Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Agreed with the previous Auto-Turn design. I prefer the weight on the bucket, it helps with the plow pile. Good idea with the wheels on your older machine. Nice 60" flat screen as well, caught that in the background. We are supposed to get a little snow here today, hopefully will be enough to use the blower.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
If the change in balance was to reduce the front end catching on stuff and confusing the Autoturn, I wonder if rollerblade wheels might be very helpful with Autoturn.

Most discussions I've seen have focused around poly skids, etc, rather than going to wheels.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If the change in balance was to reduce the front end catching on stuff and confusing the Autoturn, I wonder if rollerblade wheels might be very helpful with Autoturn.

Most discussions I've seen have focused around poly skids, etc, rather than going to wheels.
You're right when people have had issues with Auto-Turn catching, Ariens Poly Skids and ArmorSkids often remedied the problem.

1132le added the roller blade wheels to an older machine pre-Auto Turn.

There is a member on here that did fabricate wheel bearings integrated into his regular Ariens steel skid shoes (mounted in the center of the steel shoes) and is very happy with the result.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I know he put them on an older machine.

But it would be interesting to learn if they offered a larger benefit than even poly skids, on an AT blower.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know he put them on an older machine.

But it would be interesting to learn if they offered a larger benefit than even poly skids, on an AT blower.
Understood. I misread your original post. You can ask Arienshydropro36 aka Bob, I'm pretty sure he added them to his 1st Gen Auto-Turn DELUXE OR Platinum 30 and was hapy with the result.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to see a scale under the scrapper bar on each machine to see just how much weight is there,
Took 3 reading from each and used the avg reading i used a digital scale
scale was put on the same place on both scrapers
st824 25 lbs

28 plus 66 lbs

never would think it would be that much
which makes me question it
its much harder to pull the new blower up by the front of the bucket to slip the scale under it

·
Registered
485 Posts
Took 3 reading from each and used the avg reading i used a digital scale
scale was put on the same place on both scrapers
st824 25 lbs

28 plus 66 lbs

never would think it would be that much
which makes me question it
its much harder to pull the new blower up by the front of the bucket to slip the scale under it
Thanks for the measurement! I saw a guy do this measurement with a Toro PowerShift on YouTube, the difference is surprising but when you think about it makes sense. I'm sure you'll appreciate it in real time use.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I've also wondered about the difference due to bucket width. I have about 20-25 lbs mounted on the front of my bucket, to help keep the nose down. But it's only a 24" bucket. Someone with the same type of machine but a 28" bucket, for instance, must get some extra weight at the nose "for free". That's assuming machines of the same brand and style, not also moving the axle forward or back.

So if comparing machine X to machine Y in terms of needing extra weight, or wanting to ride up onto a snowbank, bucket width should probably at least be stated in the comparisons. And ideally, yes, you'd be able to check how hard the bucket is pushing down.

Thanks for checking this, 1132le, that's interesting info. Maybe I'll try to check it on mine at some point. Ideally, you'd prop up the rear wheels to be at the same height as the scale, to keep the machine level when checking this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts