Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I pulled the ol Ariens out the other day and the wheel axle was seized.
I didn't try terribly hard as I had the pin pulled on the right wheel to allow easy turning but it kept dragging the left tire. I started it and it broke it free easily.

They use a ton of salt on our road and unfortunately the Ariens gets a lot of it. I try to blow some fresh snow to get the road stuff out of it before storing, but often I get stuck wheels etc regardless.

I'm curious what was likely stuck? The ball bearings on the shaft it self or something else internally?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
AH, yes,

Sadly that "ANNUAL RESIDENT EVIL" "Electo-Chemical Corrosion" has arrived at your beautiful snow mule again.
If it helps spread the misery around a little I still have salt water leaching out of the center rumble strips/road divots on the road here.

If you can get both the wheels off and sand the axle shafts smooth its best to use a never sieze compound on the wheel bores to prevent the metals from gluing together due to the corrosion.

The best rule of thumb is to make your first pass down to the end of the driveway and kill off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER(the mess left by our overpaid highway departments) first and making five passes wide or the width of the salt pattern that was tossed and wasted by the salt spreader on to your driveway or mine for that matter.

AS someone who worked in the rock salt business I had the displeasure of seeing all the executives I worked for slobbering and drooling all over when the salt season started on September first and ended on May first of every year.
(it gives innocent heifers and steers at the watering trough a bad name its so bad).

After you have cleared off the salt laden slush and shale crap off the end of the driveway and fed the little moat monsters and also avoided being tripped up by them as they are demanding belly rubs after being fed you can start clearing the driveway of the fresh salt free snow that remains as this snow will have no salt in it and it will help flush the salt brine out of the cross auger housing and impeller housing of your beautiful snow blower

If you have hot water to flush out all the ice and snow left on your beautiful snow blower all the better and even better if you have a warm place to wash it and flush the crap off of it as you can rinse it off well.

In my case I use a kerosene fired salamander to heat up my snow pups and truck and tractor during the season and also drying them out when i am done using them and I will be doing the same thing with the "original" Garden Way/Troy built snow blower I was given when my brothers purchased a barely used MTD built Troy-Bilt Artic 45 inch snow blower from individual on the Vermont/Maine border late last year.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AH, yes,

Sadly that "ANNUAL RESIDENT EVIL" "Electo-Chemical Corrosion" has arrived at your beautiful snow mule again.
If it helps spread the misery around a little I still have salt water leaching out of the center rumble strips/road divots on the road here.

If you can get both the wheels off and sand the axle shafts smooth its best to use a never sieze compound on the wheel bores to prevent the metals from gluing together due to the corrosion.

The best rule of thumb is to make your first pass down to the end of the driveway and kill off the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER(the mess left by our overpaid highway departments) first and making five passes wide or the width of the salt pattern that was tossed and wasted by the salt spreader on to your driveway or mine for that matter.

AS someone who worked in the rock salt business I had the displeasure of seeing all the executives I worked for slobbering and drooling all over when the salt season started on September first and ended on May first of every year.
(it gives innocent heifers and steers at the watering trough a bad name its so bad).

After you have cleared off the salt laden slush and shale crap off the end of the driveway and fed the little moat monsters and also avoided being tripped up by them as they are demanding belly rubs after being fed you can start clearing the driveway of the fresh salt free snow that remains as this snow will have no salt in it and it will help flush the salt brine out of the cross auger housing and impeller housing of your beautiful snow blower

If you have hot water to flush out all the ice and snow left on your beautiful snow blower all the better and even better if you have a warm place to wash it and flush the crap off of it as you can rinse it off well.

In my case I use a kerosene fired salamander to heat up my snow pups and truck and tractor during the season and also drying them out when i am done using them and I will be doing the same thing with the "original" Garden Way/Troy built snow blower I was given when my brothers purchased a barely used MTD built Troy-Bilt Artic 45 inch snow blower from individual on the Vermont/Maine border late last year.

Hi leonz,
Thank you for responding.

Any idea what caused the actual axle to seize in the machine momentarily? I assume it had to be the ball bearings ended up with too much salt water in them vs grease, but for all I know it could've been further down the line. I didn't have time to tear apart the machine to investigate and the engine was able to get the axle spinning again easily.

I'm guessing it's in for a set of new packed axle bearings this fall....

·
Premium Member
7,310 Posts
time for some maintenance. something like this is only the tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Sadly, its both electro chemical corrosion and aenerobic corrosion both,.
Are the bearings mounted in the wheel bores themselves???? if so please be careful when replacing them. If the bearings are pressed into the wheel hubs they probably have salt in them too so they need to be replaced.

Fixed my typos ;^0

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, its both electro chemical corrosion and aenerobic corrosion both, are the bearings mounted in the wheel bores themselves???? if so please be careful when replacing them. If the bearings are pressed into the wheel hubs they probably have salt in them too so they need to be replaced.

No they're mounted in the chassis of the machine it looks like.
Probably not too big of a deal, if I take care of it before it's too late and I'm stuck in a storm.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We continue to use too much deicing salt and liquid chemical deicers and it is considered heresy and blasphemy to mention the use of sand for traction aid due to our archaic highway maintenance laws AND THE DOT ANEMIC DESIRE for a bare wet highway to maintain highway speeds at all hours and all conditions.

But what do I know??? I see the result of overuse of rock salt use and the pollution of the freshwater seasonal streams reaching chloride levels above seawater chloride percentages and I have listened to highway engineers whine "using sand creates to much maintenance for highways and storm sewer catch basins"; we have too much "pass the buckitus" in the State of New York.
Discussing the salt water that leaches out of the road divots/rubble strips gets a stare with daggers coming out of thier eyes and "it's a cost of having clear wet pavement that allows posted highway speeds".

They get defensive and laugh you off when you ask them "how can you honestly say that when a sewer cleaning vacuum truck with a boom mounted suction tube is used by a 2 man crew when you barely clean the catch basins every few years and only absolutely do it if they cause a flooded condition causing standing water on a roadway that does not have a drainage ditch system??????????????????????????????????????????

If they cleaned the catch basins more often they would get rid of most of the salt brine that sits in them in the dry months and eliminate the excess salt brine that evaporates overtime and corrodes the steel and cast iron in the catch basins; AH but what do I know.

43 years ago they used sand on my road along with salt and there was less damage to the road and less salt in the water.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
No they're mounted in the chassis of the machine it looks like.
Probably not too big of a deal, if I take care of it before it's too late and I'm stuck in a storm.
============================================================================================
Chris; if you can tell us which machine you have down to the body/frame serial number we be can be sure that you will not have trouble in replacing them if you do the work yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Are they bearings or bushings, most machines have axle bushings.

You should probably wash down your machine thoroughly with a hose before you store it at the end of the season. After washing you should lube all recommended components and perform an oil change and drain the fuel or at least make sure you have stabilizer in the fuel if you are not draining.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
============================================================================================
Chris; if you can tell us which machine you have down to the body/frame serial number we be can be sure that you will not have trouble in replacing them if you do the work yourself.
It's an Ariens 924108 aka "824ST" from 1999., don't recall serial number.

Are they bearings or bushings, most machines have axle bushings.

You should probably wash down your machine thoroughly with a hose before you store it at the end of the season. After washing you should lube all recommended components and perform an oil change and drain the fuel or at least make sure you have stabilizer in the fuel if you are not draining.
From what I see on the exploded view they're ball bearings.

·
Registered
466 Posts

The ball bearings seized up.

Most snow blowers including the newer Ariens have plastic flange bearings/ bushings. They won't seize up, but they do wear out overtime.

Ariens seems to make them right as they don't wear out that quick vs. the MTD ones. Just grease them, or spray lubricants in them yearly and they will last.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The ball bearings seized up.

Most snow blowers including the newer Ariens have plastic flange bearings/ bushings. They won't seize up, but they do wear out overtime.

Ariens seems to make them right as they don't wear out that quick vs. the MTD ones. Just grease them, or spray lubricants in them yearly and they will last.

From the pictures it looks like they're just shielded bearings wheres the impeller bearing is sealed.

Wonder if switching to sealed for the wheels would be beneficial. I can't see them getting very hot at the speed they operate at.

·
Registered
466 Posts
From the pictures it looks like they're just shielded bearings wheres the impeller bearing is sealed.

Wonder if switching to sealed for the wheels would be beneficial. I can't see them getting very hot at the speed they operate at.
I was talking about greasing the plastic flange bearings/bushings yearly. With ball bearings, you don't need to do that.

I believe that you have sealed ball bearings. They just went bad and need to be replaced (nothing work forever). You can try to pop the seals out and pack more grease in there. I saw one guy who did that. He got a few more years out of it. The rust is already in there so just replace them. Ball bearings are cheap now a day. Try aftermarket ball bearings and see how they work.

Snow blowers don't go fast so ball bearing is not a must. Flange bearings work just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts