Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sno-Thro Model 10ML55. It has been stored outside under cover for a number of years. I am looking for information on the year and current value. It is located in New Hampshire.
IMG_4139.JPG

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
A value is what someone is willing to pay ...

On an older 10000 series that has been stored outside for a number of years is going to need a lot of work, not knowing the condition of the engine, gearcase, bushings, drive system, etc, etc..... plus some new XTrac tires to replace those turf tires.

All of my Ariens, 2 - 10000 series, and 2 - 924"s, were all obtained for free here in CT. I restored and repaired them, all working great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Sno-Thro Model 10ML55. It has been stored outside under cover for a number of years. I am looking for information on the year and current value. It is located in New Hampshire.
View attachment 167993
Thanks for your input
If I didn't know better would thing someone snuck into barn and stole one on mine! Can't say what it is worth to someone but if the motor is good and the auger drive is in good condition it would probably outwork many of the ones at the big box stores.

Only problem is I would say you need to find someone who can work on things themselves as some parts might not be easy to find and a shop can't afford to spend the time needed to research where to find them. Now if someone needs parts for it I probably have 90% of them on the shelf, other than a good used engine.

As for the tires, I personally have no problem with them, but I have a nice smooth paved driveway so that might make a big difference.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Around me people list them for 150 and settle on 40 bucks after it sits for a couple months. They really aren't worth much of anything in non running condition here in Long Island. I've gotten a couple for free that I got running and working, repainted them and sold them for 250ish. Definitely not worth the money considering the amount of hours that goes into them, but I enjoy doing the work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree, at least for someone who has to pay a fair labor rate at a shop.
I don't have clue as to what a shop charges but imagine it might be around $75.00, or more,depending on the area. So if a repair takes three or four hours to do you're getting to the point where you would be better off thinking about replacing as opposed to repairing. I don't begrudge a shop from charging a rate that would allow them to pay a living wadge to the guy doing the work as well as enough to show a profit for the shop itself.

For me and I'm guessing for you the fixing of a machine can be more a case a therapy than way to make money. I'm guessing if you pay $40 for a used machine and then get it working again and manage to sell to someone for $250 your labor rate would be lucky if it meets the minimum wage for your area!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Correct ... I do these restorations because I have the time, knowledge and tools to do it ... I enjoy it, and do not do it for making money or resale. I am fortunate, that all my machines were free, and can usually be found here in CT no problem.

When and if I do sell any to make room for more projects, the money for parts will be recouped, but labor, at any kind of rate, is not something that will be figured in for sure. Its more about the enjoyment and satisfaction about bringing another older machine back into operation, instead of being thrown out and rusting away as trash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts