Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Craftsman snow blower. Used the machine and heard a clunk and machine stopped. Gas looked empty. Filled tank and tried to pull rope starter and moves a few inches and then jammed.:eek:

Tried electric start and no go. Took rope starter off and it works good. Removing hood to access plug is my next step. I'll see if I can turn engine over with plug removed.:confused:

It seems that something is seized.:(

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Sounds like maybe a broken rod. Not sounding good. Look on both sides of the engine and see if it is cracked or has a hole in it. With the belt cover or recoil off see if the crank will turn backwards. If it turns like half a turn in each direction and stops something in the engine is probably broken.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when was the last time you checked the oil??????
October. Greased the machine and silicone the chutes and checked the oil which is 5/30 synthetic. First time I used it this year. I'm in Buffalo, hit with the massive snow fall. Cutting thru 4 feet of snow when it happened. Got an extra 2 feet to top the 4 feet.:mad:

Haven't heard but one other snow blower the last few days.:confused: It's almost worthless using them.:mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
when was the last time you checked the oil??????
Bingo!
It was filled with oil. Per your post checked the dipstick and no oil?:(

Found that the bottom, oil fill plastic cap?, had come off and all the oil blew out. With feet of snow had no indication it was blowing out.:(

If I buy a replacement I will safety wire the cap in place.

Think I got the right replacement engine here. Will remove old and buy the attached.
link: Briggs and Stratton Engines 12c3140131e1CO 7.75 HP Intek Snow Series Horizontal Engine

·
Registered
370 Posts
October. Greased the machine and silicone the chutes and checked the oil which is 5/30 synthetic. First time I used it this year. I'm in Buffalo, hit with the massive snow fall. Cutting thru 4 feet of snow when it happened. Got an extra 2 feet to top the 4 feet.:mad:

Haven't heard but one other snow blower the last few days.:confused: It's almost worthless using them.:mad:
I'm in Rochester, I'm pretty sure you guys are going to win the annual snowfall competition this year. I was thinking about how with the kind of snow you guys got you would have to repeatedly clear the snow as it fell or the blower would be useless.

P.S. $10 an hour is not nearly worth it to shovel 6 feet of snow even if they throw in a free ticket to a game that might be moved anyways.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm in Rochester, I'm pretty sure you guys are going to win the annual snowfall competition this year. I was thinking about how with the kind of snow you guys got you would have to repeatedly clear the snow as it fell or the blower would be useless.

P.S. $10 an hour is not nearly worth it to shovel 6 feet of snow even if they throw in a free ticket to a game that might be moved anyways.
There was a slight coating of ice/slush under the snow, with a delightful 4 feet of snow on top the first day. Topped with 2 more feet the next day. Wind was gusting also.:mad:

Buffalo avg is 93 inches of snow a season, Syracuse 117 inches, Rochester 92 inches. Think my area got 65 inches in two days.:D

Snow plows are worthless. The government has to use pay loaders and trucks to remove the snow. At least 4 feet of packed snow on the streets.

Highly doubtful the Bills game will be played in Orchard Park this week.:eek:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Good time to try a Harbor Freight Predator engine.
Yea, those are only $100 and you can pick them up locally assuming the stores are open and you can get there. Make sure to take a 25% off coupon with you. Might want to check the shaft on your engine first and see if they will be the same.

·
Registered
864 Posts

yeh $10 an hour is a joke. $20 is more like it.
with snow like that you need a big asz snowblower and have to run it every 1/2 hour to keep it clear. once it gets up over the chute, forgettaboutit,....

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
yeh $10 an hour is a joke. $20 is more like it.
Well, to be fair, it was $10 an hour, *plus* free tickets to the game.
(I dont know if it was one or two tickets per person)
So when you factor in the ticket price, they would have been "paid" more than $10 an hour..

its a moot point now anyway..the game has been moved to Detroit! ;)

Scot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate all the helpful replies.

UPDATE: I was told to pull plug , add MMO and let soak for a few days , then use a breaker bar to break the engine seize. Did the MMO yesterday and will give the breaker bar a try in the next few days. Plus I was thinking of using an impact gun, if breaker bar doesn't work.

As for replacement engines, the one I linked, looks like a "direct replacement", so I don't have to re-engineer anything in my small packed garage in this cold weather. Also the old one could be a parts engine, which I'll probably never need.

The linked B&S has "electric start" which I want, plus an alternator for the machine headlight as does the seized engine. I would hope it's NOS and "Made in the USA".

link: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Product...1e1CO/2647421/s

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good News, Bad News

Engine turned over after 2 oz of MMO,overnight soak. Today tipped engine to check something some MMO came out , had spark plug lose in hole, tick off, put wrench on crankshaft nut and engine turned over. Drained engine of little oil and added 20 oz that was required. Overfill on dipstick about 1/8" ? :confused:

Went with it, started engine and it ran. Starting using it and after a while notice dripping oil. Turned off opened dipstick and positive pressure, went poof, like opening a soda bottle. Ran back to garage and notice power was very weak on return.:eek:

Thinking rings are gone? Imaging if I replace , will have to get a ring compressor tool to get piston into block?

I see some people advertise doing barn jobs on small engines around Buffalo.

Probably will try to do myself but might wait till spring.:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts