Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what to use in my Auger Gear Box. My maintenance manual does not mention if Oil is used, or Grease. What products does everyone on hear use? I have seen people pack them with Grease as well as use Oil, probably depending on the machine. It also does not mention at what level to fill the Gear box if using Oil. I have a 2017 Briggs & Stratton 27"

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
My routine at the beginning of the season is to squirt in some motor oil. I've never had a gearbox failure.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I would hold off on using motor oil there, COWBOY!!!!!! what is in there now????? if I would have to take a shot in the dark here. 80-90 non syn gear oil. leave the machine level and pump it in there till it runs clean oot the hole. if grease is used then use ride the white lightning lithium grease. like I said in screw the plug in the front and have a good looksee to see what comes oot. or what is still in there.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Yes, gear oil is the way to go. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, checking your auger gear box for lub should be an absolute must on your maintenance list. I lost a gear box once on my Bolens which was ran dry. I do not believe it had ever been lubricated prior to failure.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You need to post what it is you're working on to get the right info. Going to the B&S site to try and look it up they are asking for model and serial number. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

Engine oil is better than nothing but it may not provide enough protection for a gearboxes longevity. Some of us have machines that have been moving snow since the late 60's and early 70's and that's due the the robust nature of their construction and good maintenance. I can't say what's in that B&S gearbox but rather than just saying I use "X" and it hasn't failed yet I'd rather look up what is supposed to be in there to make sure it doesn't fail.

If I had to just pick something out of the air I'd go with 00 grease. Have you tired to remove the plug and use something to dip in there to see what you have ??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Checking with my local John Deere mechanic, his advice is, if the snowblower has an aluminum gear case it uses grease, if it's cast iron it uses 85w oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would hold off on using motor oil there, COWBOY!!!!!! what is in there now????? if I would have to take a shot in the dark here. 80-90 non syn gear oil. leave the machine level and pump it in there till it runs clean oot the hole. if grease is used then use ride the white lightning lithium grease. like I said in screw the plug in the front and have a good looksee to see what comes oot. or what is still in there.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

I don't plan on using motor oil, I will have to see what's in there now. Gear oil seems to be the correct answer. Ill have to take a look in the maintenance manual again, but I looked a few times and did not see any mention about the Auger Gear Box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, gear oil is the way to go. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, checking your auger gear box for lub should be an absolute must on your maintenance list. I lost a gear box once on my Bolens which was ran dry. I do not believe it had ever been lubricated prior to failure.
I would agree on the importance of this too, but seems not to be mentioned in the book, ill check a 3rd time!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to post what it is you're working on to get the right info. Going to the B&S site to try and look it up they are asking for model and serial number. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

Engine oil is better than nothing but it may not provide enough protection for a gearboxes longevity. Some of us have machines that have been moving snow since the late 60's and early 70's and that's due the the robust nature of their construction and good maintenance. I can't say what's in that B&S gearbox but rather than just saying I use "X" and it hasn't failed yet I'd rather look up what is supposed to be in there to make sure it doesn't fail.

If I had to just pick something out of the air I'd go with 00 grease. Have you tired to remove the plug and use something to dip in there to see what you have ??

Thanks for the response

·
Banned
474 Posts
I don't plan on using motor oil, I will have to see what's in there now. Gear oil seems to be the correct answer. Ill have to take a look in the maintenance manual again, but I looked a few times and did not see any mention about the Auger Gear Box.
Gear oil is the old school lube and is usually found in HD components that had actual bearings instead of bushings. The lube du jour on your Briggs machine for an original fill would likely be Lubriplate GR132.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many older cast iron auger gear boxes, such as the AMF & Gilson units I'm familiar with, call for SAE 30 motor oil. Standard 80W-90 gear oil is going to be very thick at winter temperatures.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Checking with my local John Deere mechanic, his advice is, if the snowblower has an aluminum gear case it uses grease, if it's cast iron it uses 85w oil.
controversy there. not all cast alloy auger's use grease, many use gear oil.
toro for a example states in the manual for it's alloy case for at least the last close to 30 plus years

"AUGER GEARBOX REPAIR
Lubrication
The proper lubricant is 90-weight gear oil. A multi-weight
such as 85-120 is acceptable as long as it encompasses
the 90-weight rating. The oil must also have an extreme
pressure (EP) rating of GL5 or higher. With the gearbox
setting approximately level, fi ll until oil runs out of the fi ll/
check plug. Total capacity is about 4 oz. (118ml).

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If it's gear oil, 75w-90w, I use ONLY synthetic as it is thick but moves more freely when cold, doesn't quite thicken, parts roll better due to less friction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
controversy there. not all cast alloy auger's use grease, many use gear oil.
toro for a example states in the manual for it's alloy case for at least the last close to 30 plus years

"AUGER GEARBOX REPAIR
Lubrication
The proper lubricant is 90-weight gear oil. A multi-weight
such as 85-120 is acceptable as long as it encompasses
the 90-weight rating. The oil must also have an extreme
pressure (EP) rating of GL5 or higher. With the gearbox
setting approximately level, fi ll until oil runs out of the fi ll/
check plug. Total capacity is about 4 oz. (118ml).
Thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts