Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I posted in here before but didn't have a photo. Now I have the photo to go along with the problem.

Older Craftsman, 22"

Auger shaft is slipping out of the plastic bushing (slips out of both...but not at the same time). The plastic bushing I'm talking about is connect the the metal snowblower housing by three bolts. The shaft just sits in there and spins. I have tried pushing the metal housing in and making the gap smaller but that doesn't work. The problem is only when I get into the deeper heavier snow.
Photo shows the shaft in the bushing.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
it looks to me that you will have to rebuild the whole front end of that unit. parts are wearing out in there.:eek::eek::eek::eek: ALOHA TO THE FORMS..:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Or go with my idea. Drill and tap a hole outside of the front scoop and run a bolt and large washer into the side of the case. It will never come out again. :)

Did you pull the auger assembly out when you attempted to push the sides back in? There will be some spring back so you will need to push them in much further than what the final shape will be.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Could the auger shaft be bent?

·
Registered
279 Posts
How snug does the shaft sit in the plastic bushings? If there is considerable play you may be able to find a piece of brass or copper pipe that will fit over the shaft and in the plastic bushing. You might even check for PVC. I would avoid steel as it might rust to the shaft.

·
Super Moderator
2,680 Posts
Bushings

If the bushings are worn, replace them. If they're good you might consider shimming the bushings a little to move them a little closer towards the center of the housing. IIRC that housing does not have a hole through the side for the shaft to be accessed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts