Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have watched enough video good and bad on this to really make me question it. I have seen the Ariens video on how to align the blower housing and the tractor. I have read how important the exact same tire pressure is. I have seen videos of people trying to clean 6" of snow on one side of the blower and it wants to turn like clearing the edge of the road. I watched a guy that's machine would turn when one side of the blower housing ran into compacted snow on the driveway. Then I saw a few cut away videos showing the metal ridged plates slipping over each other making that clicking noise when it is turning. I would think s the metal rounds over from wear the auto turn would become even easer to turn due to less resistance the more it is used. Am I way off base? I am looking for a 24" blower and that is the only item that worries me with Ariens. I know I will run into these obstacles and don't want to fight the thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm with you on this one. Have a neighbor that has an auto turn and it's not the best looking product. I chose a Husqvarna over Ariens because of the steering set up. I would rather control my
Machine myself. I'll let you know how the Husqvarna.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ducky, you are a bit off base. I've had three Ariens with AutoTurn. While not perfect, it's quite a nice feature assuming you're on a paved and fairly flat surface. FWIW, the Ariens can literally turn on a dime. It's effortless and that makes running the machine by a smaller person/wife a realistic proposition.

You're best bet would be to try and run a machine at a dealer when you get your first snow.

Two tips in addition to having the housing squared up and uniform tire pressures: Ariens poly skids or the Armor Skids :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a deluxe 28 with autoturn and used it last winter with no problems.Even doing paths in the yard to the woodpile and birdfeeders.Grabs a bit on the grass but very controlable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last year I got a 28” Hydro Pro Track with auto turn and there was a very odd development. The Wife actually argued with me twice that it was “her turn” to go out and blow snow. Auto turn works so well that even people who don’t like blowing snow will have fun with it. In spite of weighing over 300 lbs. that machine can be operated and turned with nothing but fingertips after you get used to it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I experienced the same issue last snow season, sort of. You see I have a 34 year old son who lives here and I always made him go out and fight with the trigger-steered Husqvarna 10530SBE I had.

Once I got the Ariens Platinum 30 with Autoturn, I found myself running out there to use the awesome machine before he could get dressed. Works FINE.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As some of the members stated above it works very well in most situations and any potential issues can usually be remedied by using the Ariens poly skids or ARMORskid shoes. I am happy with not having to fumble with triggers (another potential service item). I have read on another forum that Toro is also using this differential system on some of their smaller 2 stage machines, they seem to be keeping it on the down low probably because Auto Turn is somewhat controversial. I attached the manufacturer's link.

DI 300 | General Transmissions

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey Cardo111, thanks for the link to General transmissions. From exploring the site looks like they make the gear transmissions for Snapper and Simplicity, (Briggs & Stratton) snowblowers.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Clicked on the "Element V" link on the General Transmissions site. I think this is the transmission in the new Toro Snowmaster. Very impressive unit. Perhaps all the Toro 2 stage lineup will go with the Element V transmissions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have to consider that Ariens sells a LOT of snowblowers. They have a huge "installed base", and the reason I shopped them after owning a 2005/2006 Husqvarna (AYP made) machine. I became aware in reading reviews just how many new Ariens were going to people who had just gifted their 20-30 year old Ariens to a kid who had just bought a home, or similar situations. What I mean is they have a long-lived product and I assume they aim to protect that reputation for future sales.

This is why I believe they've got a good product with Autoturn with a lot of development and testing behind it. My experience bears it out that Autoturn works fine, and I haven't even put the plastic skids on the machine yet. We'll see what history develops for its longevity, but I'm not concerned even if they change it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Last year I got a 28” Hydro Pro Track with auto turn and there was a very odd development. The Wife actually argued with me twice that it was “her turn” to go out and blow snow. Auto turn works so well that even people who don’t like blowing snow will have fun with it. In spite of weighing over 300 lbs. that machine can be operated and turned with nothing but fingertips after you get used to it.
Was thinking about this unit. Is your driveway flat? I have a steep hill and uneven sidewalks. Don't want to wrestle it. Still would like the 420cc over the 2016 honda models.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Cardo111, thanks for the link to General transmissions. From exploring the site looks like they make the gear transmissions for Snapper and Simplicity, (Briggs & Stratton) snowblowers.
Sure thank you. I got the same impression after going on their site, that they are making the transmissions for B&S' products. I am not sure if they are still being re-badged as Snapper's this year. I have not seen snowblowers on Snapper's website this year, maybe it is the device I am using.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Was thinking about this unit. Is your driveway flat? I have a steep hill and uneven sidewalks. Don't want to wrestle it. Still would like the 420cc over the 2016 honda models.
I am a big fan of Ariens however if your budget allows you won't regret buying a Honda track machine especially now with the easier steering system. Even if the Honda engine is smaller it is very well engineered and will likely give you all the power you will need.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I just changed the subject line of this thread from:

Auto Turn-Help me understand how this is not a disaster

to:

Auto Turn, Help me understand...

Since its pretty clear auto turn is not actually a disaster! ;)
which makes the subject line somewhat misleading, as it was..

Scot

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Scott
I respect your opinion, but question this as the proper moderator thing to do.
I don't own an auto-turn machine.
So if the title read.

Ariens auto-turn. When one wheel senses resistance, and it simply slips internally and stops rotating, does this ever cause problems?

Would that have been reasonable enough title to not need censorship?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just changed the subject line of this thread from:

Auto Turn-Help me understand how this is not a disaster

to:

Auto Turn, Help me understand...

Since its pretty clear auto turn is not actually a disaster! ;)
which makes the subject line somewhat misleading, as it was..

Scot
Scot, I must say I completely disagree with you changing the name of my post. I understand the comments made by others and that you clearly state auto turn is not a disaster. So I asked the question how it's not a disaster, how does it act when cleaning 6" of frozen snow on the edge of the drive. Or how does it act on packed snow. I have read that it turns. If my vehicle was next to it and it turned into it what would that be described as? Obviously not a disaster............That is my only negative I see with the machine. But those question haven't been answered have they, I have been told I'm off base......ok, help me understAnd then. Some say it isn't as bad as I made it out to be. Ok. Others said I need to change the skids? I think I want an Ariens but not if it isn't predictable. I also was told look at the numbers of machines they sell they can't be bad. I'll use the McDonalds Hamburg analogy, they sell more than anyone else however I know I can find a better one. We can agree to disagree but I want to give you my feelings on this. Do I need to put my kid gloves on and step carefully when I ask a question here? I have another question too, I noticed the Platinum 24 SHO from last year to this year have a different engine, what's the scoop? I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So i must say I am disappointed that my post is viewed this way. Answers not really given just ruffled feathers. If I am snow blowing next to my company vehicle, I hit a piece of compacted snow and my machine turns into the side of the vehicle? How would this be described.....obviously not a disaster....... Maybe less than desirable would be better. I asked the question to get answers....... Help me understand this auto turn, if I have it wrong please set me straight with the facts. I really like the Platinum, FYI......I just don't want to buy a machine like this not understanding what I'm getting. I guess Going forward I will church up all my Ariens questions in the future so I don't hurt others tender ears.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts