Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 5.5 hp engine with two settings that I would like to know for adjustment. The full throttle RPM setting and the idle RPM. I measure the idle now at 2200 RPM and the full throttle at 3160 RPM. Does anyone know what the RPM running specs should be?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
In all my years working with small engines, I have never once measured the actual numerical RPM's of any small engine with any tool. I have always trusted my ears and just go by the sound.

I still see others running a machine below the full throttle, or screaming way beyond what it should be ... and then people wonder why their engines fail. Of course , those are also the people that probably don't check their machines oil level also.

JMHO

·
Retired Moderator
10,418 Posts
Without looking up the specs you'd be safe setting the idle at 1800 and full throttle at 3600. Unless you've worked on a number of engines I'd recommend a twelve dollar hourmeter/tach. Cheap and accurate and you don't have to leave it on the snowblower. You can temporarily attach it to the spark plug wire to get a reading and set the blower and take it off to use on a mower, edger, ... and keep in the tool box.

Ebay, Amazon, ...
One example: https://www.amazon.com/Timorn-Repla...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts