Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my auger out of my troy built 2 stage snowblower . Now i took off the augers and gear box but the worm gear does not move, i see a small square keyway flush to the inside of the worm gear against the shaft. Do i have to punch that out with something to slide the gear down the shaft. Anyone have and ideas what to use as it is pretty small. thanks

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Off the top of my head, if you see a square piece against the inside if the gear and shaft, that is what they call a key way. The key (small square metal piece) is made of soft metal and is intended to shear so it keeps from damaging the engine or the gear itself. Usually the gear would be tightened with some sort of set screws. Ill research when I have time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gear Box

I finally got my auger out of my troy built 2 stage snowblower . Now i took off the augers and gear box but the worm gear does not move, i see a small square keyway flush to the inside of the worm gear against the shaft. Do i have to punch that out with something to slide the gear down the shaft. Anyone have and ideas what to use as it is pretty small. thanks

You can watch a couple of great videos on repairing a snowblower gear box on this page

Lawn mower Snowblower Chainsaw Parts moncton new brunswick canada

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, got it off now just waiting for new one to come in. Another quick question is , it looked like grease inside the case but i hear some people using 90 weight gear oil. Just wondering which is right. There is no grease fitting but just a little blue cap on top of the case and a hole.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Some use grease and some use gear oil. Try looking up the manual for your machine and see what it says or just go back with whatever was in there before assuming no one messed with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts