Snowblower Forum banner

Ariens repower - help rewiring safety switches to Predator 212?

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CentralNYCountry 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been searching the forums and all over Google and haven't found anything, so hopefully this isn't spam in case someone else on the forums has documented how to do all this. I'd like to keep this main post updated as I go. I hope that once I get it all squared away that it can be helpful to anyone looking to do the same.

I got an Ariens 32" Sno-Thro with a shot engine from a coworker. Model number is 924029 and had an 8 HP Tec with electric start. I swapped on a Predator 212, and it will work as it is, but I want to re-implement the safety features and hook up the interlock and ignition switches. The on/off switch on the 212 is wired externally so it looks like I could just replace the black/red wires from the original ignition switch to complete the circuit, but that still leaves out the safety features. I'm not sure how to integrate the wiring on the 212 to adhere to the wiring diagram in the 924000 series manual and avoid making a potentially unsafe situation where I can't turn the engine off.

When it comes to rotating machinery, loud noise, and risks of slips and falls, I feel like I should be taking every safety precaution I can, especially since it can be hard to hear or see people or pets that get too close and to be able to react properly. I'd like to be able to just let go of the handles, or turn the key off and kill the engine without having to lean down to reach any switches.

Have any of you done what I'm going for? I'm going to link some photos I took, along with a clip of the wiring diagram from the manual. I've circled the connectors in the picture with color-coding to correspond to the wiring diagram's connectors that I've also circled. I'd like to know what you guys think.

I had to do some rearranging of the image from the manual to circle the ring terminals, but I can see that red, yellow, and blue should all be wired together, right? I'll ground the wire highlighted by green to the engine mounting bolt just like it was originally. After that, I'm at a loss of how to redo the wiring on the spark plug side of things, and also what to do with the ground wire highlighted in the orange square. From what I can tell looking underneath the snowblower, that wire is just welded to the frame.

Thanks in advance for taking a look, I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.