Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yard Machines (mtd) 5horse 22" snow blower. I took the machine out to clean my driveway after the blizzard we had in NH yesterday, it was working fine and then suddenly it stopped throwing snow. Took off the belt gaurd and the auger belt had come off. I took the bottom cover off and found a giant mouse nest but the belt was fine not broken or severely worn. I put it back on and put the covers back on the machine worked fine. All of a sudden the blower started rattling and the belt came off again and was broken this time. Does anyone know why and how I can make sure this doesn't happen again. I have orderd a new belt and don't want to break this one too.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from the Keystone state.
You need to get in there and check around for any looose parts such as idler pulleys, springs, etc. Check shafts for any play or loosness. Go over everything. That's a fairly simple, uncomplicated machine. Make sure everything is moving freely as it is supposed to.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum, on the face it would likely seem the belt was in rough shape to start with maybe the mice had a partial lunch:mad:
You should also verify if there is slack in the pulley and the tensioner.
For now this is all I can tell to this point. Good Luck

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from the Keystone state.
You need to get in there and check around for any looose parts such as idler pulleys, springs, etc. Check shafts for any play or loosness. Go over everything. That's a fairly simple, uncomplicated machine. Make sure everything is moving freely as it is supposed to.
Let us know what you find.
+1 on what Micah said and look also for proper alignment of pulleys and tensioner, eyeball then from the side of the machine, make sure they don't look misaligned. :cool: also squeeze down on that handle while you are eyeballing it make sure they do not move out of alignment as you squeeze the handle. I have seen that happen on my friend's simplicity

1 - 5 of 5 Posts