Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just picked up a ST1032 as it needed repair for $0
, and the person did not want to fix it. Great score for me. I am very handy and know these machines very well, but I am having a problem with one issue that I cannot seem to get a photo of or a clear issue of what is going on as I cannot remember the set up in my head. The lower shift rod is falling out of the upper shift rod when being shifted. I cannot remember if it threads together or just sits in (cant be because that is what is going on now and it falls out when shifting), is a retainer that is missing? I attached a photo of the diagram and the model and serial number, and you can see the set up I am talking about.
On the diagram it does not show any parts other than the upper shift rod, lower shift rod with nut. So now Im thinking that the shift rod itself is missing something on it. One idea I have is just drilling a hole through both at the same time and just putting a pin in to hold it together.
Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wonder if rusted out, because it slides in and out no threads to catch
Is the male thread still there? - hard to tell from the pic.
If so, you could weld on a nut or internal thread hex stock to the upper rod tip. Or even weld it to the side of the rod if appearance is not critical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the male thread still there? - hard to tell from the pic.
If so, you could weld on a nut or internal thread hex stock to the upper rod tip. Or even weld it to the side of the rod if appearance is not critical.
yes male thread on the lower shaft still there, but I do not have weld capabilities

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like that lower rod should be floating in the upper rod some way, as when you shift that lower part needs to adjust?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feel like that lower rod should be floating in the upper rod some way, as when you shift that lower part needs to adjust?
There's no need for anything in those rods to float while shifting.
The thread was to allow length adjustment of the gear shift linkage. If you pin, weld, or epoxy the rods you will no longer have that adjustment available.
It's possible you could get a form-a-thread product to work in this low-stress application.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
14 fits in to 12, 13 is a stop nut that prevents 14 from turning. I'd get a threaded coupler and cut #12 shorter to compensate then go to a muffler shop or welder and ask them to tack it.

Reactions: Tony-chicago
1 - 8 of 8 Posts