Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I also use the "00" Grease, which is in a quart bottle and squeezes out easily, in my aluminum Auger Clam Shell style cases.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Some call for grease vs oil, so use whatever is reccomended by that manufacturer. If you do go the route of grease, make sure it is synthetic but otherwise meets the specs. Same goes for whatever oil you use. Synthetic is the way to go. I run synthetic crankcase oil in all of my machines now, with the older flat tapped cam ones getting a little big of ZDP additive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some call for grease vs oil, so use whatever is reccomended by that manufacturer. If you do go the route of grease, make sure it is synthetic but otherwise meets the specs. Same goes for whatever oil you use. Synthetic is the way to go. I run synthetic crankcase oil in all of my machines now, with the older flat tapped cam ones getting a little big of ZDP additive.
Thanks,

My MTD recommends grease, so my question is, is the grease in my link suitable?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, use the 00 grease as others have told you a couple of times above.
it basically is 00 grease,

its made by the same company Stens, and it states its intended for use in "gear boxes"

why would it not be able to do the job?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
....go down to yer local JD dealer and get a tube of corn head grease .....dilemma solved ! 😉

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
it basically is 00 grease, its made by the same company Stens, and it states its intended for use in "gear boxes" why would it not be able to do the job?
So, I'm puzzled; you've asked the forum members what they suggest for your application and three of us have stated "00 Grease". The product you keep asking about is for "chainsaw sprockets and trimmer heads and unspecified "gear boxes", the former of which are much lighter duty applications than a snowblower auger gearcase. It may work, but in the forum members' experience, "00" works well, so why deviate from that advice? Semi-fluid greases such as NLGI #000 or #00 are recommended for small gearboxes that frequently are run to fail. This strategy simplifies maintenance practices by reducing the chance of a leak and the need to top up components. MTD's own branded grease for their gearboxes is EP-00 (part number 7370168A).

Perhaps ask Stens or American Lubricating Co. of Memphis (the actual manufacturer) if they would recommend EP-0 for your specific application? They also make EP-00 grease: Amazon.com : Oregon 49-010 00 Grease : Lawn Mower Parts : Garden & Outdoor

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, I'm puzzled; you've asked the forum members what they suggest for your application and three of us have stated "00 Grease".
the place i buy my parts from, which is very reputable, sells and recommends the grease in my link to be used in auger gearboxes,

i don't think they would be recommending a product to their millions of customers that was not suitable,

grease is new too me, i am old school, and have been using gear oil in my auger gear boxes my entire life,

i have never had an auger gear box problem or failure, so maybe i should just continue using what has always worked for me??????

This is probably a case of overthinking things, in reality, as long as there is some form of lubricant in there, and it never runs dry, you are unlikely to have a problem

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I'm puzzled; you've asked the forum members what they suggest for your application and three of us have stated "00 Grease". The product you keep asking about is for "chainsaw sprockets and trimmer heads and unspecified "gear boxes", the former of which are much lighter duty applications than a snowblower auger gearcase. It may work, but in the forum members' experience, "00" works well, so why deviate from that advice? Semi-fluid greases such as NLGI #000 or #00 are recommended for small gearboxes that frequently are run to fail. This strategy simplifies maintenance practices by reducing the chance of a leak and the need to top up components. MTD's own branded grease for their gearboxes is EP-00 (part number 7370168A).

Perhaps ask Stens or American Lubricating Co. of Memphis (the actual manufacturer) if they would recommend EP-0 for your specific application? They also make EP-00 grease: Amazon.com : Oregon 49-010 00 Grease : Lawn Mower Parts : Garden & Outdoor
Well turns out all this grease discussion has become a moot point,

They ended up shipping me the exact same "00" grease that is in your link....so I will use that, thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so MTD states to use 2 ounces of grease, and says DO NOT overfill

this tube is 9 ounces, anybody have any ideas how i can measure how much i am putting in?

i wont even be able to see how much is coming out when i squirt it in the hole (sorry that wording sounds really bad....lol)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts