .

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I picked up a ST 824 with a blown engine in 2002 on the side of the road, and replaced it with a Harbor Freight Chondra that I had used for 5 years on a piece of cranberry equipment. As far as I know it still has the original disc it was built with in 1981. At least I never changed it and it still looks good.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yup . . .we have had Ariens blowers since about 1973, and between 1973 and 2018, only two of them, shared with a neighbor. In those 45 years, changed *one* disc (and tthe second machine is running fine . . . the neighbor kept it and moved to a different place, which is why I bought my Plat 24 this past winter . . . )

So, I am very confused as to how folks could wear out a disc that fast as well . . .
But the pro models still have the old like metal parts instead of plastic. For me, this means something.
I'm still amazed to see peoples changing disk so often. My old 926LE 2006 had the same disk when I sold it last week and it was good for a lot of time. It was shiny all around it with just a little bump line in the center.
My Ariens has a black plastic marker on left side of chassis that indicates proper positioning of friction wheel and drive plate. When the marker is fully forward the clutch adjustment is correct and when it reaches the back end of the slot with clutch applied the friction disc is worn out. So it gets replaced even though there is still some rubber left since I don't want any problems in the winter.

My machine gets used a lot and it is expected to perform perfectly all the time. I do 8 driveways that usually involves clearing the snow several times for each snowfall, and the EOD extends way beyond each homes driveway. Each neighbour gets about 30 ft clear of EOD, more for double driveways. My neighbours are elderly and some are infirm so they need clear sidewalks and EOD and driveways and access ramps.

The snow builds up in some places so I need to cut back the banks which is hard on the transmission, but necessary. If you don't use the machine hard then parts last longer.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
My Ariens has a black plastic marker on left side of chassis that indicates proper positioning of friction wheel and drive plate. When the marker is fully forward the clutch adjustment is correct and when it reaches the back end of the slot with clutch applied the friction disc is worn out. So it gets replaced even though there is still some rubber left since I don't want any problems in the winter.

My machine gets used a lot and it is expected to perform perfectly all the time. I do 8 driveways that usually involves clearing the snow several times for each snowfall, and the EOD extends way beyond each homes driveway. Each neighbour gets about 30 ft clear of EOD, more for double driveways. My neighbours are elderly and some are infirm so they need clear sidewalks and EOD and driveways and access ramps.

The snow builds up in some places so I need to cut back the banks which is hard on the transmission, but necessary. If you don't use the machine hard then parts last longer.
And the opposite if you abuse it. Ours are in 300 inch plus snow territory serving two families (often clearing for 4), and banks easily get to 4 feet and over. Still long life . . . I'd wager how it is used (brute force/abuse as opposed to a style involving more brain and less brawn) is a large factor as well. I don't pamper my equipment, but I'm not dumb enough to constantly ram it head first into a solid bank when there are better methods . . .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Break in the future, or not, that is a no no. The friction disc needs to be strong at all time. It is like the plastic wheels/rims that they had to recall. That thing would explode to your face if there was no cover. They would make them out of plastic to cut manufacturing cost and then make excuses this and that. My older Ariens snowblower seem to be better built. It still have some plastic bushings that have wore out completely. We all know that plastics are junks. Keep making things cheaper. One day MTD would replace them anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Interesting. What model do you have? I have a 921028 and it doesn't have this indicator.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Interesting. What model do you have? I have a 921028 and it doesn't have this indicator.
I have the 921040 model # which is 2015 Platinum SHO with 30" bucket. My parts and owner manuals do not cover the 921028 model. The Pro models do not have the indicator either. I don't know about other Ariens models.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here is a pict of the new friction wheel.
Thanks for the pic. I don't have a problem with plastic parts so that is a very interesting design, looks more efficient than my steel version. The geometry to keep the side drive located in its groove is fascinating. Perhaps you have a pic of the mechanism?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you were torn between buying a toro 824 826 or the ariens 24 deluxe would the plastic clutch sway your decision away from an ariens?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts