Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am writing from Ontario Canada.

I purchased an Ariens ST824 snowblower this summer for a great deal the thing hadn't been used in about 15 years from what I understand but looked like it was brand new and ran well when I went to look at it.

Upon getting it to my house I performed a full service on it changed the shear pins changed the auger oil greased every component I could clean and greased the rotator for the turret mechanism checked all electrical connections and insured that they were good and not brittle or damaged did an oil change clean the carburetor and put fresh fuel in it and put some fuel system cleaner through because there was fuel left in it when it was not in use for many years.

After all that work was done including new spark plug I started up the snow blower it ran no problem started first pull which was really impressive ran really well and had no problems so I parked it in a shed to protect it from the elements especially when it's covered in snow after use.

Anyway today was the first day I had to use it due to a large snowfall and so as usual you know check the oil make sure none had been lost while it was sitting in storage put some fresh fuel in it with fuel conditioner mixed in and gave it a prime gave her a pull and she started right up no problems clean my whole driveway clean part of my yard so the oil delivery for my furnace can get access to my oil tank and when I was finished I was just walking it back to my driveway.

I should mention part of the path I needed to clear for the oil delivery person has to go through my ditch from the street the ditch is not very deep but it is a long shallow grade and when I come back up to the street side as soon as I got back up onto the street and put the machine back level all the oil well a lot of oil just came pouring out of what looked like the bottom half of the motor I could not see where the oil had come from however that a lot of it had poured out all over the ground and all over the belly pan of the machine . I've done some Google searching and was unable to find any information about what could have caused this the only thing that I can think of is that perhaps because it was sitting for so long the gaskets were dried out and I actually ran it long enough this time to build up enough heat and pressure to help those gaskets crumble.

Any ideas with respect to what may have happened here would be super helpful I do have the owner's manual which includes troubleshooting and maintenance procedures fluid capacities and whatnot but I did not find anything with respect to what has happened here today in there thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
So, where did it come from, ?

Was there gas in it?

Could have come from a lot of places ...... you being right there would be the one to see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Was there gas in it?

Could have come from a lot of places ...... you being right there would be the one to see.
No gas in the oil

From what I can see, it looks like it came from the bottom of the motor where it sits on the orange belly (the block I guess) Ive never had a piece of yard equipment mess up enough to have to figure out all the parts... Kind of a roll with the punches approach I'll try to post some pictures I guess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Was there gas in it?

Here are some photos of the oil that poured out, and then where I saw it coming from, not sure if it was coming out of that hole behind the turret linkage bracket, there is a matching hole on the other side.
Wood Grey Road surface Twig Asphalt

Vertebrate Automotive tire Mammal Grey Road surface

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Wood Paint Vehicle door Bumper Hood

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Orange Bumper

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Grey Tints and shades Concrete Pattern Plaster

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to say, that's the oil drain ..... If you ran it without oil, probably did some engine damage .... Does not take long.
If you're referring to the oil drain tube, it did not leak from there. It leaked from here.
And also as soon as I saw oil on the ground I shut the machine off. And it just kept flowing out

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
But, I don't see any residue of fresh oil coming out of either drain. Use the oil dipstick to see if there is and oil in the engine. Try pouring some oil in the dipstick to see if it immediately comes out of a drain hole. You may have not tightened the drain plug tight enough, and it worked it's way out. Do not run the engine until you can get it to hold the correct amount of oil, as indicated on the dipstick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But, I don't see any residue of fresh oil coming out of either drain. Use the oil dipstick to see if there is and oil in the engine. Try pouring some oil in the dipstick to see if it immediately comes out of a drain hole. You may have not tightened the drain plug tight enough, and it worked it's way out. Do not run the engine until you can get it to hold the correct amount of oil, as indicated on the dipstick.
When I went out to use it earlier I checked oil level, it was to the full mark, so I started it up, allowed it warm up and then shut it down to check oil again. Still at full. No leaks when operating, ran it without losing a drip for an hour doing my driveway, then down through the ditch and as soon as I got back up onto the road it all just spewed out from that corner, and stated to idle very rough and I shut it off right away. And waiting for the oil to stop leaking out and then I pushed it back to my little trip shed. I guess I will have to bring it to work and year it down. Might as well, can check belts and drive/auger plates while I'm in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And currently there is just a smidge on the end of the dipstick

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
The hole on the base of the engine is not threaded, so it probably isn't an actual drain hole.
When you were going in and out of the ditch, maybe you had the machine tilted enough, that oil was blowing out the breather tube located directly above the oily area on the side of the engine it is hidden by the heater box..

There appears to be a circular area in the oil residue just left of the hole in the base, which would be right below the vent tube and if it was spewing from the vent it would have landed around that area.

Motor vehicle Orange Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Automotive tire Snow Grey Bicycle chain Rim

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The hole on the base of the engine is not threaded, so it probably isn't an actual drain hole.
When you were going in and out of the ditch, maybe you had the machine tilted enough, that oil was blowing out the breather tube located directly above the oily area on the side of the engine it is hidden by the heater box..

There appears to be a circular area in the oil residue just left of the hole in the base, which would be right below the vent tube and if it was spewing from the vent it would have landed around that area.

View attachment 186416

View attachment 186423
I saw that tube, and wondered if that's where the oil came from. Maybe I'll refill the oil tomorrow and try the machine again, see if it leaks whatever might be left in the breather. It was definitely tilted back around 30 degrees-ish.

However I didn't think that would do any harm, because last year I had a yarkworks machine and did it all the time without issue (until the shroud fell apart 😅).

Great observation. Ill check that out. I also wondered about that circular area

1 - 20 of 30 Posts