Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
can this be adapted to a craftsman 536.885910 . I guess I would need to remove the ring on the bottom. Do happen to know the diameter on the bottom and I'll go check what I have here. Thanks, Allan

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are gone. Thanks for your interest.

Only a few types can be adapted because your attaching to plastic lined ring. I don't have any of those. Fabrication could be a little more involved than it's worth IMO.

I do have a few med Ariens chutes and a holy Grail one.

Jack. I agree. Hope all is well....

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
"AriensProMike", pardon my ignorance but what are the advantages of having a "tall" chute?… I always thought that once the snow is thrown out… well…it's out!… How can the length of the chute make a difference once the snow is out? :icon-shrug:

Claude.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
The longer chute gives the snow a more controlled exit keeping the stream more uniform and controlled for further throw. The issue is the plastic that is on some of the older snowblowers are flimsy and not shaped the way the metal counter parts are. On late model blowers the plastic is sometimes better then the metal ones but this is for an old unit that has plenty of power.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
They also help because of how the deflector works, in that it always sends the snow sideways to some degree (you can't throw snow straight up in the air for obvious reasons).

The taller chute has the snow exiting higher up, which can help it clear obstacles. I have two snowblowers, each of which has one of the chutes in AriensProMike's photo a couple of posts above. And on one side, my driveway is bordered by a stone wall that's about 3 feet high. When there's a foot or two of snow already piled on top of that wall, the taller chute can get snow over that barrier whereas the shorter one cannot.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
"AriensProMike", pardon my ignorance but what are the advantages of having a "tall" chute?… I always thought that once the snow is thrown out… well…it's out!… How can the length of the chute make a difference once the snow is out? :icon-shrug:

Claude.
The easy explanation is to think of it like a regular shotgun and one that's sawed off. Same principal with the long and short chutes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have had three different chutes on my 1971 Ariens Sno Thro since I started using it back in 1985. Once I learned where the snow had to go, I started fooling around with things.

Basically... the original 11" chute is worthless when you have to throw the snow any kind of long distances or get the snow over anything.

The 15" chute that came on the 8/24 machines is a real good all around chute. It gives a good amount more of distance and gets over obstacles pretty well. A big surprise and advantage. I think I reached the 38' mark.

The 21" chute that came on the 36" machines is more for getting over obstacles rather than distance. This I noticed near the street when trying to throw snow over the bigger and teller snow banks. But as far as for the distance, I think the 15" chute as an edge over all the older chutes.

I eventually added an 11" chute on to the top of the 15" and 21" chutes for an extension to see if it would be possible to get better distance, but I really didn't see much of an improvement. The negative that I notice with the 21" chute is that snow flies back at your face when you turn it to the right because the lower area does not have the depth of the 11" and the 15" chutes. I had to add a baffle to correct this problem.

Now with the Pro 28 I am a little curious to see how this chute does. I know this machine is supposed to throw the snow in to the next town at around 50-60'. I hope the machine lives up to what is said about it.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
The negative that I notice with the 21" chute is that snow flies back at your face when you turn it to the right because the lower area does not have the depth of the 11" and the 15" chutes. I had to add a baffle to correct this problem.
That's interesting! Between my two machines, both have that problem but it's somewhat worse on the one with the shorter chute.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have no issues with the medium chute, but put the HG chute on all my "keepers" cause it looks cool. Probably doesn't throw any better but what the heck...I just can't leave anything stock...

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it helps with the angle and control that the snow is coming out of the machine. At a 100 degree angle I feel you get better control and it does not blower back at your face.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am trying to show and post photos on to this site to show you the differences in the chutes, but for some reason I can no longer do it. I do not understand why this site makes it so hard to post photos. I used to used Photo Bucket because someone years ago mentioned it. But now... there seems to be a problem with Photo Bucket also. So...so much for the photos.

That's interesting! Between my two machines, both have that problem but it's somewhat worse on the one with the shorter chute.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts