Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the snowblower in this ad.
https://albany.craigslist.org/grd/d/east-greenbush-ariens-snow-blower-8hp/7018831969.html
I'm wondering if anyone can tell what year this is and if it's a good purchase for the asking price of $275.
I looked around the internet for picture of different years and I think this one might be an '89 model.

Can anyone offer more info and their opinion on this machine.
I have a rather short driveway, so I don't need a huge machine. Also, I'm located in upstate eastern ny, so we do get quite a bit of snow occasionally.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm interested in the snowblower in this ad.
https://albany.craigslist.org/grd/d/east-greenbush-ariens-snow-blower-8hp/7018831969.html
I'm wondering if anyone can tell what year this is and if it's a good purchase for the asking price of $275.
I looked around the internet for picture of different years and I think this one might be an '89 model.

Can anyone offer more info and their opinion on this machine.
I have a rather short driveway, so I don't need a huge machine. Also, I'm located in upstate eastern ny, so we do get quite a bit of snow occasionally.

Thanks for your help!
Well I think it might be more of an early 80s model not 100% sure.

I would say that's a pretty good price for that machine in that good of shape. I just sold one for $400. Prices go up this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
hard to say without seeing it in person. you can see that it is freshly painted since inside the shoot is orange and muffler is black. also looks like the scraper bar might have been replaced since the 1 side looks like it may have had a skid wear out and allow the bucket to get chewed a bit.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I saw that also and thought of recommending it to a neighbor. If it runs good, it looks like a keeper. Just curious what you decide.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
good machine if in good shape, A 924 series I believe and at best early 80's as the pull start on the Tecumseh is the older style, Nothing wrong with that just an identifying item for how old.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Surely a good deal if it as it says …. good luck.

PS … I am not a fan of chains, rough on the machine, as well as the surface.....

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Great price. It may need new skid shoes and a scraper bar. Check that out.

Remove those chains. You don't need them unless you have a good size hill to go up and you are getting slippage.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Let me put in another vote in favor of that machine!

I've got one in my garage that's identical, or at least very close. I inherited it from my father so it's been in the family since new. It works great and has been very reliable. The only significant repair it's ever needed was carb replacement. Those aluminum auger gearboxes have a bad reputation but this one's been fine.

Oh and I agree with oneacer... ditch the chains and instead put on a set of sno-hog or xtrac tires.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have that same model Sno-Thro which I purchased new in 1989 (no idea how long it had been sitting in the OPE shop). It's an excellent machine and has been clearing my 150+ foot gravel driveway during some of the worst northeaster blizzards.

My machine came with the large diameter snow hog tires and the OPE shop owner said it wouldn't need chains (he was right). The one area where this machine falls short is the orange paint which flakes off due to poor adhesion even though it's been garaged its whole life. I've replaced the impeller bearing. It has had the friction wheel and belt replaced a couple times. It also has the Ariens UHMW polyethylene skid shoes. Ariens parts are readily available.

The machine in the Craigslist ad appears to have pretty good paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts