Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my auger belt self destructed again. It's my third belt in two years. That seems excessive to me.

The belt that was on my machine (belt age unknown) lasted a few winters before giving up. It may have been many years old, I can't possibly know.

I replaced it with another from a repair shop, right belt number, brand unknown. Went through the rest of the winter then snapped last winter on very first blowing session.

Bought a replacement from a hardware store, different brand, brownish color instead of black. Lasted all last winter, then failed yesterday. It didn't snap, it kinda disintegrated. Yet on pre-season checkup it seemed fine, only slight wear visible.

I'm far from an expert, but it looks adjusted correctly according to the manual.

What could cause this ?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Pulley bearing beginning to seize so extra resistance, pulleys are out of alignment, looseness in the same area aka wobble, auger bearing or impeller bearing beginning stages of failure, same with gearcase, deglaze the pulleys with sandpaper, they could be shiny causing belt slippage, excess wear in the pulleys, are they aluminium, steel, or cast iron, belt is slightly too long causing minor slippage but enough for the belt to heat up, try Kevlar belts, Pix or D&D Power belts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Pulley bearing beginning to seize so extra resistance, pulleys are out of alignment, looseness in the same area aka wobble, auger bearing or impeller bearing beginning stages of failure, same with gearcase, deglaze the pulleys with sandpaper, they could be shiny causing belt slippage, excess wear in the pulleys, are they aluminium, steel, or cast iron, belt is slightly too long causing minor slippage but enough for the belt to heat up, try Kevlar belts, Pix or D&D Power belts
:smiley-signs009:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the same belts on machines for many, many years ... I use the Gates PoweRated Green V-belt ones.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
On my old Honda HS80, I got about 28 years out of the original belts, and 2 more years out of the replacements before other issues arose. Those replacements are still fine now after 4 years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys. I don't really know how to check the bearings, but I don't notice any wobble if running without the plastic cover.

I'll order some better belts. I found my belt's Gates number and found out that I can order it on Rockauto. In fact, I can order TWO belts, add shipping and it's only 2$ more than a no name belt in Canada :\

1 - 6 of 6 Posts