Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple year old Ariens Platinum with the AX414, I have had it to the dealer once for some minor fixes and a leaking gas cap. They fixed the minor stuff and put a new gas cap on it. It is still leaking, they said they would try another cap, I dont feel the cap is the issue. Has one found anything that works?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean the cap is leaking? Leaking under what conditions? Just normal operation, like from gas sloshing around in the tank? Or when tipping the machine forward for service?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaking all the time, doesnt matter if it is full or not still leaks and runs down the front of the tank. What I normally do is before I start doing my driveway I fill the tank full. It normally takes me at least a half an hour to do my driveway and sidewalks. I will then put the blower in the garage and shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas in the carb. I have also just shut off the engine without running the carb out of fuel, it does not make a difference. It still leaks gas all over the tank down the front of the engine...It looks like it is leaking from under the gas cap.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Do you still have the screen mounted in the tank neck, like the attached pic? I found it better to remove that so the cap sits down better on the tank lip. There is another screen on the fuel shut-off valve in the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have the screen mounted in the tank neck, like the attached pic? I found it better to remove that so the cap sits down better on the tank lip. There is another screen on the fuel shut-off valve in the tank.
No I took that out, I found about another 20 mins of run time when I took that out, sometimes it takes me over an hour to do everything and the AX414 is pretty thirsty!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Leaking all the time, doesnt matter if it is full or not still leaks and runs down the front of the tank. What I normally do is before I start doing my driveway I fill the tank full. It normally takes me at least a half an hour to do my driveway and sidewalks. I will then put the blower in the garage and shut the fuel off and let it run out of gas in the carb. I have also just shut off the engine without running the carb out of fuel, it does not make a difference. It still leaks gas all over the tank down the front of the engine...It looks like it is leaking from under the gas cap.
Do you have a picture? I guess I'm just struggling a bit to understand, and that's not meant as anything negative. I've just never dealt with a mystery gas leak, or a cap that had this problem.

I guess I've been spoiled by tanks and caps that do their jobs quietly, so I don't have to worry about them :) But I do recall hearing discussions of certain Ariens caps that are awkward to use, at least. I think on the AX engines.

It leaks even just sitting there? Or only when using it, so gas is sloshing around? If it's from the cap, I wouldn't expect the fuel shutoff, etc, to change anything.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Yeah, I'm really struggling to figure out how fuel can go *up* to escape the cap when parked and not sloshing ... makes no sense to me at this point . . . Short of filling it absolutely to the brim and then having the fuel warm up and expand, I'm out of ideas . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a picture? I guess I'm just struggling a bit to understand, and that's not meant as anything negative. I've just never dealt with a mystery gas leak, or a cap that had this problem.

I guess I've been spoiled by tanks and caps that do their jobs quietly, so I don't have to worry about them :) But I do recall hearing discussions of certain Ariens caps that are awkward to use, at least. I think on the AX engines.

It leaks even just sitting there? Or only when using it, so gas is sloshing around? If it's from the cap, I wouldn't expect the fuel shutoff, etc, to change anything.
Yeah, I'm really struggling to figure out how fuel can go *up* to escape the cap when parked and not sloshing ... makes no sense to me at this point . . . Short of filling it absolutely to the brim and then having the fuel warm up and expand, I'm out of ideas . . .
The fuel level is right about 1/4 tank....The dealer wants to replace the cap again, but that does nothing.... Anyone from Ariens on here I could talk to?:question:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have already done that and tried it to no help. This machine was bought in 2015. My dealer actually said to remove the strainer as it does nothing. The machine does it when it is sitting on a level garage floor with about a 1/4 tank of gas in it....Not alot of gas but enough that the garage stinks...

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Tank only 1/4 full (so mostly empty), just sitting there on level ground, and it *still* leaks out the cap??

I could maybe see if the tank was filled to within 1/4 inch from the bottom of the cap, something like that. The odd tank shape (cap not being at the highest point in the tank) might contribute to unexpected pressurizing, something like that.

But with the tank almost empty, I'm kind of at a loss for how the gas could climb out.

There's nothing that hangs down from the cap area into the tank? Something that could provide a path for the gas to soak its way upwards, to reach the cap?

What happens if you remove the cap, and put a plastic bag over the tank's opening instead? Maybe secure the bag with a rubber band if you want, and poke a hole in it. So it's acting like a vented cap. What happens then?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Tank only 1/4 full (so mostly empty), just sitting there on level ground, and it *still* leaks out the cap??

I could maybe see if the tank was filled to within 1/4 inch from the bottom of the cap, something like that. The odd tank shape (cap not being at the highest point in the tank) might contribute to unexpected pressurizing, something like that.

But with the tank almost empty, I'm kind of at a loss for how the gas could climb out.

There's nothing that hangs down from the cap area into the tank? Something that could provide a path for the gas to soak its way upwards, to reach the cap?

What happens if you remove the cap, and put a plastic bag over the tank's opening instead? Maybe secure the bag with a rubber band if you want, and poke a hole in it. So it's acting like a vented cap. What happens then?
There is a retaining piece for the cap. It is made up of round balls in a string (on my same year machine) one side attached to underside of cap and the other to a metal spring wire attached under the neck of the tank lip. The metal string would hang down into the gas some. But I cannot see how that would wick gas up to cap and out of the tank.

My cap leaked a bit in operation but not while sitting in the garage, and no smell of gas either. Replaced tank with a B&S 6 liter tank and no trouble with the B&S cap which is much simplified compared to LCT cap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a retaining piece for the cap. It is made up of round balls in a string (on my same year machine) one side attached to underside of cap and the other to a metal spring wire attached under the neck of the tank lip. The metal string would hang down into the gas some. But I cannot see how that would wick gas up to cap and out of the tank.

My cap leaked a bit in operation but not while sitting in the garage, and no smell of gas either. Replaced tank with a B&S 6 liter tank and no trouble with the B&S cap which is much simplified compared to LCT cap.
Mine has never had that on the cap before, I told my wife to push it outside until I get home as she was starting to smell gas in the house. We will see what it is like when I get home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember reading on here a couple years ago of someone having issues like this also, but as usual I cant find the thread. I want to say Ariens replaced the tank with a different style of tank, but again, I cant find the thread.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I remember reading on here a couple years ago of someone having issues like this also, but as usual I cant find the thread. I want to say Ariens replaced the tank with a different style of tank, but again, I cant find the thread.
Lots of posts on the gas cap in 2015 and 2016. I don't remember any change in the tank being addressed.

There is another issue with the tank that relates to a leaking shut-off valve. The valve is threaded into the tank using a rubber seal of sorts to seal it against the tank. The threaded part can break and the seal can leak. You may want to check that as more likely than the cap leaking while at rest.

The other issue is the rubber O ring gasket between carb body and the float bowl is very small and does not seal well if disturbed. I had to remove the carb to install when I inadvertently loosened the center retaining screw instead of the drain screw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of posts on the gas cap in 2015 and 2016. I don't remember any change in the tank being addressed.

There is another issue with the tank that relates to a leaking shut-off valve. The valve is threaded into the tank using a rubber seal of sorts to seal it against the tank. The threaded part can break and the seal can leak. You may want to check that as more likely than the cap leaking while at rest.

The other issue is the rubber O ring gasket between carb body and the float bowl is very small and does not seal well if disturbed. I had to remove the carb to install when I inadvertently loosened the center retaining screw instead of the drain screw.
I have looked at that, but its pretty clearly leaking from the cap area on the top of the tank. It defies gravity I guess!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I just bumped an old thread about issues with Ariens gas caps. Should be easy to find now.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I have looked at that, but its pretty clearly leaking from the cap area on the top of the tank. It defies gravity I guess!
Is there any way that sloshing gas during use can get up inside the cap, and then later leak down through the cap somehow, coming down onto the top of the tank?

Another way of considering this would be whether the leak only happens after use and then stops (with a limited amount of leakage), or does it continue leaking indefinitely?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 2017-2018 platinum 24 SHO, and am on my 3rd gas cap. 1st leaked during first week, dealer picked up and replaced cap. 2 weeks ago noticed gas leaking again from cap area, replaced with one ariens corporate shipped me when i emailed them during 1st week of ownership. with strainer in place it takes alot of effort to get cap to install well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts