Snowblower Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I'm inclined to believe, like the others, that your problems may be self-inflicted. Please note I said "MAY".
My ego thanks you! :p

The carburetor jets on newer small engines are smaller than the old ones because the new ones have to run a much leaner mixture. You can thank the good folks at the EPA for that. A downside of course is that the jets clog more easily than the jets of old so this issue is not Ariens' fault, it is pretty much universal among all small engines now.
Hmmm...my 'old one' was easily 15-20 years old; maybe that has something to do with it. An earlier poster talked about how he changed the carb on my model and all was well...I wonder if the ports on the replacement carb are bigger? Hmmm...

(BTW, although I don't yet have a new hip I'm soon to be eligible to get one at age 72.)
My experience was excruciating the first week post op. But most people I've spoken sailed through it. Get the gear they recommend- walker, toilet seat booster, grabber etc.

Although you may get away with using fuel stabilizer over the summer, what I have been doing after a similar experience 30+ years ago after they started putting alcohol in fuel is during the off season I drain ALL fuel from the system, be it snow blower, lawn mower, leaf blower, whatever. I drain the tank, fuel lines, and carburetor bowl. Everything. And I haven't had a moment's fuel-related problem since I started that practice. I figure that's good because that's the way new equipment is shipped and it may sit on the shelf for years, then start right up when someone buys it and adds fuel.

Others swear by running all their engines every few months or using stabilizer. Hey, whatever works, works for them, so it's good. Draining the fuel works for me so that's what I stick with.
Either way, yeah, I'll be looking after this puppy more. Not a happy camper about that, but yeah.

Regarding the presence or absence of the shear pin, we'll probably never know unless you find it in the spring when the snow melts. But I'd bet on it being there and it broke and no one noticed until your neighbor saw only one auger spinning. The same thing happened to me once too, only I did notice it wasn't throwing snow as well as usual. My current snow blower is an Ariens Deluxe 24 that is four years old and hasn't given me a moment's trouble.
What's the engine specs on the Deluxe? Size? Ft-lb torque specifically. Just curious (and too lazy to look it up, I know, I know...lol)🍺:p

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
443 Posts
You would think that Ariens would provide better service, but some people don't step up. It's become too common and we vote with our dollars and buy elsewhere.

Toyota has dud vehicles too and when it happens they act like it never does. All companies can create lemons.... It's how they handle the lemonade is what sets them apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I'm wondering if you should buy a replacement carb off Amazon? One of the adjustable types. Maybe that original carb has some defect with machining or one of the small jets is way to small. With all of the issues these days that wouldn't be a surprise.

That may fix your issues. I bought carbs off Amazon.ca for $25 CDN.

Something like this one on the link. The adjustable part is the main jet on the bottom. https://a.co/d/3XowvEv
Product Font Camera accessory Gas Machine

That's EXACTLY what I'm thinking of getting! Thank youuuu!
The adj screw at the bottom is what I did to fix the over-revving I discussed. BUT w/ the manf. installed carb, in order to make the adjustment I had to remove the carb completely to do it.

Y'see, this is part of my gripe w/ Airens... THIS is the kind of carb they could have installed in the factory. Adjusting the flow rate/ fuel mix would be a snap w/ this item.
I'll just buy the frikkin' thing and make sure that it'll go on. (With this saga, I've gotten really, REALLY good at taking the carb off and on. LOL
Thanks so much.
🍺 🍺 🍺

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Is the 'emulsion tube' the red doo-hicky or the brass insert that's adjustable? (I'd love to learn new werds! lol)
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Slope

#1 = pilot screw
#2 = pilot jet
#4 = main jet
#5 = main nozzle aka emulsion tube

There was an adjustable screw on the bottom of your carburetor?? Please post a picture. What you've posted is a adjustable Tecumseh carburetor that hasn't been in use in quite some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Blue flame is oxygen rich, and is a result of the fuel/air mixture not completing combustion until it passes through the exhaust. I think anyway lol. A spark plug issue could cause this. Are you at the point you voided the warranty and that's why you keep trying? Its fun for us to help but not sure how much you should endure...
Yeah, it turned out I needed to back off the needle valve. It was this post along w/ a later one that got me to back off on an internal screw (1 1/2 turns from seated)
Thanks man.
BTW... is THAT your snowblower in your avatar??? Whoaaaa!
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
It seems you may have a carb linkage problem. In operation there is usually a spring trying to open the carb valve and a link from the governor trying to close the valve. Under normal conditions , with full throttle, the 2 forces are equal and the engine runs at the "governed speed" usually about 3000-3600rpm. The faster the engine speed the greater the force trying to close the carb valve.
My first assumption would not be an internal governor problem. Since you have removed and re-installed the carb I would suspect a linkage and/or spring problem.
Did you take any pictures of the linkage before you started to remove the carb? If not I would start looking for pictures and/or illustrations of the carb linkage.
If this is indeed the problem it will surely be much simpler to fix than taking the engine apart.
Just my $0.02
The linkages were all good; I checked and have pretty pics of them before and after, they match up. Turned out to be post 78 that fixed the over revving.
Thanks for your experienced advice, I really appreciate the instructions and info on how the governor operates. Engineering of this type really fascinates me; I'm not kidding.
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I'm with Wrenchit and wondering why this machine hasn't gone back to whoever sold it, warranty in hand and asking when the new machine will be delivered to replace this problem machine.
I understand offering advice on the various issues with this particular machine and all have merit, but.... man... I'd be at the door of the company that sold it to me
Sorry in advance if I offend/insult anyone

to Jim M58, Good luck with the Ariens, I hope you resolve whatever the problem(s) is (are)
I have a 68 Ariens as well as 2 from the 70s and 80s, I run the newer (lol) ones on 8-10 snowblowing sidewalk jobs each storm and rarely have any problems,
I'll be honest here: if I had a pickup truck and an extra set of hands, I'd probably have raised hell at the big box store. But that sucker's gotta weigh 150-200 lbs, and it's too big to fit into my rogue. When it was delivered they used a freakin' fork lift.

But also...as much as I detest Ariens now (and I really, really do), this bastard's MINE. I'll put up w/it. I'll be replacing the carb this summer if I get thru the winter w/out any more problems.
Thanks for your well wishes, bud; I really appreciated them when I first read your post.
🍺

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,617 Posts
View attachment 203457
That's EXACTLY what I'm thinking of getting! Thank youuuu!
The adj screw at the bottom is what I did to fix the over-revving I discussed. BUT w/ the manf. installed carb, in order to make the adjustment I had to remove the carb completely to do it.

Y'see, this is part of my gripe w/ Airens... THIS is the kind of carb they could have installed in the factory. Adjusting the flow rate/ fuel mix would be a snap w/ this item.
I'll just buy the frikkin' thing and make sure that it'll go on. (With this saga, I've gotten really, REALLY good at taking the carb off and on. LOL
Thanks so much.
🍺 🍺 🍺
They didn't because they are illegal . . . In the US, the EPA will not allow adjusble carbs, and Canada tends to folow thier lead. (Don't confuse the availability of offshore parts with legality!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
This is something you can try without taking the carburetor off. And if you get it running again, if it is available in your area, use ethanol free fuel. Even high-test fuel has ethanol added unless it states it is ethanol free. Here is instructions from Sea Foam on how to clean a dirty or plugged carburetor. HOW2_GummedUp-Carb.pdf (seafoamworks.com)
The carb was pristine when I took it apart (there's pics on the thread). I THINK/Suspect/hypothesize...? that it was a piece of grit in the red doo-hickey in this cheapskate component. Ariens ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting it on.
Thanks for chiming in though. I appreciate you taking the time.
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
When, I bought my Ariens 12 years ago, for the first 2 years, in would not start. I, called Ariens. I, said, what kind of junk engines are you putting on these snow blowers. I, explained the problem to him. This is what he told me. At the end of the season. Run it untill it stops. Put enough True Fuel in the tank to start it. Run it untill it stops. Do this about 3 times. After it stops for the 3rd time, drain the carb. Squirt some WD40 in the carb. Let it drain out, then put the screw back in the carb. store it. I, have been doing that for 10 years. My blower always starts in the fall with about 3 or 4 pulls.
So this is what they told you on the phone? Did that solve the non-starting issue you called them over?
IDK what kind of carb is on yours, but I'm going to be swapping out my carb for the one described in an earlier post (I put a pic up on it from Amazon Canada).

Frankly, what I'm thinking is that the rigamarole that Ariens has you doing is making up for the CHEAP AF carb they installed at the factory, but that's only my opinion. You're doing a LOT of labor, and they made the profit. I'm serious.
But hey... you didn't have the day I had that started this thread did ya? HUH? lol

Thanks man.
🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to all - I had a few minutes between prepping food and getting cleaned up. the warranty question was bothering me so I did a search and found this information
hopefully it's useful to Jim M58 in terms of taking advantage of it to get his "new" machine repaired /replaced

(sorry about all the extra lines)
https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/manuals/ariens-f09320fc43efec800086e1b52305d185.pdf - complete information on site

partial information:
Ariens Company (Ariens) warrants to the original purchaser that Ariens brand products purchased on or after 3/16/2018 will be free from defects in material and workmanship for the time period noted in the chart below. Equipment put to personal use around a single household or residence is considered “Residential Use.” Equipment put to any business use (agricultural, commercial, or industrial) or used at multiple locations is considered “Commercial Use.” If any product is rented or leased, then the duration of these warranties shall be 90 days after the date of purchase.
An authorized Ariens dealer will repair any defect in material or workmanship, and repair or replace any defective part, subject to the conditions, limitations and exclusions set forth herein. Such repair or replacement will be free of charge (labor and parts) to the original purchaser; except as noted below. Pick-up and delivery are at the owner’s expense.
The warranty code is found on the model and serial number identification label on the unit.
Warranty CodeProduct GroupWarranty Period

SAProfessional Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 1 Year Commercial Use.
SBCompact, Deluxe and Platinum Sno-Thro and Path-Pro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SCSno-Tek2 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SDDeluxe and Platinum EFI Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.
SE920-Series Classic Sno-Thro3 Years Residential Use. 90 Days Commercial Use.

Customer Responsibilities
Register the product immediately at the time of sale. If the dealer does not register the product, the customer must register the unit on-line at www.ariens.com.
To obtain warranty service, the original purchaser must:
  • Ensure that the maintenance and adjustments explained in the Operator’s Manual are routinely
    completed.
  • Promptly notify Ariens Company or an authorized Ariens service representative of the need for warranty
    service.
  • Transport the product to and from the place of warranty service at owner’s expense.
  • Have the warranty service performed by an authorized Ariens service representative.
    To find an authorized dealer use the dealer locator on our websites, or contact us by mail or phone.

Engine ManufacturerDetail
Ariens AXAriens- and Yamaha-branded engines are warranted by the manufacturer and the warranty is administrated by Ariens Company. Refer to the engine manual for warranty statements.
Yamaha
Briggs & Stratton, Kawasaki, Kohler, SubaruCovered by the engine manufacturer’s warranty.
Refer to the engine manufacturer’s warranty statements.

Globally except Australia or New Zealand:Australia or New Zealand:
Ariens Company 655 W. Ryan Street Brillion, WI 54110 Phone: (920) 756 - 4688 www.ariens.com

Thanks for this- yeah, that stuff's in my manual.
You gotta love their 'Transport the item to the retailer..."
Meh.
But yeah, this is a chintzy carb...from a chintzy company. (see above)
And as for youuuu... again thanks!
🍺🍺🍺

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
View attachment 203460

#1 = pilot screw
#2 = pilot jet
#4 = main jet
#5 = main nozzle aka emulsion tube

There was an adjustable screw on the bottom of your carburetor?? Please post a picture. What you've posted is a adjustable Tecumseh carburetor that hasn't been in use in quite some time.
Your pic is pretty much what came factory installed. The pic I posted it the one I'd like to replace it with. Not sayin I AM...cuz according to another poster, THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL, and God forbid... :cool:

·
Registered
ST824, Plat 24, Snow-Joe
83 Posts
Yeah, it turned out I needed to back off the needle valve. It was this post along w/ a later one that got me to back off on an internal screw (1 1/2 turns from seated)
Thanks man.
BTW... is THAT your snowblower in your avatar??? Whoaaaa!
🍺
No but a fun time it would be. I was doing some research and found that machine throwing snow measured by yards not feet. I was so impressed with the process it must have taken
from spitball to production.
I'm glad you got it running, it was a great written exam for everyone here lol. To be honest, I'm not even sure we know exactly all the things that went wrong or right to get to this point lol. For you to take the time to respond to each however demonstrates a great sense of kindness and the type of fella that's ok with me, Godspeed my friend

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
What happened to you has happened to others here at least 17,345 times.

youse people are what is making me a snowblower grease monkey millionaire......:cool:
In a previous life I was a licensed Plumbing & Heating contractor in the NYC area. I used to tell people:
'You're **** is my bread and butter'
Har-dee-har har.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts