Snowblower Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a snowblower for 12 years. I bought it 2nd hand. It was kind of small, but it did the job. My problem w/it was that it didn't have a reverse (20" model) and my hip has gone bad (got a brand spankin' new one this August...)
For Christmas last year my wife bought me an Ariens 920025. I was SO excited!
Put in the gas (hi-test w/ stabilizer), and fired it up.
It wasn't doing a great job, but it's an Ariens! I locked up both wheels b/c it was getting caught up in some drifts (I'm in Canada). Still, that little 20" MTD grabbed and flung the snow better w/ an engine half the size.
My neighbor came over (this is the FIRST time I used it) and told me that only one side of the auger was turning.
???
Looked at it, and saw that there was no shear bolt. Luckily Ariens sent spares.
BUT
No shear bolt was installed at the factory.
I threw in one of the spares, and voila, we're blowin' snow....
NOTE: I sent Ariens and email about this and got NO response. Oh boy; not good.
THIS YEAR...
(Please note I stored it the same way I had stored the previous one: just parked it)
Now it's not starting. At all. Crank- nada; electric start, nope.
When I went to check the spark plug, and saw oil dripping out the exhaust port.
OH MAN...
Does anyone here? ANYONE have any idea? I think I got a lemon, and it's 53 weeks old. I'm shafted, aren't I?
This is something you can try without taking the carburetor off. And if you get it running again, if it is available in your area, use ethanol free fuel. Even high-test fuel has ethanol added unless it states it is ethanol free. Here is instructions from Sea Foam on how to clean a dirty or plugged carburetor. HOW2_GummedUp-Carb.pdf (seafoamworks.com)

·
Registered
301 Posts
When, I bought my Ariens 12 years ago, for the first 2 years, in would not start. I, called Ariens. I, said, what kind of junk engines are you putting on these snow blowers. I, explained the problem to him. This is what he told me. At the end of the season. Run it untill it stops. Put enough True Fuel in the tank to start it. Run it untill it stops. Do this about 3 times. After it stops for the 3rd time, drain the carb. Squirt some WD40 in the carb. Let it drain out, then put the screw back in the carb. store it. I, have been doing that for 10 years. My blower always starts in the fall with about 3 or 4 pulls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all - I had a few minutes between prepping food and getting cleaned up. the warranty question was bothering me so I did a search and found this information
hopefully it's useful to Jim M58 in terms of taking advantage of it to get his "new" machine repaired /replaced

(sorry about all the extra lines)
https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/manuals/ariens-f09320fc43efec800086e1b52305d185.pdf - complete information on site

partial information:
Ariens Company (Ariens) warrants to the original purchaser that Ariens brand products purchased on or after 3/16/2018 will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the time period noted in the chart below. Equipment put to personal use around a single household or residence is considered “Residential Use.” Equipment put to any business use (agricultural, commercial, or industrial) or used at multiple locations is considered “Commercial Use.” If any product is rented or leased, then the duration of these warranties shall be 90 days after the date of purchase.
An authorized Ariens dealer will repair any defect in material or workmanship, and repair or replace any defective part, subject to the conditions, limitations and exclusions set forth herein. Such repair or replacement will be free of charge (labor and parts) to the original purchaser; except as noted below. Pick-up and delivery are at the owner’s expense.
The warranty code is found on the model and serial number identification label on the unit.
Warranty CodeProduct GroupWarranty Period

SAProfessional Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 1 Year Commercial Use.
SBCompact, Deluxe and Platinum Sno-Thro and Path-Pro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SCSno-Tek2 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SDDeluxe and Platinum EFI Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SE920-Series Classic Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.

Customer Responsibilities
Register the product immediately at the time of sale. If the dealer does not register the product, the customer must register the unit on-line at www.ariens.com.
To obtain warranty service, the original purchaser must:
  • Ensure that the maintenance and adjustments explained in the Operator’s Manual are routinely
    completed.
  • Promptly notify Ariens Company or an authorized Ariens service representative of the need for warranty
    service.
  • Transport the product to and from the place of warranty service at owner’s expense.
  • Have the warranty service performed by an authorized Ariens service representative.
    To find an authorized dealer use the dealer locator on our websites, or contact us by mail or phone.
Engine ManufacturerDetail
Ariens AXAriens- and Yamaha-branded engines are warranted by the manufacturer and the warranty is administrated by Ariens Company. Refer to the engine manual for warranty statements.
Yamaha
Briggs & Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler, SubaruCovered by the engine manufacturer’s warranty.
Refer to the engine manufacturer’s warranty statements.
Globally except Australia or New Zealand:Australia or New Zealand:
Ariens Company 655 W. Ryan Street Brillion, WI 54110 Phone: (920) 756 - 4688 www.ariens.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your oil level. It sounds like maybe the fuel tank emptied into the crankcase through the carb. You don't want to get it started with a crankcase full of gasoline.
I agree. If the float stuck and gas drained into the crank case and overfilled it this could happen. Shear pins are a minor issue. Thats why there’s spares with most new blowers. At the end of the season turn off your fuel and run the carb dry. If you have excess fuel in the engine block, drain it all out, add the recommended amount of 5w-30 synthetic oil, add new treated fuel (with stabil), prime the carb and try starting it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Late to the party, but my comments . . .

Most of the engines on these are made in China . . . So, they all are 'Chinese' engines.

In order to be successful with OPE (Outdoor Power Equipment) you really need to have a decent understanding of small engine maintenance and troubleshooting. Lots of folks don't have that knowledge or skill, and it becomes a challenge.

Fuel system issues seem to be the most common problems after an off-season layup.

Machines of 'today' tend to suffer from 'cost savings' by their manufacturer. Any brand of machine can have these types of issues.

Reactions: Jim_M58

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
EEET'S AAAALIIIIIVE!!
Plant Natural environment Grass Agricultural machinery Jacket

Whhoooo hooo!
And, and... AND my thin wife plastered a wet sloppy on me! (see earlier posts...for the pun about typos! LOL)
I'm totally stoked right now; it's running like a dream.
LET IT SNOW BAYYYBEEE!
I'll be putting up a pretty comprehensive report (don't worry, no more selfies, lol) on what I did rong and what I did right.
I'll be going through EVERY comment here thanking each of you. The caption on the pic is the truth.
You guys and gals got me through this, I'm not exaggerating.
I'm having fam over on Sun for boid, but for now, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Jim

🍺🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
So.... Did this machine sit for months unused, maybe from April 2022 to November 2022? Did you leave gasoline in it? It sounds like you have gummed up gasoline in your carburetor.
She's runnin' now! Thanks for your advice. I'm going to be posting a more comprehensive take on what happened. One point to make: I drained the carb into a glass jar, the tank into a separate container and put fresh gas (Premium Octane from Canadian Tire which has the rep up here to have 0 ethanol in it). AAand I poured some of the fresh gas into a glass jar and there was no difference in color, viscosity (OK, I just swirled it like I was checking the 'legs' of a glass of wine). No debris in the first 2 jars either.

BUT...
there is NO air filter on this carb. It could have easily been tiny pieces of grit, or dust (those ports in the brass doo-hickey are really teensy weensy). I'm just noting this here for when I write this up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Most of the OHV engines on snowblowers use a Honda-style carburetor with a 10mm bolt holding the carb bowl. Yes, there must be hundreds of carb clean videos on youtube.

I don't know if yours has a fuel shutoff valve or not, but if it does, close the fuel valve before attempting to disassemble the carburetor. If not, have a suitable container to catch the dripping fuel when you undo that 10mm bolt.

Do this in a well-ventilated area or outside.

If you happen to have a can of carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner, that would be ideal. A small metal wire (from a twist-tie or a metal brush) would also be useful to have to clean the main jet and/or the emulsion tube.
It's runnin now! But thank you for the vid and advice.
Is the 'emulsion tube' the red doo-hicky or the brass insert that's adjustable? (I'd love to learn new werds! lol)
That's a good vid; I watched both of his a few times for guidance on disass & reass. In it though, I don't think he checked to port on what I call the red doo-hicky and I <<THINK>> that was where the problem was.

I also used spray carb cleaner on it.
Again, thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Does the carb have a drain in it and do you have a fuel shutoff? Turn off the fuel and drain the carb if possible.

You can try spraying some carb cleaner into the carb throttle plate when it's open using the choke. I did this trick to get my Toro started a few weeks back. I used stabilizer as well but left the fuel in.
Check out these videos.

Yeah, I gave the ez fix first but w/ no success. It's running now, but I wasn't able to isolate what the actual problem was. I THINK it must have been a piece of grit in one of the ports- I'm suspecting the red doo-hicky b/c that one has only 1 port at the base of it. Sure I could be wrong, but that spot looks to me like it could be a choke point.

Again, thanks.
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
@Jim_M58, some thoughts... Checking the shear bolts is a "before every use" thing and also could have broken early in your first use. Putting the machine away for the year in the new era of sketchy fuel is also covered in the manual. I don't think you should be blaming the machine. Please start by taking a few minutes to re-read your manuals and I think you'll have a happier experience with your Ariens going forward.

You can download digital copies here: Operator's Manuals - Ariens
Thanks man.
I want to emphasize that the crappy throwing was right out of the box. I'm not kidding nor exaggerating. I recall it specifically b/c when I started I felt let down that it wasn't doing as good a job as my small one. And the drifts I talked about were drifts of fresh snow; no ice at all.

What the hell...that problem did get fixed right off the bat, right? It's only my opinion that the bolt was missed; I have zero evidence to the contrary. I do, however have a much, much stronger opinion about Ariens in this regard insofar as not even acknowledging my email. That casts a light on the overall company's attitude towards new customers. And I'll be getting into that later on when I write up this experience.

Let me put it this way: as far as I'm concerned I'm STUCK with this snowblower. I'll make do with it; but I'll never do business w/ the company again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Spend some time reading threads in this forum and you will likely see that some of your issues may be self-inflicted. Gotta say that it sounds like you might have broken the shear pin in the snow drift before your neighbor pointed out that one side wasn't rotating. I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to respond to a shear pin issue when it was doing what was supposed to do. The schmoo running out the exhaust is also not the manufactures fault. Trying to start a blower on dead fuel will result in that 95% of the time. Hang in there and we will attempt to help you clear these things up.
Yeah, I know, I know...rookie w/ a new toy not looking after it; I getcha'.
My question though is why am I able to just park the old one season in and out without any problem like this? Also, I have other small engine equipment that have never had this issue: chain saw/ weed eater / lawn mower... Yeah, the first 2 are 2 cycle engines, but still...

So for now, I'm willing to accept a certain amount of responsibility, but on the other hand, I can't get away from how this problem has not been encountered with the other 2 4 stroke engine items I've owned. I can't shake that, man.
(I posted a couple of times about the shear pin issue. In the course of things, I do want to say that it's possible it broke. And if that's the case, it IS kind of a smart play on Airens' part. Put in a more 'delicate' or whatever shear pin to avoid a much bigger problem should the impeller capture a huge chunk of ice. To be completely honest, I can fully appreciate that decision process. And furthermore, they DID ship the unit with TWO replacements, right? Right. I'm just trying to be fair.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Watch this guy on Youtube......he goes into detail when cleaning and rebuilding carbs, gummed up fuel systems are the death of so many snow blowers, lawnmowers and the like. I personally only use fresh marine grade ethanol free gas, I use it before it gets old, and I always completely drain my gas tanks and carbs when I store them so that the fuel delivery system does not get all gummed up, also..... I have stopped using gas stabilizer, many may crucify me here for saying that but where I live I have easy access to Marine grade ethanol free gas.
That guy's something else, huh? WOW. I didn't find one pertinent to my problem, but wow does he know his stuff. Thanks.
NORTH BAY??? Now that's snow country!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Just remember snow blowers requirement maintenance. Most of them are basic in design and you just need to do a few simple things to keep them going for a long time. Learn how to baby your machines and you'll be a happy camper. If you think you just need to gas and go and be problem free, then tell us what you're smoking 🤣🤣🤣 (just kidding).

Shear pins are designed to prevent costly damage to your gear box. Get some extras and learn how to replace them before winter.
Yeah, I hear ya.
Shear pins? I LEARNED HOW TO REPLACE EM THE FIRST DAY I USED THIS! LOL
Thanks.
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Did you buy the machine from a dealer or big box store?
Did you contact them regarding the "missing" shear bolt?
- Got it from Rona, and no I didn't contact them.
I think it probably could have sheared during your first use, but either way you are only out a couple bucks.
Not a prob: it came w/ 2 spares.
I think your new machine is the entry level Ariens Classic with the 208cc engine (approx. 6.5HP)?
It is definitely a step up from your older machine both feature and quality wise. It will process more snow and toss it further, but don't expect that it will "blow the doors off" the old machine performance wise. You went from a 5 hp 20" machine to a 6.5HP 24" machine, pretty close to the same HP to bucket width ratio.
- yeah, here's the thing: the big ass label sez 9.5 ft-lbs... As a rookie when it comes to engines I interpreted that as HP. (Stop with that smirk already; I'm just a homeowner when it comes to engines, okayyyy? LOL) But yeah, you're right (and obviously, catching that bucket ratio shows you know what you're talking about.) So I got suckered (kinda).

Hope you get it sorted out and running well, we just got 12" of wet heavy snow and expect another 12" tomorrow through Sunday.
- Dodged a bullet here in K-town. We got that 6" dump (well, to US it's a dump, okay? lol and just a dusting the next day)
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The goo in the exhaust muffler is the unburned liquid (can't call it "fuel" after it was in the carb all summer) which has now been drawn thru the carb and then cycled thru the engine.

Your problem with the starting is NOT an Ariens issue. Any other brand engine in similar circumstances would result in the exact same manner.

A few four questions-
Does your Ariens' engine have fuel shut off valve?
If so, was this turned to the "off" position over the summer?
- no it wasn't.
Did your previous snowblower's engine have a fuel shut off valve?
- nope.
If so, did you turn it off every year?

Reason that I ask all this, is because if the fuel was left on or, if there is no fuel shut off, here's what happens: Throughout the summer, the gasoline in the carb float bowl is evaporating off the light hydrocarbons. The carb then allows more fuel to enter the carb, and then the process continues. Eventually, you have a carb full of heavy hydrocarbons which will only burn in a camp fire. Winter gas has a lower vapor pressure and is much more likely to evaporate off than summer gas.
- that's a revelation to yours truly; no kidding. I won't test your statement about heavy hydrocarbons in my fire pit this summer tho'; I'll take your word for it! :p

Empty the carb bowl, drain all of the gas from the tank that you can, add fresh gas, and then fire it up. You may need to replace the spark plug.
- kept the old plug (cleaned it up all sparkly tho'. OK, I'll confess that I forgot to grab one when I went to get the carb cleaner...) , but followed all your other advice during the repair.

Hope all of this helps.
Thanks man. 🍺🍺🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I got a free Compact 24 from some gals a couple of years abo and they said they hated the Ariens 24 and since I only had one in the past (ST-824) I took it when they tossed it on the curb because it looked like new. After I spent some time on it, the 24 ran so poorly and did not blow snow well like the OP said his does. Well it turned out no matter how I cleaned the carb this engine just wouldn't work so I bought a new carb off Amazon
- after reading this I went on Amazon. I'll be honest, it was bit overwhelming. Sure, I found pretty much identical carbs, but my logic was that I was replacing one crummy carb w/ the same crummy carb. I'll probably be asking 'what's a better carb that fits this model' in the future and suck some more wisdom from you guys.

It's running pretty good now, and was doing a great job last winter.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a crummy carb the mnfr put on this machine to save a couple of bucks.

and we were off to the races. That blower really impressed me after getting it running right, so much so my Son now has it but has not used it in 2 years. Two weeks ago I fired it up on 2 year old gas, after 4 pulls it fired right off, why? because I only use non-oxy fuel in my engines. Clean the carb out and get some good gas in the new machine, it will blow snow.
Thanks man.
🍺

81 - 100 of 119 Posts