Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a snowblower for 12 years. I bought it 2nd hand. It was kind of small, but it did the job. My problem w/it was that it didn't have a reverse (20" model) and my hip has gone bad (got a brand spankin' new one this August...)
For Christmas last year my wife bought me an Ariens 920025. I was SO excited!
Put in the gas (hi-test w/ stabilizer), and fired it up.
It wasn't doing a great job, but it's an Ariens! I locked up both wheels b/c it was getting caught up in some drifts (I'm in Canada). Still, that little 20" MTD grabbed and flung the snow better w/ an engine half the size.
My neighbor came over (this is the FIRST time I used it) and told me that only one side of the auger was turning.
???
Looked at it, and saw that there was no shear bolt. Luckily Ariens sent spares.
BUT
No shear bolt was installed at the factory.
I threw in one of the spares, and voila, we're blowin' snow....
NOTE: I sent Ariens and email about this and got NO response. Oh boy; not good.
THIS YEAR...
(Please note I stored it the same way I had stored the previous one: just parked it)
Now it's not starting. At all. Crank- nada; electric start, nope.
When I went to check the spark plug, and saw oil dripping out the exhaust port.
OH MAN...
Does anyone here? ANYONE have any idea? I think I got a lemon, and it's 53 weeks old. I'm shafted, aren't I?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So.... Did this machine sit for months unused, maybe from April 2022 to November 2022? Did you leave gasoline in it? It sounds like you have gummed up gasoline in your carburetor.
Thank you SO much for responding so quickly.
Yeah, I did. I never had any problems w/ the other machine (much smaller engine- 5 hp v 9) and I thought it would be no problem. Used hi-test gas w/ fuel stablilzer.
Am I wrong to have expected and Ariens product to perform as well as the Chinese one?
Anyway...so I should clean the carb out? I'm not afraid to tackle the job; I think there's enought YouTube vids etc to guide me thru.
Looking @ your time here, you got any tips?
Again, thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
180 Posts
It depends. Ours has a 3 yr warranty. If you have that, take it back, they should fix it.

If you are mechanically inclined, and don't mind doing some work, look at it as an opportunity to make it better. I put a HF 459cc max performance on our 2007. The YouTube video by Red Beards Garage is the reason I bought it. He took a brand new 459 & completely tore it apart. It seems VERY HD. It is a friggin BEAST now. I just used it to blow 8-10" of wet, heavy Buffalo lake effect snow and it worked WAY BETTER than the stock one did when it was brand new ! I used to have to go about a foot in the deep heavy stuff, then wait for it to clear itself, then go forward again. Not anymore. This thing just eats it up & it will now blow it across the street with ease, from halfway down my driveway ! It was a total success and I am loving it again. So glad I didn't get rid of it.

But last year I also bought a brand new 28" Pro. It is now our backup snowblower. When we get hammered with snow it is totally reassuring that we have a brand new back up. It does not have the power or distance that the old repowered one has now, not even close. But it is brand new and is a excellent, reliable back up.

Hope you get this sorted out, it's go time for snowblowers now. I did the swap over the summer at my leisure. So much less stressful when you don't have to fix it immediately & you are not freezing trying to do it. Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Most of the OHV engines on snowblowers use a Honda-style carburetor with a 10mm bolt holding the carb bowl. Yes, there must be hundreds of carb clean videos on youtube.

I don't know if yours has a fuel shutoff valve or not, but if it does, close the fuel valve before attempting to disassemble the carburetor. If not, have a suitable container to catch the dripping fuel when you undo that 10mm bolt.

Do this in a well-ventilated area or outside.

If you happen to have a can of carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner, that would be ideal. A small metal wire (from a twist-tie or a metal brush) would also be useful to have to clean the main jet and/or the emulsion tube.

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
462 Posts
Does the carb have a drain in it and do you have a fuel shutoff? Turn off the fuel and drain the carb if possible.

You can try spraying some carb cleaner into the carb throttle plate when it's open using the choke. I did this trick to get my Toro started a few weeks back. I used stabilizer as well but left the fuel in.
Check out these videos.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends. Ours has a 3 yr warranty. If you have that, take it back, they should fix it.

If you are mechanically inclined, and don't mind doing some work, look at it as an opportunity to make it better. I put a HF 459cc max performance on our 2007. The YouTube video by Red Beards Garage is the reason I bought it. He took a brand new 459 & completely tore it apart. It seems VERY HD. It is a friggin BEAST now. I just used it to blow 8-10" of wet, heavy Buffalo lake effect snow and it worked WAY BETTER than the stock one did when it was brand new ! I used to have to go about a foot in the deep heavy stuff, then wait for it to clear itself, then go forward again. Not anymore. This thing just eats it up & it will now blow it across the street with ease, from halfway down my driveway ! It was a total success and I am loving it again. So glad I didn't get rid of it.
Keep us posted please.
Yeah, I'm catty corner from you on the Great Lakes: Kingston, ON. And yeah, I kind of feel like a tool for not stowing it properly or running it during the summer. In my defense, I never did that w/ my prior blower (MTD 380 20", built in '04) and ass-u-me-d that it would be no problem. Why? B/c it's a X*&%! Ariens! LOL We only got hit w/ 5" or so of snow, so I guess I'm lucky.

I consider myself handy, but I think I hit a wall regarding the upgrade you described. Why?
Glad you asked! LOL
B/c I don't have any idea what an HF 459cc max performance is. I ((Think)) you're describing an engine, but...if you are, then you'd be telling me how much stronger the Force is w/ you, Obi-wan. No. Freaking. Way. Would I take on a job like that.

Anywhoo... the other poster (I'll be thanking him later) posted a vid on carb cleaning that I was already watching when I jumped back to see what other wisdom I could gain from the crowd here.

I was SOOO FREAKING PUMPED last year when I saw the delivery guy lower an Ariens off their truck. Now?
After that episode w/ the shear bolt not being installed at the factory, and now this...sigh
(It's not so much that someone made a boo-boo at the factory; hey, stuff happens, man. It's how I got NO response from them when I emailed them. I've gotten better replies for mess ups from much smaller companies. Then this? Crap)

I will post when I finish up.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the carb have a drain in it and do you have a fuel shutoff? Turn off the fuel and drain the carb if possible.

You can try spraying some carb cleaner into the carb throttle plate when it's open using the choke. I did this trick to get my Toro started a few weeks back. I used stabilizer as well but left the fuel in.
Check out these videos.

Ohkaaaayyy... I'm going to give the spray stuff a shot before taking on the carb job. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
@Jim_M58, some thoughts... Checking the shear bolts is a "before every use" thing and also could have broken early in your first use. Putting the machine away for the year in the new era of sketchy fuel is also covered in the manual. I don't think you should be blaming the machine. Please start by taking a few minutes to re-read your manuals and I think you'll have a happier experience with your Ariens going forward.

You can download digital copies here: Operator's Manuals - Ariens

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Spend some time reading threads in this forum and you will likely see that some of your issues may be self-inflicted. Gotta say that it sounds like you might have broken the shear pin in the snow drift before your neighbor pointed out that one side wasn't rotating. I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to respond to a shear pin issue when it was doing what was supposed to do. The schmoo running out the exhaust is also not the manufactures fault. Trying to start a blower on dead fuel will result in that 95% of the time. Hang in there and we will attempt to help you clear these things up.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
What happened to you, no matter who is at fault, also can and does happen with other brands. 😎

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you SO much for responding so quickly.
Yeah, I did. I never had any problems w/ the other machine (much smaller engine- 5 hp v 9) and I thought it would be no problem. Used hi-test gas w/ fuel stablilzer.
Am I wrong to have expected and Ariens product to perform as well as the Chinese one?
Anyway...so I should clean the carb out? I'm not afraid to tackle the job; I think there's enought YouTube vids etc to guide me thru.
Looking @ your time here, you got any tips?
Again, thanks.
Jim
Watch this guy on Youtube......he goes into detail when cleaning and rebuilding carbs, gummed up fuel systems are the death of so many snow blowers, lawnmowers and the like. I personally only use fresh marine grade ethanol free gas, I use it before it gets old, and I always completely drain my gas tanks and carbs when I store them so that the fuel delivery system does not get all gummed up, also..... I have stopped using gas stabilizer, many may crucify me here for saying that but where I live I have easy access to Marine grade ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
462 Posts
Just remember snow blowers requirement maintenance. Most of them are basic in design and you just need to do a few simple things to keep them going for a long time. Learn how to baby your machines and you'll be a happy camper. If you think you just need to gas and go and be problem free, then tell us what you're smoking 🤣🤣🤣 (just kidding).

Shear pins are designed to prevent costly damage to your gear box. Get some extras and learn how to replace them before winter.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
As others have mentioned, read and follow the owners manual to prevent future issues.
Make sure you check the oil level, could have fuel in it.
Did you buy the machine from a dealer or big box store? Did you contact them regarding the "missing" shear bolt?
I think it probably could have sheared during your first use, but either way you are only out a couple bucks.
I think your new machine is the entry level Ariens Classic with the 208cc engine (approx. 6.5HP)?
It is definitely a step up from your older machine both feature and quality wise. It will process more snow and toss it further, but don't expect that it will "blow the doors off" the old machine performance wise. You went from a 5 hp 20" machine to a 6.5HP 24" machine, pretty close to the same HP to bucket width ratio.
Hope you get it sorted out and running well, we just got 12" of wet heavy snow and expect another 12" tomorrow through Sunday.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The goo in the exhaust muffler is the unburned liquid (can't call it "fuel" after it was in the carb all summer) which has now been drawn thru the carb and then cycled thru the engine.

Your problem with the starting is NOT an Ariens issue. Any other brand engine in similar circumstances would result in the exact same manner.

A few four questions-
Does your Ariens' engine have fuel shut off valve?
If so, was this turned to the "off" position over the summer?
Did your previous snowblower's engine have a fuel shut off valve?
If so, did you turn it off every year?

Reason that I ask all this, is because if the fuel was left on or, if there is no fuel shut off, here's what happens: Throughout the summer, the gasoline in the carb float bowl is evaporating off the light hydrocarbons. The carb then allows more fuel to enter the carb, and then the process continues. Eventually, you have a carb full of heavy hydrocarbons which will only burn in a camp fire. Winter gas has a lower vapor pressure and is much more likely to evaporate off than summer gas.

Empty the carb bowl, drain all of the gas from the tank that you can, add fresh gas, and then fire it up. You may need to replace the spark plug.

Hope all of this helps.

·
Registered
ST824, Plat 24, Snow-Joe
90 Posts
"but it's an Ariens! I locked up both wheels b/c it was getting caught up in some drifts (I'm in Canada)"

You probably lost shear bolt at this moment but who knows. Could have happened anywhere along the supply chain

·
Registered
ST824, Plat 24, Snow-Joe
90 Posts
I did not see it mentioned but did you smell the oil you found leaking into exhaust port? If it smells like gas than you got a carb clog and it backed up into your crankcase. Drain it or damage it ;-)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I got a free Compact 24 from some gals a couple of years abo and they said they hated the Ariens 24 and since I only had one in the past (ST-824) I took it when they tossed it on the curb because it looked like new. After I spent some time on it, the 24 ran so poorly and did not blow snow well like the OP said his does. Well it turned out no matter how I cleaned the carb this engine just wouldn't work so I bought a new carb off Amazon and we were off to the races. That blower really impressed me after getting it running right, so much so my Son now has it but has not used it in 2 years. Two weeks ago I fired it up on 2 year old gas, after 4 pulls it fired right off, why? because I only use non-oxy fuel in my engines. Clean the carb out and get some good gas in the new machine, it will blow snow.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts