Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year with my Platinum 24 SHO. Got it off of FBM at the end of last season. Gave it a new NGK plug, synthetic oil, cleaned up inside the gearbox and lubed things up, some anti-seize on the axles, and drained the tank and fed it some zero ethanol fuel. Bring on the snow!
Plant Automotive tire Mower Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
809 Posts
If the last couple winters are any indication of snowfall to come this year in New England, the little single stage machine (Toro or MTD ???) tucked off to the left in your shed will probably see the majority of service time. Think I've used my HS928 maybe once in the last 3 years. Spend more time dusting it than using it. Wife calls it the "shed queen".

Reactions: Davejb

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the last couple winters are any indication of snowfall to come this year in New England, the little single stage machine (Toro or MTD ???) tucked off to the left in your shed will probably see the majority of service time. Think I've used my HS928 maybe once in the last 3 years. Spend more time dusting it than using it. Wife calls it the "shed queen".
Toro, and you might be right, but I hope not. We're overdue for some decent snowfall. The last good pounding we got was the 3 Nor' Easters in 3 weeks during the 2017/18 season.

·
Registered
866 Posts
A small machine is nice to have but so is a larger one for the odd times you really need it. For the most part I can get by with a snow shovel and a leaf blower but the snowblower, that might only get used once a year, is nice to have too. Nice find.

Reactions: Davejb

·
Registered
184 Posts
This will be my first year with my Platinum 24 SHO. Got it off of FBM at the end of last season. Gave it a new NGK plug, synthetic oil, cleaned up inside the gearbox and lubed things up, some anti-seize on the axles, and drained the tank and fed it some zero ethanol fuel. Bring on the snow!
View attachment 199183
Hi Dave,
You new machine looks cherry! You’re going to love the power and features. Glad you showed the inside of the belly pan area as some guys complain about rust here, but I’ve never had a problem with my 2019. Glad you got the model with the carb as now it’s user serviceable if something goes wrong. Here’s a link to my channel so you can watch one at work until the snow flies and you can get out there with yours
Remember, fear no blizzard with an Ariens in your garage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm already subscribed to your YT Smokie! The previous owner stated very little use, it was a backup for their tractor. No rust inside the pan but oddly I had a hell of a time getting 2 of the lower pan screws to thread in, I think the nut inserts were bent funny. Carb was a must for me, didn't want to deal with the complications of the EFI.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm already subscribed to your YT Smokie! The previous owner stated very little use, it was a backup for their tractor. No rust inside the pan but oddly I had a hell of a time getting 2 of the lower pan screws to thread in, I think the nut inserts were bent funny. Carb was a must for me, didn't want to deal with the complications of the EFI.
Yah those threaded clips on the belly pan can be a bugger. I always turn the screw backwards until I feel it drop, then it usually catches the thread. In your case the previous owner may have cross threaded them. I think it would be a good idea to keep a couple of those clips on hand. My old toro, & Simplicity are way easier to get the belly pan bolts to thread on. I don’t know why. Was it more expensive to thread the pan itself, were the clips cheaper to use, or maybe was a cross treaded bolt into sheet metal difficult to repair? All I know is they encourage u to do preventative maintenance (rightly so), and they add an extension on the oil drain to make oil changes easier….brilliant! However they make the belly pan a PIA to bolt back on? Some engineer at Ariens has got to use/own one of these machines and do his/her own maintenance and say hey…we can come up with a way to make this easier for our customers. The customers will be more likely do the routine maintenance because of this, they will have less problems, and they’ll be more satisfied, and we’ll sell more machines! Everyone wins.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm gonna get some replacements, I'll try to bend the old ones into submission when I do my maintenance in the spring but want some on hand in case they break. Not sure if Lowes or HD would stock something like those, the Ariens part is 2+ bucks a pop before shipping (Ariens 07009000 - Nut Rtnr .25 20x.56), can't seem to find a generic replacement although I know they exist, may not be searching correctly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Oneacer, couldn't find them to save my life. Website shows my Lowes has them in stock, which means there's a 50/50 chance they actually have them, and a 20/80 chance that they're in the isle the app says they're in...

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
They should be in the hardware isle, in the pull-out specialty drawer section ... I bought some from my Lowes awhile back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
They should be in the hardware isle, in the pull-out specialty drawer section ... I bought some from my Lowes awhile back.
Thanks Oneacer for sharing, I was going to stop by my dealer and grab a couple to have them on hand so eventually when I strip one I have a couple. For the life of me I can’t understand why they don’t have a better set up for this? I know guys that skip taking the belly pan off their Ariens because they get so frustrated trying to successfully retread these bolts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts