Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of a rest mod of my 1974 924series 8\32. After the teardown,Im very pleased with the condition of this unit. No major surprises yet. With the help of the forum members Im pretty confident about this rebuild. Here is a list of some of my plans. Please anyone feel free to chime in on any tips,tricks,advice, good vendors, etc. I know off hand i will need a reputable vendor for a piston and ring kit. The engine is also leaking oil from somewhere. So a gasket kit as well. The only vendor I've found so far is on eBay and he seems pricey at 100 for piston and rings.

Long chute mod
Possible plastic inside chute depending on advice
From worm to star drive chute
Relocation of chute control RH side
Adding a stator for amp output
Carlisle Xtrac
Impeller kit
Bearings
Auger gear inspection
Full cosmetic overhaul as well

Thanks and stay tuned guys. Ill need the help and expertise.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
571 Posts
I just got my 1973 922008 back together, it was covered in oil when I got it. The leak was from the breather gasket. I replaced it and it doesn't leak now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It'll be the best thing you ever did, and the machine will run forever afterwards.

what kissfrog said, the piston/ring price is high at $100. you can get it for about $70 shipped. looks like $35 plus $25 shipping. I'd ask the guy to reduce the shipping. those are small, light parts, can ship USPS for about $10

hm80 tecumseh piston ring | eBay

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
That seller has the shipping to me at $9.00, That would be a 44.00 piston kit.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Lee

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
you probably wont even need the piston, usually you can get away with new rings and a light hone to bring the crosshatching back

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't get much done yesterday. I spent my free time under the hood of a Chrysler.
Today I was a little better with time management. I the star chute star drive kit I got from Jackmels. I also relocated the chute control handle to a more user friendly spot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was alot of.measuring and aligning. I didn't want to drill any unnecessary holes. Also does my chain have to much slack. Is it suppose to be tight or loose fitting. It appears it might have been rubbing the belly pan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. Ive got the tractor,bars,and chute just about complete. The chute star drive conversion was a little more detailed work than I anticipate, but all is going well. Now for bucket work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
That's gonna be Nice when done....LMK if you need a chain.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't like the 9 1/2 turns for a full chute rotation. The star drive is about 4 turns. I like to put all my snow in a certain side and area of the drive. I also relocated the crank handle to a more user friendly location. I should now be able to keep the blower moving and quickly adjust where the chute is pointed on the fly.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kiss I haven't gotten much done lately. I ran into a series of time consuming events. . My truck crapped the bed. It's lawn mower season (sales and service . The wife wants to revamp the garden setup. I've been able to do some dismantle of the bucket and auger. Everything came apart fairly easy. Haven't even ordered any bearings or belts yet. Play time and budget has been limited. Between the vehicle, garden fencing, kids outdoor toys, etc. I was hoping I would be further along but sometimes life has other plans.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts