Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my gearcase, but it would not seal correctly and the impeller would not turn well at all. After trying to set the bushings right to match the inside of the gearcase I realized that the rear oil seal (black o-ring), was causing the problem.

I pulled that seal back on the worm shaft and sealed the gear case. Now the impeller spins freely and it all seems to work right.

Do I need that seal? I can't see alot of grease making its way past the thrust collar and bushing and out the rear of the gearcase in the winter.

I have no problem putting a little grease back in after each season.

·
Registered
271 Posts
While I've not tore down a gearbox in awhile, I would say YEP -- you'll need that seal, both to keep the grease in, as well as keep the salt/sand/water out....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I've not tore down a gearbox in awhile, I would say YEP -- you'll need that seal, both to keep the grease in, as well as keep the salt/sand/water out....
Thank you for the advice, I might try to put it back into the gearcase again. But honestly, it might not be an option. I could get it to close right with the seal and I can't replace it without removing the worm shaft from the impeller.

So I think I am done, I will push the seal to the back of the gearcase and hope for the best, I have hit my limit and just want to put the machine back to together again.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
When Everything is lined up, it Will close and seal. Be Patient, and try again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When Everything is lined up, it Will close and seal. Be Patient, and try again.
Ok, you were right, it took a third or fourth try but I got lucky and it worked. The seal is now back in the gearcase and its spinning feely.

What a job. I had to replace the bronze gear, remove the old grease. I had to heat up the thrust collar to get it loose so I could remove the broken shear-proof pin in the worm shaft. I can see why the guy sold me this machine and why broken gearcases cost so much to fix in labor.

Now I can put this machine back together, thank you everyone who helped along the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts