Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to order an Ariens platinum sho 24.

My boss just told me that he just ordered a new Ariens. He has a 9 year old Ariens 24 sho that he maintained well. He said that he will give it to me for trade In value. Any ideas of what that price range could be? He said that he paid $1300 9 years ago.

TIA

Yard man

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
The SHO models are new for 2015, they did not exist before 2015.

(update and correction: it was later determined in this thread the above is incorrect! ;) there was a SHO from 1997)

There is a wide range of 24" models..
in 2012 the least expensive 24" model was $600, and the most expensive 24" model was $1,400.

I have some prices here:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/Ariens/Page9.html

So 24" alone isnt enough to go on..ask him for the exact model number,
it will be on a tag at the rear of the machine, between the wheels.

Scot

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Scot. SHO model does exist prior to 2015. Its basically a pro series. I saw one on CL a few months back. Its looks similar to the ST824 from the 90's. It had a 10hp engine with a cast iron gear box. That one was priced at $350.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yardman,

The $1300 sounds reasonable. In fall of 2003 I paid about that much for a 2004 8524, model 924118.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure any of us can comment on the value of the machine with any degree of certainty until the exact make, model, and build year have been established. Front, Back, and side pictures are also very helpful so we can gauge the overall condition of the machine. Help us help you.:)

·
Registered
646 Posts
On 11/05/14 I paid $ 1,399 for a new platinum 24 SHO from a local dealer , set up and delivered.
Not sure if that helps you any , just tossing it out there.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Maybe it was a DLE with "High output" written on the dash. I cannot find a picture anywhere. :). Yardman. Please post pictures if you get it.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Yard man,

Just to be clear, are you looking for the original new price of that machine, or its trade-in value?

New cost could vary over a wide range - probably a bit under $1000 to close to $2000. But its current trade-in value is likely only a few hundred dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Ok, trade-in value on a 9 year old machine that a new similar machine would be in the $1300 - 1500 range?

I am thinking about 35% of current new or about $500.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, trade-in value on a 9 year old machine that a new similar machine would be in the $1300 - 1500 range?

I am thinking about 35% of current new or about $500.

Thanks, I think that this is my top for this machine. If he wants six or seven hundred, I might just go for a new Deluxe 24.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I have a 1024 Pro, maybe a year or two older than the one in your picture. My engine serial # was built in September 2000. My headlight is not integrated with the dashboard, unlike your pic.

My in-laws actually have a 1024 Pro whose headlight looks like your pic. Theirs is in much better condition than mine (I bought mine used). Merely as a reference to provide a #, their model is 924117, which may or may not be the same as the one you're considering. I think theirs might be from 2002 or so, but I don't know that for sure.

I paid $250 for mine in March of 2013, it smoked a lot when running. I (ahem, finally :eek:) figured out that its crankcase breather valve vent line was connected wrong, and was not actually venting the crankcase. I fixed that, and it ran great. I also went through and replaced worn bushings/bearings.

In May of that year, I saw a newer-model listing (headlight like yours) that was $400, and looked to be in much better condition than mine (which is rather rusty, albeit still solid). That would have been a great deal if I hadn't bought one already.

The 1024 Pro are not common models, from what I've seen. They are high power, narrow cut. That's what I was looking for, but others may want wider buckets with the same power. They are powered by Tecumseh 10hp OHV engines, 318cc. With cast-iron gearboxes and hand warmers. The other "Pro" feature that I noticed was the extra-thick skid shoes. (Edit- they also have differentials, which I really like, they make it very easy to turn)

Mine has gotten a LOT of use this winter in MA, it has done great. It's a very good machine, IMO.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Watch Craigslist, especially now approaching spring. I was watching for a long time on a regular basis and hit the jackpot. I picked up an Ariens Deluxe 28 that is 2 years old that is in MINT CONDITION. The skid shoes still have the paint on the bottom. It retailed for $1000 and I got it for $450. The owner was moving to Florida.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts