Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't understand why a synthetic would leak but not a regular oil. I thought it was always better.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
It lubricates better but it does tend to leak if the seals aren't in really good shape. Some of the same properties that allow it to flow easier and account for less friction can work against it as far as not leaking past a seal. The seal needs friction with the shaft to seal properly and synthetic tries to lessen that friction. That's over simplified but it's the best I can do to try and explain.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That makes sense. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
Lube

So much for Sears customer support. I sent them an email requesting the proper fluid to use in the gear case and this is the reply:
Josh_S, December 03, 2014

Thanks for the inquiry and for being a valued member.

Originally, I think the gearbox had 80W90 gear oil. You can use any axle grease in the gearbox. I prefer White Lithium Grease. It seems to do better in the cold temperatures.

I hope this helps and thanks for using SearsPartsDirect.com. We appreciate your business.

I was expecting a reply that said XXXX is the recommended fluid/grease and not "I think" and "I prefer".
Due to the temperatures a snow blower operates in I would stick with the 80W90 or 00 grease as actual grease in my opinion is too thick and won't flow. Like Shryp pointed out that it gets pushed to the side. 00 won't do that as it's too fluid.
I do like Mobil 1 synthetic for a lot of lubricating purposes but the gear case isn't one of them. That's my 2 cents.
Here's a word to the wise on gear lube: do your research prior to just putting some in the gearcase. Right at the moment I can't remember the exact name it's called but some of the newest grades of gear lube will actually attack bronze gears and bushings. I think it was something like de-sulphurized and was API Gl-5 spec lub, IIRC API GL4 lube didn't attack bronze parts). Kind of like the DOT3 vs DOT4 brake fluids, may be newer but there can be downsides to it.

I found this out when I was working on my wood planer, which does use gear lube the the transmission on it. I happened to stumble on this issue and during my research found that Valvoline has a grade of this that's been de-whatever-its-called so it does not attack bronze.

Do your own research before adding any gearlube to an auger gearbox to avoid future issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do I go about replacing this black plastic spacer on the auger shaft of my Craftsman (247.88830) ? Shown in pic with hose clamp around it. :confused:
Just finished replacing an auger shaft spacer. It's about 30 minutes to take off the housing and properly replace the spacer. I read some think the spacers aren't really needed. Looking at it the spacers keep the auger blade flange bushing in place. Without it the bushing could displace, and the auger blade would bang around and make trouble. Do it right, otherwise it will be more expensive to do it over.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts