Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was looking to upgrade from my 1973 Toro 421 to a new Ariens Platinum 30" SHO and wanted to know what some of you thought of it, especially if you have a newer model.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
I am here in CT and have two 30-inch Cubs , ... way too big for me, and I do a few driveways in the neighborhood.

Big jump from a 21-inch machine to a 30-inch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the short first post but I had to make one before I forgot to do it.

Here is sort of the full story: I started off shoveling driveways and sidewalks around the neighborhood and a neighbor said I could borrow his Ariens if I did his for free. That was three years ago. The next year we had the same deal but people told their friends and family so I did about 15 houses.
Last year I thought I would buy a nice little "Starter snowblower" that turned out to not be big enough or powerful enough to handle the 37 houses I had. On the second day of the last storm, it burned a belt so I had to call a different friend to borrow his snowblower. He has an MTD 254963 if I remember correctly. I was able to double the number of houses in a shorter time with it so I decided this would be the year to get something quality.
I have always liked Ariens and will not consider a different brand. We normally get about two 4-5" snowfalls a year. I am mainly interested in the platinum 30" SHO because of the amount of snow it can handle. It seems like the best chuck for your buck to me.😃

I am curious if anyone has had any problems or heard what they like about it.

Hopefully, this makes sense and if not I don't mind answering any questions this raises. Also bear with me on the grammar of this post I am trying it on my phone.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I was looking to upgrade from my 1973 Toro 421 to a new Ariens Platinum 30" SHO
I've not had any recent Ariens experience, but I went from a 1987 24" Honda to a 2017 32" Honda and have been incredibly satisfied with the upgrade... Don't be afraid to go big!

Reactions: Town and Toro_421

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I think you will be pleased with the quality, the auto turn and performance of the Platinum 30 SHO, should handle whatever old man winter throws your way. Visit a dealer and get hands on the machine, check out the controls, features and build quality.

Just measure any man doors or gates you will be using, to ensure it will fit though them.

You might want to also check out a Deluxe 28 SHO, as they are a great bang for your buck machine IMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the short first post but I had to make one before I forgot to do it.

Here is sort of the full story: I started off shoveling driveways and sidewalks around the neighborhood and a neighbor said I could borrow his Ariens if I did his for free. That was three years ago. The next year we had the same deal but people told their friends and family so I did about 15 houses.
Last year I thought I would buy a nice little "Starter snowblower" that turned out to not be big enough or powerful enough to handle the 37 houses I had. On the second day of the last storm, it burned a belt so I had to call a different friend to borrow his snowblower. He has an MTD 254963 if I remember correctly. I was able to double the number of houses in a shorter time with it so I decided this would be the year to get something quality.
I have always liked Ariens and will not consider a different brand. We normally get about two 4-5" snowfalls a year. I am mainly interested in the platinum 30" SHO because of the amount of snow it can handle. It seems like the best chuck for your buck to me.😃

I am curious if anyone has had any problems or heard what they like about it.

Hopefully, this makes sense and if not I don't mind answering any questions this raises. Also bear with me on the grammar of this post I am trying it on my phone.
All the reviews on the Platinum 30 that I've seen are excellent. It is an Ariens afterall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts