Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Last year my wife and I moved into our first home and we were need of a snow blower. My wife's mother insisted for us to use their's as they always go to FL for the winter. I was surprised they had a snow blower in the first place as they had a small driveway. I go and pick it up and was like "man this thing is going to struggle". It's a Toro CCR 3650 6.5HP single stage snowblower. So After a season of using a single stage snowblower :blush:, I definitely need to buy bigger one to handle the size of the drive way we have.

So attached is an overhead view of my driveway with dimensions. If my math is correct it is roughly 3,000 square feet. The drive pretty much flat with just a slight slope going up to the house (I have a picture of this if need be). I just wanted to get opinions on if you think it is worth the $400 extra for the Pro 28 or should I go with the Platinum 30?

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The pro has slightly more power, but other then that, don’t really see much of a advantage. I would save the $400 and get the platinum. Plus the platinum is a bit wider, thus getting driveway done sooner.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Pro is a few inches taller (bucket), so if you get a lot of snow this might be a better option. The impeller spins a little faster throwing the snow further plus it has a bigger engine.

The Plat is a fine machine, the pro is finer. Can't lose with either machine.
Good point! Thanks, Arien Hydro Pro!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The pro model has a better gearcase, bigger bearings, better drive, ect ect. Its better all around.
Thanks, 351beno! Also, it looks like the Pro has almost twice the fuel capacity! I feel like I am leaning more and more toward the Pro with all those better features seems worth the $400 extra.

.8 gallon fuel tank for 414 CC engine?:confused:

·
Registered
842 Posts
.8 gallon fuel tank for 414 CC engine?:confused:
if like many of todays machines that .8 gallon tank should make it run APX. 1.5 hours + or - before needing to refill.
todays motors run way cleaner for the EPA and CARB regs then of older times which in the end run means better per hour consupsion

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if like many of todays machines that .8 gallon tank should make it run APX. 1.5 hours + or - before needing to refill.
todays motors run way cleaner for the EPA and CARB regs then of older times which in the end run means better per hour consupsion
Yesterday I read that one poster was getting about 45 minutes and needing to refuel their Platinum 30. Maybe their machine needed to be tuned up? Its not the end of the world or a HUGE deal breaker but I hate having to refuel in the middle of doing work, especially if its in a storm. The little Toro CCR 3650 that I used last season lasted about an 1.5 hours before running out.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Tanks have gotten a bit smaller and of course with a bigger engine you will use fuel faster if you are really working the machine. 45 min to an hour sounds about right for fuel time on moderate to heavy use of the machine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tanks have gotten a bit smaller and of course with a bigger engine you will use fuel faster if you are really working the machine. 45 min to an hour sounds about right for fuel time on moderate to heavy use of the machine.
Hey GoBlowSnow!

Thank you for your response! Yeah I hope to get about 1.5 hours before refueling. Like I said earlier. I would hate to have to refuel or worry about refueling in the middle of snowblowing.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I'd also like the fuel to last a long time, but if using a bigger machine meant getting done faster I'd be willing to refuel to get 'er done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you to all for posting! I am able to get a Ariens Pro 28 brand new and all set up for $1999 at a local power equipment shop (dealer) that is right down the street from me. For anyone in MA it is Norfolk Power Equipment.

I do have to wait a couple of weeks for to come in as they did not have any on the floor. With the weather currently about 75 degrees though I don't see any snow coming down any time soon!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You made a good choice these are both excellent machines but the Pro 28 will get you a lot more for the extra money. Upgrades include: heavier gauge auger housing side panels that are also braced, 23.5" tall bucket, 16" auger instead of 14" a larger 420cc Briggs engine with a real gas tank and fuel cap (yes I said fuel cap the LCT Gen 3 engines have the worst fuel cap design I have ever seen and used). It also has much heavier handle bars than the Platinum, along with more robust skid shoes and a boron steel shave plate. I seriously considered this machine but it was overkill for the amount of annual snowfall we get here. Good luck with the new beast when you get it and post some pics we're a visual bunch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You made a good choice these are both excellent machines but the Pro 28 will get you a lot more for the extra money. Upgrades include: heavier gauge auger housing side panels that are also braced, 23.5" tall bucket, 16" auger instead of 14" a larger 420cc Briggs engine with a real gas tank and fuel cap (yes I said fuel cap the LCT Gen 3 engines have the worst fuel cap design I have ever seen and used). It also has much heavier handle bars than the Platinum, along with more robust skid shoes and a boron steel shave plate. I seriously considered this machine but it was overkill for the amount of annual snowfall we get here. Good luck with the new beast when you get it and post some pics we're a visual bunch.
Hey Cardo111!

Thank you for the response! Yeah the extra/better features seemed worth it to me especially if I am getting at $1999. It still may be a little overkill but I at least I know I have something that is quality.

I will post picks as soon as I get it:grin:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts