Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Murray 24 in (model # F2484-020) snowblower. A new auger belt was installed this year to replace one that was worn. Sometimes, when I engage the auger, the belt hops off the sheaves. I have checked the guides and belt tensioner. It hopes only upon engagement.

Any ideas on my problem?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
does it come off the large bottom pulley or the engine pulley?

can you take a pic with the belt cover off of it engaged and not engaged?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Make sure the top and bottom pulleys are aligned in the same plane and also make sure they are tight and not sliding back and forth. It could be the new belt is too loose or one of the guides is bent back too far.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The issue appears to be the new belt, since that is all you changed. If it can't be adjusted to perform properly, and you aren't suffering from a cocked idler arm lever or a worn idler bushing, you may have to go with a smaller belt. MH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does it come off the large bottom pulley or the engine pulley?

can you take a pic with the belt cover off of it engaged and not engaged?
It will be hard to obtain a picture that will tell anything.

The hop-off always occurs when I engage the auger to the engine. It does not disengage during plowing. The disengaged belt is always off the auger (larger) sheave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue appears to be the new belt, since that is all you changed. If it can't be adjusted to perform properly, and you aren't suffering from a cocked idler arm lever or a worn idler bushing, you may have to go with a smaller belt. MH
I suspect the new belt which is a Murray branded belt. I noticed that the new belt did not sit in the "V" as well as the older (worn out) belt. Could it be that I have a bum belt?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Under the larger auger pulley, sits two support post to prevent the belt from leaving the V in the pulley. When replacing a belt one must bend these back slightly to insert the new belt. It is important to reform these post to the original positions. Their task is to prevent the belt from dropping down when the idler tightener is off. This gives enough slack to save wear on the belt when not running the blower. You should have no issues if your belt is the correct length, the alignment is good and you adjusted your idler properly after a new belt was installed. The idler pulley itself can be adjusted inward by loosening the bolt, in for a worn belt for instance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Under the larger auger pulley, sits two support post to prevent the belt from leaving the V in the pulley. When replacing a belt one must bend these back slightly to insert the new belt. It is important to reform these post to the original positions. Their task is to prevent the belt from dropping down when the idler tightener is off. This gives enough slack to save wear on the belt when not running the blower. You should have no issues if your belt is the correct length, the alignment is good and you adjusted your idler properly after a new belt was installed. The idler pulley itself can be adjusted inward by loosening the bolt, in for a worn belt for instance.
The idler pulley is set right based on the deflection.

The two bottom posts are a different issue. From your description, these posts should be on the bottom plate. I have never seen these posts. But I can tell you that the belt can be installed from the top by slipping it over the lower (larger) pulley and then slipping it over the drive pulley. If these posts were there, they should interfere with the install as I have described.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Murray

Hi All
I just today bought the exact Murray blower for $40. could not resist. The starter is worth 40bucks. Anyway does anybody know about year it is. It looks pretty good considering it probably spent a lot of time outside.
Sid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts