Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I went to Search : eReplacementParts.com as mentioned in a stickied thread, but my model doesn't have a diagram visible.

I found the part number, 10164, for the blade in my manual but need the nuts and bolts to attach it since my current ones are pretty worn out.

Looking on the Amazon listing for the blade, someone commented I'd need:
5/16-18 x 1" Carriage Bolts, Round Head, Square Neck, Stainless Steel 18-8, Full Thread
5/16-18 Serrated Flange Hex Lock Nuts, Stainless Steel 304

Looking thru eReplacementParts I didn't see a 5/16 1" carriage bolt though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, what would I use for the nut?

I found some online like these Uxcell 5/16"-18 UNC Thread 304 Stainless Steel Hex Serrated Flange Nut Fastener (8-pack) - Walmart.com - Walmart.com , but I'm trying to find something close by like Home Depot or Ace Hardware that I can get sooner.

I found these carriage bolts at home depot that seem to be similar to what you linked Midwest Fastener® 5/16"-18 Zinc Serrated Lock Nut - 2 Count at Menards®

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try the bolt depot Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online they even sell per bolt or nut several of the members in here use them
I think I ran into a bigger issue.

Looks like the nuts they have on currently are almost flush with the bottom where the scraper blade meets the auger housing. I went to try and remove them to measure and they are 1/2" and shorter than 1" long, I didn't bother to measure once I realized I can't get them off. I'll have to take more photos slater and figure out what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
@Mikeinator, the rounded off nuts are a common problem with neglected machines.

Do you have an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel? If the nuts are no longer hex-shaped, I'd just grind them off.

I bought a 100-pack of stainless 5/16-18 bolts/nuts and a 100-pack of 5/16 washers from bolt depot a while back, but my local hardware store that's a Do It Best franchise also has a great selection of stainless hardware, so does my local Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
133 Posts
Hi everyone,

I went to Search : eReplacementParts.com as mentioned in a stickied thread, but my model doesn't have a diagram visible.

I found the part number, 10164, for the blade in my manual but need the nuts and bolts to attach it since my current ones are pretty worn out.

Looking on the Amazon listing for the blade, someone commented I'd need:
5/16-18 x 1" Carriage Bolts, Round Head, Square Neck, Stainless Steel 18-8, Full Thread
5/16-18 Serrated Flange Hex Lock Nuts, Stainless Steel 304

Looking thru eReplacementParts I didn't see a 5/16 1" carriage bolt though.
I love my local hardware store. Still has Bins and trays of any bolt and nut you would want. Buy only what you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Mikeinator, the rounded off nuts are a common problem with neglected machines.

Do you have an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel? If the nuts are no longer hex-shaped, I'd just grind them off.

I bought a 100-pack of stainless 5/16-18 bolts/nuts and a 100-pack of 5/16 washers from bolt depot a while back, but my local hardware store that's a Do It Best franchise also has a great selection of stainless hardware, so does my local Ace Hardware.
i will have to see if my dad has an angle grinder or otherwise my coworker has one.

they look a bit rounded and definitely worn down at an angle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's how mine looked when I bought it. I just cut them off with an angle grinder. That happens when the blade isn't adjusted and the feet wear down and wear the blade down and drag the bolts and bucket. I see your bucket is worn down as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's how mine looked when I bought it. I just cut them off with an angle grinder. That happens when the blade isn't adjusted and the feet wear down and wear the blade down and drag the bolts and bucket. I see your bucket is worn down as well.
there is some wear on the bucket. When I put on the skid shoes I made sure not to tighten the bolts til I set it back down and I grabbed a pint stick to give the 1/8” clearance like I saw on YouTube but I had no resistance from the sides of the bucket at all!
I’ve got some work to do in the spring to spray paint rusted areas and tighten up some spots. It’s a bit shaky when trying to reverse and requires more manual pulling from me than I would think needed. But I got it for $225 and it ran nicely today.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I would immediately get a new cutting edge (scrapper bar) on that machine.

It also looks like the bucket needs to be welded in the corners, as it appears they are tearing, which is common in that area, especially when the skids are not adjusted properly, along with a worn out cutting edge, due to the constant shock pressure in that area.

Another thing you may want to consider is installing the Arnold Poly Roller Skids .. I have switched all my machines over to them, as many others here have done as well. Best improvement you can make, as well as having the XTrac tires (direction specific), instead of the lawn tires with chains bouncing/shaking it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would immediately get a new cutting edge (scrapper bar) on that machine.

It also looks like the bucket needs to be welded in the corners, as it appears they are tearing, which is common in that area, especially when the skids are not adjusted properly, along with a worn out cutting edge, due to the constant shock pressure in that area.

Another thing you may want to consider is installing the Arnold Poly Roller Skids .. I have switched all my machines over to them, as many others here have done as well. Best improvement you can make, as well as having the XTrac tires (direction specific), instead of the lawn tires with chains bouncing/shaking it.

View attachment 172863
View attachment 172864
The xtracs are amazing. Night and day difference. Even with the diff unlocked my blower had no issues pushing through 2ft of EOD mess.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Go to the hardware store, buy regular steel bolts, I seldom cut the bolts off as they either come off or they snap and break.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
@ou2mame,

Yeah, the XTrac are the best thing anyone can do for an upgrade, I use them on my equipment.

You should really consider the Arnold Poly Roller Skids as I mentioned, and get rid of those dragging steel ones. On sale at Walmart.com and Home Depot for 22.40 a pair (free shipping at Walmart over 35.00, just add anything to the cart).

You will not believe the new ability of maneuvering. Other people here have put them on, and were amazed, as I was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The xtracs are amazing. Night and day difference. Even with the diff unlocked my blower had no issues pushing through 2ft of EOD mess.

View attachment 172865
Is there a specific store recommended to get the tires from?

what size do I need? Looks like there’s a few options

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Depends on your tire size..... btw, these small wheels are a pain to change tires, unless you have something like the mini tire changer, like the one from Harbor Freight, (use coupon if buying there). Even with the mini tire changer, you will require a heat gun and some good tire lube, and a bit of a knack to it, but you will get the hang of it quick.

Can be had at Walmart.com, Summit Racing, etc.......just to name a few ....

Carlisle Tire and Wheel Company 5170161 Carlisle Xtrac Tires | Summit Racing

Carlisle Xtrac 13/4-6 TL Tire - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts