Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked this up Look at the size of the shoes...thats thick! ariens 926038 PRO 28

Guy Never put oil in it. ran it 2 times he said. Broken rod...
It has the 342cc briggs...I got to out and snap a pic of that eng..i missed that..lol

I have a 10hp tecumseh flat head.368cc..on the floor...and assorted Honda gx's...

this isnt a reg 28"....and has a Bigger than normal auger gearbox.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Wheel
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tree Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Circuit component Gas
Wheel Car Hood Automotive lighting Grille
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs
Shoe Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well...i went back out there.
the curiosity

the briggs is a 1" crank, but short. that has the hole in the block.

even height with a tecumseh. I do like the idea of the tecumseh...but......I need to redrill to mount....not a big deal... other than that, it should fall right in.

positives..elec start....might even have elec...for the light, but thats Not important really as You can buy those high powered battery lights now cheap.
the tec is light. 358cc...prob close to original power...or 1hp shy..

Ive had that eng for a while....I never even tested it..lol....358cc is prob 10hp.

flip side is the Honda gx390.....11.7hp....or 420cc which is prob 12-13hp.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Font Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Point-and-shoot camera Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera
Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Electrical wiring Bumper
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
then...I slid a gx340 on it....falls right on, but it needs to go back 1/2 inch or so....again, no biggie....
I like the look of the BIG engine..i have a real low hours gx390...and a like new 420cc chinese engine from a simpson pressure washer...thinking......

positives..monster power..ultra reliable..

neg will have to fab up a belt cover...not really a snow eng, but Im not in extreme cold...could always make a heat shield to warm carb...and a little more weight..not a issue I think...I doubt these engines will bog down in 3rd gear....

Im not sure how the pulley is measured....looks like 2.75 on outside of pulley, but 1.75 in the groove.

..it does have a dual belt set up....thats nice...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Calipers Gauge Motor vehicle Tool Measuring instrument
Calipers Gas Nickel Measuring instrument Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Machine Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
then...I slid a gx340 on it....falls right on, but it needs to go back 1/2 inch or so....again, no biggie....
I like the look of the BIG engine..i have a real low hours gx390...and a like new 420cc chinese engine from a simpson pressure washer...thinking......

positives..monster power..ultra reliable..

neg will have to fab up a belt cover...not really a snow eng, but Im not in extreme cold...could always make a heat shield to warm carb...and a little more weight..not a issue I think...I doubt these engines will bog down in 3rd gear....

Im not sure how the pulley is measured....looks like 2.75 on outside of pulley, but 1.75 in the groove.

..it does have a dual belt set up....thats nice... View attachment 195983 View attachment 195984 View attachment 195985 View attachment 195986 View attachment 195987 View attachment 195988
The engine pulley that drives the impeller pulley is 2.75” measured to outside diameter. The impeller pulley is 8.5” in diameter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well..I mounted up the Honda gx390. as Close as I could see.

SEE belts..pulley alignment. Any comments welcome. Its getting a distinct wear mark on the center of the backside.
I ran it for 10 mins ish.......no load of course...no snow right now.

I put a dayco L440 belt on it...40 inch..its a little sloppy..moved in the pulley to tighten it up...have a 39 on the way.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Differential
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I took the diff out today. very easy on this Model. Take off wheels, slide right axel out with bearing. Unbolt left side bearing retainer and slide left axel to the left until you can remove the diff. Easy.

unbolted that Hilliard diff....comes apart on both sides. Dry as a Bone, some old white grease in it...there are some flat spots in the inner splined bearing..like those 6 bearings were not spining....oh well...it got a healthy shot of red and tacky. screwed it back together and reassembled the axel. strange design If you ask me on that diff.

The 28 Pro is well made...and other than the chute assembly set up, its all straight forward.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts