Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering snowblowers for a while now and like a lot of what is being said about the Ariens models. When I recently looked at a few models at my local Lowe’s store, I noticed the Ariens models on the floor had rust around what looked like mediocre spot welds where the augers attach to the posts that come off the shaft. This looked like a source of trouble to me. I noticed the Troy Bilt’s had different augers that were solid with no welds. What’s the difference between the two types in reliability and performance and should I be concerned with those welds?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would take an ariens over a troybilt anyday. For performance and reliability its gonna depend on the models your looking at but as always you get what you pay for.. The only time I see augers broken is when you hit something with no give like a stump or stair. We change more troybilt (mtd) augers then we do ariens.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I agree with the Ariens over Troybilt. As far as the Augers Go, I do More Ariens Augers than Anything else-(924 series and later). The 10000 series are Rugged Gearboxes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with the Ariens over Troybilt. As far as the Augers Go, I do More Ariens Augers than Anything else-(924 series and later). The 10000 series are Rugged Gearboxes.

The 924 series is old and I take it your talking about the aluminum gearbox after it. The op was talking about the new model with the cast iron case. I have not had to rebuild any of them. I'm sure you know this but if the op or someone else reading assumes your talking about the new ariens gearbox as if its somehow weak they will be miss informed. The one good thing about the troybilt setup is you can bend the augers back into shape easy if your into doing that haha.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I wasn't aware Troybilts/MTD are using Cast Iron Cases, as I haven't Seen One Yet. I posted the Photo of the Gear For Clarification of the Type I Fix Regularly, using Discontinued Gear 524026. Fits 1978 through 2000's

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wasn't aware Troybilts/MTD are using Cast Iron Cases, as I haven't Seen One Yet. I posted the Photo of the Gear For Clarification of the Type I Fix Regularly, using Discontinued Gear 524026.
I was talking about the ariens cast iron gearbox. I reread your first post I see you meant change augers the gear pic made me think you meant you rebuilt the gearbox all the time. I agree the ariens augers are a lot harder to bend back so you have to change vs rebend.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
When I said Augers, I was Referring to Gearboxes, not Rakes. I rebuild Gearboxes all the Time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts